GPO Network Share

whatsupwhatsup Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi, wondering if anyone can help
i've setup a vmware lab where i have win2003 as server and xp as client.
i am trying to assign and publish msi packages using the GPO
i keep getting the error that my network share is unavailable whenever i try to publish or assign it, i click yes to publish anyway, i can see the share on the network but i can't install it that way either, i've verified allow all permissions but still won't work.
i can also see the publish package on the xp client but when i try to install it says can find network share.

any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• SieSie Member Posts: 1,195
    Sounds like a permissions error with the network share the msi and application are stored.

Is the MSI stored in the same folder as the application?

Is it shared? what permissions on this and what NTFS permissions are set on it?
    Foolproof systems don't take into account the ingenuity of fools
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Let me ask just to make sure - do you actually have an MSI file available to install? And when you get to the step of publishing or assigning it, you browse to the actual file, as opposed to just typing in a file name and location?
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • whatsupwhatsup Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    yup, i set the permissions to full control, the folder is shared on the network and it's an msi file
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Make sure the 'Share' permissions for the 'Everyone' group are set to full control and then lock down with NTFS permissions for the 'group' you want to publish the package too.

Also, a published package will only be available to install via Add/Remove programs and won't install at Login.