Need help on A20 Citrix XenApp 6.5 Administration

abhaypatil00abhaypatil00 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Presently I am working as Application Packaging engineer, where we package the application developed by the developers for all kinds OS (XP, Win7, Vista, Server2003, Server2008 ) and some citrix appliations. I found Citrix interesting and started learning. I know some basic of Citrix such as the architecture, the farm, how it works, data store, licensing server how to publish application on server...etc. But I don't have any hands on experience. I want to get into Citrix administration, so is it good to go for "A20 Citrix XenApp 6.5 Administration" . Will it help me in getting some job on Citrix administration?. Or I have to go with some other options ?. Please suggest your valuable views.

Comments

• dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    Studying and passing the A20 will obviously broaden your knowledge on Citrix XenApp. Like any exam though it won't carry you through an interview but when its on your CV it will tick some boxes and help get you in an interview.
    For studying there only really one book on the subject. Its quite light on content but might be easier to read than edocs :)http://www.amazon.co.uk/Getting-Started-Citrix-XenApp-6-5-ebook/dp/B008AWTX8U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408437914&sr=8-1&keywords=Xenapp+6.5

Citrix XenApp 6.5 is still widely used which the A20 is based on but depending on what you are looking to do with the qualification you might want to look at more recent versions of the exams as XenApp 6.5 and its architecture is not being developed any more. from XenDesktop 7 the architecture is different and XenApp as was is no more.
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
  • abhaypatil00abhaypatil00 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is certification necessary to get into Citrix administration job. ?
    So should I go with the "A20 Citrix XenApp 6.5 Administration" certification or some other which is useful according to current market situation.
  • csamuels82csamuels82 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As of Friday I am now a CCA(still waiting for the info to get into the cert manager system). I chose to study for the A20 because that is what my employer is using now. We do have upgrading to Xen 7 on the road map but that is a ways away.

As for study materials, we'll you don't have many options but honestly you don't need many. I used the citrix videos from pluralsight, citrix edocs, The getting started with citrix xenapp by Guilliermo Musumeci. I also built me a nice computer rig for gaming but added a ton of ram for my labs. Vmware workstation rocks in that regard.
  • shaX 07shaX 07 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    csamuels82 wrote: »
    As of Friday I am now a CCA(still waiting for the info to get into the cert manager system). I chose to study for the A20 because that is what my employer is using now. We do have upgrading to Xen 7 on the road map but that is a ways away.

As for study materials, we'll you don't have many options but honestly you don't need many. I used the citrix videos from pluralsight, citrix edocs, The getting started with citrix xenapp by Guilliermo Musumeci. I also built me a nice computer rig for gaming but added a ton of ram for my labs. Vmware workstation rocks in that regard.

Do you think the Pluralsight videos are worth the cost of the subscription to that web site? Or do you think you could have passed the A20 just using that Citrix book you mentioned, along with the Citrix eDocs?

I have that book already, and would like to sit for the A20, however I don't do Citrix administration in my current job. I do have view access to our Citrix 6.5 farm and can poke around in there and look at stuff but I don't have admin privileges.
    Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, Server+
    Vendor Certs: Epic Client Systems Management, Epic Client Systems Management w/ Hyperspace Web
    College: B.S. - Computer Information Systems