Doubt about CCVP equipments

alone11alone11 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Thanking all friends in this forum for all help they have done .

I have doubt about CCVP equipments : what are the equipments that
should be there in the training institute for CCVP labs ?

specially for these two papers QOS & CVOICE .
and if can give a brief information about each one it will be much better.

thank you in advance

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    For the equipment for a training institute I'd go with what's in the equipment requirement for the Voice CCIE Lab exam.
    http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/ccie/voice/lab_equipment.html

For a CCVP home lab, I'd skip the 6500, the Unity server, and the Cisco Unity Express. I used 3640 routers instead of the 3725 routers.... and a VG200 instead of the VG248. I haven't taken the troubleshooting exam yet, but if they don't ask about the ATA186, you could skip that for a home lab. Some of the old MC3810s might still be useful in a home lab (but only if they come with the cards installed at a cheap price).

For QOS all you really need are a couple of routers and a couple of voice routers (FXS and FXO cards, NM-V1 or NM-V2 to hold them, depending on your routers) to generate some RTP traffic. You'd probably want at least 1 2950 switch, and the 3550-PWR would also be nice to have here. If you had some old 2900-XL switches in a home lab, there would be some difference in the number of queues supported by the switches. If you don't have a switch that supplies inline power, then you could use power cubes for the IP Phones (which you'll need here to generate some traffic and get classified by the switches).

Use the same routers from QOS for the CVOICE configurations and add the Call Manager Server, the voice gateway, and maybe the gatekeeper -- but this is at a simple level here.

For CIPT and GWGK you'd want your multiple Call Manager servers, and your gateway(s) and gatekeeper(s) up and running.

For IPTT... this is where it seems it would be nice to have the Unity stuff and 6500. I'll know in about 2 weeks if you can skip this hardware for this exam. I did see enough reference to Unity a couple weeks back while studying for this exam that I did check out the Cisco Unity exams and the exam topics.

For specific exam information, I've just been checking the exam blueprints (topics) here:
    http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/le2/le37/le65/learning_certification_type_home.html
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • convenientstoreconvenientstore Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    can i do this with 5300?

I have couple 5300 at work for practice...
    What's the configuration of the 5300s?

What I had posted above worked for me -- no 6500 or Unity Server. Unity did come up in troubleshooting -- but nothing major.

I also had a 4 Line POTS Simulator and Ascend Max 6000 (8 ISDN S/T, 8 FXS, 4 T1/PRI).

I also had a couple of FAX/Scanner/Printers and a laptop with FAX Modem.
  • Johnny 5Johnny 5 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I agree with the suggestion of using a VG200 for a gateway. Make sure you get one with 16F/64M. I got mine on eBay for only $50 US. A NM-2V and VIC-2FXS is also a must have, which I paid around $200. I also picked up a VIC-2FXO and 1-MFT-T1 and while they were nice to play with I ended up not seeing too many troubleshooting questions about these during the CCVP process.

Agree that for QoS, all you need is a couple routers and two things that can generate RTP traffic. I used two 3640s and sometimes my 871W (which was a great little router/switch/AP for CCNP). An 2950 and IP Phone would also be very useful for experimenting with CoS/DSCP and trust boundaries.

Agree the Unity questions on IPTT aren't that tough. I hadn't touched Unity in over 6 months and did just fine on them.

The real question is do you need a CallManager server. I would say probably yes, although with a few good months of work experience and hard study, you can get through CIPT and IPTT without one.
  • sexion8sexion8 Member Posts: 242
    3810's... I love em, I've got 2 of them, and I also have a 2620 with Vic2FXS on it, I was thinking about taking it out and putting it on another machine though, I have the 2620 dedicated right now for ISDN stuff. The 3810's can be had for under 100 including shipping, I bought one for 41 with 20 shipping. But I snagged it on xmas day on eBay so its likely no one was even thinking about stuff. I need to really decide what to do ... Focus on the CCIE (security) or work my way up....
    "Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius
  • Johnny 5Johnny 5 Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow, I'd never even heard of the 3810 (thought you meant 3845). Saw a picture and it looks like an old 2500 on steroids!

Does the 3810 have DSPs? Also, what is the highest IOS version it can run?

The VG200 has DSPs using the NM-2V and I'm running IOS 12.3(21). The feature set supports MGCP, H.323, and SIP.
  • sexion8sexion8 Member Posts: 242
    Johnny 5 wrote:
    Wow, I'd never even heard of the 3810 (thought you meant 3845). Saw a picture and it looks like an old 2500 on steroids!

Does the 3810 have DSPs? Also, what is the highest IOS version it can run?

The VG200 has DSPs using the NM-2V and I'm running IOS 12.3(21). The feature set supports MGCP, H.323, and SIP.

12.3 (mainline not T).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps1904/prod_eol_notice09186a008032d4ab.html

http://www.infiltrated.net/mydesk/homelab/lab13.jpg I'll take one without the covers on it one day. I have the high compression voice mod on it and some other stuff. If i get some time this weekend I will play with it more and post the configs, etc
    "Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius
  • Ferret999Ferret999 Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Quick question can you use a 2600 with the NM-2V module and VIC-2FXS and VIC-2FXO in it as a gateway instead of the the VG200?
    Ferret999 wrote:
    Quick question can you use a 2600 with the 2M-2V module and VIC-2FXS and VIC-2FXO in it as a gateway instead of the the VG200?
    Quick Answer - Yes
    sexion8 wrote:
    3810's... I love em, I've got 2 of them
    I had 2 MC3810s, but now have 3 -- and 2 more (MC3810-V3) are on the way. Still lots of phone calls left in these old guys :D

Avoid buying an empty chassis -- buying the parts to fill the empty chassis may cost you a lot more than just buying a "good" MC3810 in the first place. Check the Cisco Documentation to get an idea of what's available -- Overview of the Cisco MC3810 Series. There are some "sweet deals" on eBay, and some real "dogs" -- so shop smart and do your research. Ask for the output from a "show version" if one isn't provided already.

I'm starting the "2008 home lab upgrade" to support my "2008 Certification Plan" -- and all the upgrades are leaning towards Voice, since I'm already good on R&S and Security.

I've got a 1760 (and parts to upgrade to the "-V" ) plus the optional VPN module and an NM-HDV with a VWIC-1MFT-T1 on the way. I've added a 2650 and another 3640 so I won't have to mess with my R&S CCIE Practice Lab. I also added a VIC-2DID and grabbed a VIC-2E/M and another NM-2V with VIC-2FXS & VIC-2FXO (since the price was too good to pass up icon_eek.gif ).

I'm still debating adding an 1841, 2811(s), a few more phones, and another electrical circuit to my icon_santa.gif list.

And I'm checking the Cisco Docs to see what stuff works with which things -- but I'm pretty sure I have enough things to put the stuff in for now.

Overview of Cisco Network Modules for Cisco Access Routers

Cisco IP Communications Voice/Fax Network Modules for the Cisco 2600XM Series, Cisco 2691, Cisco 2800, 3600, 3700, and 3800 Series Voice Gateway Routers

IP Communications High-Density Digital Voice/Fax Network Modules for the Cisco 2600XM, Cisco 2691, Cisco 2800, Cisco 3700 and Cisco 3800 Series Multiservice Access Routers

can i do this with 5300?
    I saw a very cheap 5300 on eBay -- but other then a bunch of modems, it wouldn't have added any new capabilities to my home lab -- so I passed. But this one was sooooooo cheap I was still tempted -- even though I don't need another Voice Gateway. At the right price (with the right toys) AS5300/Voice Gateways could still be very useful for voice study.
  • pullin-gspullin-gs Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Which handsets should I try to get for my lab?

More questions to come shortly (call manager setup).

Thanks
    pullin-gs wrote:
    Which handsets should I try to get for my lab?

For the CCVP the Cisco 7940 and Cisco 7960 should be good. I've also got some older cheaper phones like the 7910 and 7912 that I use when I want some extra extensions. I'll probably pick up a few more 7960s since they've been going for around $100 on eBay lately.
  • suksuk Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ferret999 wrote:
    Quick question can you use a 2600 with the 2M-2V module and VIC-2FXS and VIC-2FXO in it as a gateway instead of the the VG200?

Quick Answer - Yes

Mikej
    About this question that you gave a quick answer to, what would be a detailed answer?
    suk wrote:
    what would be a detailed answer?
    Yes, make sure you have an IOS version and feature set that supports the voice features you want to use (and the memory/flash to support it). :D
  • suksuk Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Does this mean the VG200 always has the right IOS and the DRAM/FLASH required to run voice features?
    suk wrote:
    Does this mean the VG200 always has the right IOS and the DRAM/FLASH required to run voice features?
    You can check the Cisco IOS Feature Navigator using the platform option to check out what was available for the VG200..... but it appears that there was only the one feature set - MGCP/H323 VOIP GATEWAY

The difference would be the features available between the releases of the software and the memory required.

The 12.2 versions required 32 meg DRAM and 8 meg Flash.

The 12.3 versions required 64 meg DRAM and 16 meg Flash.

The capabilities of your VG200 would also be determined by what modules it had, and the memory determinies the IOS version you could run (vg200-i6s-mz)

Check out the Cisco VG200 Data Sheet for more specific information.