PMP Eligibility Requirements -- Education?

For the "35 hours of project management education" requirement.. is there any easy way around this? I have experience managing projects but my B.S. is in Networking.. I don't want to have to take a college course or pay for formal training. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!
A.S. - Computer Networking: Cisco
B.S. - Computer & Network Security

Comments

• BoldsmithBoldsmith Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you are planning to get 35 hours of project management education certificate, I guess, School of PM offers 35 hours of project management education certificate even before their prep courses.

PMP Exam Prep Course - PMI Certification Training: School of PM
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    @NavyIT the short answer is no... it is a requirement to ensure that those taking the exams are truly qualified, committed, and prepared for the exam. It also helps eliminate paper tigers, who in theory could pass without truly knowing the material. At least by requiring education, they are ensuring that those who pass have at least some formal training/education in project management, to help protect the cert from dingleberries who happen to get lucky and pass.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • bill5bill5 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Boldsmith wrote: »
    If you are planning to get 35 hours of project management education certificate, I guess, School of PM offers 35 hours of project management education certificate even before their prep courses.

PMP Exam Prep Course - PMI Certification Training: School of PM
    Yeah and it's "only" $2000. (a mere $1000 if you're one of the first to sign up)

I'm sure you can find a nearby college with a relevant course that is quite a bit cheaper. :)

PS: this brings up another question to mind though: what kind of courses would they accept? I didn't see anything in the "PMP certification handbook" (a mere 8 zillion pages long) that really clarifies. They just say "...course on project management..." how do they determine what qualifies?
  • zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Was reading over this and thought some might find this useful.. I have been considering pursuing the PMP in the future so thought this might be worthwhile. It looks like it covers the 35 education hours needed and right now if you go through Groupon you can get access to the course for 99$ which is much cheaper than discussed above.

http://www.learnsmartsystems.com/Catalogs/projectmanagement/

Project-Manager Certification - LearnSmart | Groupon

I have no idea how good the course is or not but it is worth looking into.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Sweet, I will look into it... keep in mind too that with the Post-9/11 GI Bill, certain training organizations qualify for certain training programs... I am pretty sure that CED SOlutions (Atlanta) is approved for PMP training, and I think there are a few others (like New Horizon.)
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • TheBugcrusherTheBugcrusher Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @NavyIT, I think I will echo @colemic and say that if you don't put in the time, you're not getting anything out of it, and those people who simply want to pass the exams by knowing the answers but not understanding them are doing a great disservice to themselves, but to their future employers.

That said, I think this free offering should cover it easily.

https://www.coursera.org/specialization/projectmanagement/18

The online course is provided by University of California, Irvine