Subnetting Question Again!!!

billgbillg Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
I asked the question before and the answers that I have received stated that it was only necessary to have a understanding knowledge of what subnetting is and why it is needed. I am using both of the following books to study "Exam Prep 2" and "The Complete Guide to Networking and Network+". Both authors seem to stress the importance of learning how to subnet for the exam as it will be covered. Will I be asked a question on how to subnet a given address or do I just need to know what it is and why?

Comments

• TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Why rely on people here or authors of maybe out of date books. If you go to CompTIA you can download the 13 page PDF file that has the official exam objectives.

http://certification.comptia.org/resources/objectives.aspx

A search of that document lists sub-netting only once in section 2.7 which states.

2.7 Identify the purpose of subnetting.

I am sure there are FAQ's everywhere that say how to do this as it is the same for all tests from any cert agency Microsoft, Cisco, CompTIA etc. You can't expect to be tested if they don't tell you what you must know. You would be surprised how many ghost writers there are for authors whom may not even posses the cert that they are writing about. I read in a thread here that the bottom of the IT ladder was computer operator or cable b*tch. Below that are ghost writers. icon_wink.gif
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    I don't understand how you can be MCSE certified and not know how to subnet IPv4. Microsoft claims Network Infrastructure on some of the exams. Surely, the ability to pass any real Network Infrastructure exam must require the ability to subnet IPv4 with a great deal of confidence and accuracy.
    People assume a lot about what an MCSE should know that is not true. icon_wink.gif I see MCSE's all the time that do not know how to install additional memory, much less how to build a system from parts, yet many assume that they should know everything about a PC. MCSE's are required to know about Microsoft technologies period. Hardware ends at the cable and software ends at what Microsoft makes or interfaces to. If you can handle the little properties box for a NIC, depending on what tests that you take for your MCSE, you are good to go. That is why certs like A+, CCNA and Server+ should not be scoffed at for being well rounded.
    TheShadow wrote:
    Hardware ends at the cable and software ends at what Microsoft makes or interfaces to.

Then, I think Microsoft should not be using the term "Network Infrastructure".

We have some MCSEs where I work, and they assure me that they had to learn everything there is to know about networks, except how to configure Cisco gear, for the MCSE exams. I have had my doubts for a long time.
    Originally Microsoft had a separate Network Infrastructure exam. They did away with it years ago. I think you answered your question with the configuring Cisco gear or equivalent. Is there more to know other than what is a subnet and someone setting up that Cisco gear will give you an IP address and subnet mask? :) Don't get me wrong many MCSE's understand subnetting very very well but also many don't. Ask around at work with specific questions and be amazed.
    TheShadow wrote:
    I think you answered your question with the configuring Cisco gear or equivalent.

Well, recently, there were 3 MCSEs trying to get a new printer to work, but couldn't. They told me that there was a network problem. The setting page out of the printer looked fine, and I could connect my laptop to the printer's switch port. It's not really my job to fix these things, but I thought I would help.

I waited until they move to their next problem, and I looked at the PC they had been using. The network address on the PC was completely wrong so I fixed it. Everything started coming out of the printer.

They demanded to know what I did so I told them. They got mad and told me that the IP address on the PC didn't matter. Any IP address should work. When I tried to explain that the PC had to have an address on the subnet to which the PC was attached, I was told that they were MCSEs which meant that they were network gurus, and I didn't know what I was talking about. They think I fixed the printer's switch port.
    Well there we have it then don't we. icon_eek.gif Move silently when in the realm of Gurus or they might collectively smite thee while stepping over their shortcomings. :D I have always been one who believes that facts speak for themselves and generally keep them close by. Your facts were not believed because one must be aware that there is a hole in one knowledge first. Most unfortunate. icon_cry.gif
  • agustinchernitskyagustinchernitsky Member Posts: 299
    Well, the MS requirements for networking are really low. they want you to know what a gateway is, configure DHCP and DNS. Ah, of course, static routes.

From all the exams I took with MS, none asked me about subnetting. They use classfull addresses to test you on routing.

If you want to know how to subnet, you should look into CCNA, where you will have a solid basic understanding of networking...

This is IMO...
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Those MCSEs with the printer problem probably got a few of those type of questions wrong. You're supposed to know that the IP has to match the network based on the subnet mask.

But I got stuff from clients all the time. Clients that are supposed to be installing the stuff, since they are resellers. Basic routing they often didn't know.
    I don't mean to insult MCSEs, and I know a couple at work that I really respect. It is just that when this happened (picture 3 MCSEs peering into a PC, then going back an forth to the printer), I thought to myself, "It's like a joke: How many MCSEs does it take to connect a printer?"
    None, thats a hardware problem.