Why you will fail the CISSP

papadocpapadoc Member Posts: 154
A bit controversial title, just copying the title of the YouTube video I happened across. A bit alarmist in nature but there is some genuinely good stuff with regards to the "cone of learning" and why reading books cover to cover 3X-5X and still failing with test takers wondering, "what did I do wrong." There is an interesting bit at the end, the trainer asks for $499 from you to coach you through the exam prep and will cover the cost of the exam if you fail. If this was already posted, apologies for the repost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b87yfzOwzxc

Comments

• imthatguyimthatguy Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I saw this too..some decent mind tricks and strategy in there.
  • WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    Why do people fail CISSP, it's because they don't have the hands on , real-world experience needed to determine the "right" answer. there is a reason why ISC2 expects you to have a certain number of years experience in Information Security...This is one exam you have to earn...Both with experience and countless hours studying...
  • imthatguyimthatguy Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree--I dont think the exam tips in the video will hurt, but I definitely would not count on them to carry me through the exam unless I had a solid understanding of the concepts and vocabulary, the types of questions ISC2 likes to ask, as well as relative hands-on experience.
  • RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    WilliamK99 wrote: »
    Why do people fail CISSP, it's because they don't have the hands on , real-world experience needed to determine the "right" answer. there is a reason why ISC2 expects you to have a certain number of years experience in Information Security...This is one exam you have to earn...Both with experience and countless hours studying...

Buuu..buu...but I thought a piece of paper makes us smart? icon_rolleyes.gif
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • FalasiFalasi Member Posts: 115
    While the experience is a requirement; still people can pass without having any (that's why there is the associate of ISC2 title). outside of US.Gov where you "should" follow best practices (I hope at least) people still struggle in finding the value of security , some go the easy and most expensive route with more devices using the Fear and doubt to get management approval. some do as being taught over the years by a senior guy and don't know any better.

When I did my CISSP 1st time I had 2 years of experience with a "just do it" guy. we hardly document anything. I used my experience to write CISSP and I failed. I couldnt understand the reason. 2 more years later I moved to another company and my senior tought me one thing : "when you right CISSP don't think about the way we do things here; instead think of the perfect world... at least with the questions related to security management." I passed all my exams following this.

don't get me wrong; my case might be exceptional however the knowledge you gain from studying for CISSP should allow you to go back and validate what you are doing to either enhance or rework your methods. digging a hole with one's head for 15 year shouldn't be considered "better" than using a shovel for (1) year.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    And let's all realize that (at least) a little bit of luck is involved in every success.