Server+ in CompTIA trio vs. Security+

nuovoITnuovoIT Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

I registered on TE awhile back and have yet to become a frequent poster. Anyway, I have obtained my A+ certification, have a bachelors degree in computer information systems, and currently employed (actually, transitioning into a new position from doing QA and help desk work to tech support for a law firm, beginning Monday). Anyway, here to ask about the Server+. Obviously, you can go onto any job site whether it is Craigslist or Indeed and the CompTIA certs that come up are always A+ and/or Network+. Now, I understand, obtaining a Network+ will be good preparation for the CCNA and the marketability is very good as well.

However, my degree program was within a business school and I wound up lagging in networking, server, and these technologies. The majority of the work was systems analysis, databases, object oriented programming, etc. The reason the Server+ was something I've been thinking about was more for expanding my knowledge, it never expires, and taking it between the A+ and Network+ will make the Network+ easier to pick up and provide me with better opportunities when I transition into a new job.

Just wanted to get some thoughts on this. Isn't it true that the Server+ will not only provide a good base for vendor specific server certifications but also a prerequisite?

The reason I was considering opting out of the Security+ was since my path would make more logical sense to go from Network+ to CCNA. So my path here, from what I understand of the exams is A+ -> Server+ -> Network+ -> CCNA. Then perhaps, Microsoft certs. And the CompTIA certs will transfer over as elective credit for some of the Microsoft certs.

With the economy the way it is and the fact that most employers want a candidate to come in knowing quite a bit with a minimal amount of training, would this be a good route? I finished school this past May, working doing QA and help desk work while completing the bachelors degree, going to being a new tech support position. But question is, how do I move into a network admin, systems admin, or datacenter role without atleast being able to come into an interview knowing more then just the basics?

Any help, comments, advice will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Comments

• JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I were you, I wouldn't do Network+ and Server+. I would replace Network+ with CCENT and then do the second exam to get the CCNA. If you plan on taking the CCNA then skip the Network+, it'll be a waste of time and money for you. For the Server+, I definitely learned a lot from the book but is it worth it to pay for the exam? I don't think so. I've actually never seen a job posting with a Server+ requirement or anything. Again, it'll be a waste of almost 300$ but I do recommend maybe buying the book, it did help me a bit when I got out of school. And I believe that it does expire actually after 3 years.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Read the Server+ book and get comfortable with the material, but don't bother studying in depth enough to pass the exam or pay for it.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah, I would agree with the others above. No point going for Server+, I doubt it has been updated lately - I think the last update of the objectives was 2009 by the looks of things which is 5 years ago!! I would also agree with going for CCENT before Network+. You can read both Network+ & Server+ books but not take the exams - you still gain the knowledge but save some money for better ROI on other higher certs.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations on completing your A+ certification! Since you already have a degree and an entry level IT job I would strongly suggest you skip the CompTia certs (except maybe Security+). Those certifications are primarily entry level to help you land your first job. I think you are ready to setup it up and go for some Microsoft or Cisco certs.

Best of luck to you!
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • nuovoITnuovoIT Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @JasminLandry: What kind of recognition do CompTIA, Cisco, and/or Microsoft certs have in Montreal, Canada? I'm curious as I am willing to relocate should I be able to advance my career. I'm single, live in NYC at the moment. But keeping my options open. I speak Italian, German, French (European French, in Quebec it is a bit different). I had been mostly interested in the possibility of relocating to Switzerland or Germany for work.

@ajs1976: Yes, I mainly wanted it so that if I go into an interview I can show HR that I know something, plus if it helps get me through a pre-employment exam, it is worth while. Would it be of benefit in this regard?

@Asif Dasl: Yes, it does seem dated. In IT, even 2009 seems like awhile back. But it wouldn't provide a strong base, a jumping off point? If the economy was actually recovering and the competition for jobs wasn't high, and employers were willing to train you, I wouldn't bother thinking about this.

@iBrokeIT: Thanks, the A+ wasn't to bad. Honestly, I felt it has a good ROI. Plenty of jobs advertised requiring or preferring the certification. I've even seen listing where they wanted someone with a bachelors degree and the A+, both being requirements. The Security+, I was considering opting out of, since I believe there is a CCNA security exam. I figured it would be more practical to build the network admin skills first, then transition into security at a later time, if I wanted. Thing to is, I never have seen any jobs asking for CCENT. Network+ has come up quite a bit, also A+ and Network+ combined can be applied towards a Microsoft cert such as the MCSA, correct?
  • keitarokeitaro Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What server technology are they using at the law office? I suggest getting whatever it is that they're using.
  • datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't worry about a "jumping off point" do MCSA 2012 and CCNA and you're good...for now.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• daviddwsdaviddws Member Posts: 303 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The Server+ is going through another revision with a new test coming out this year. Also there are DoD positions that require the certification, so it is not entirely useless. I actually enjoyed studying for it.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    nuovoIT wrote: »
    @iBrokeIT: Thanks, the A+ wasn't to bad. Honestly, I felt it has a good ROI. Plenty of jobs advertised requiring or preferring the certification. I've even seen listing where they wanted someone with a bachelors degree and the A+, both being requirements. The Security+, I was considering opting out of, since I believe there is a CCNA security exam. I figured it would be more practical to build the network admin skills first, then transition into security at a later time, if I wanted. Thing to is, I never have seen any jobs asking for CCENT. Network+ has come up quite a bit, also A+ and Network+ combined can be applied towards a Microsoft cert such as the MCSA, correct?

Yes, the A+ is CompTia's best certification, most recognized and provides the best ROI. Since you already have the A+ I recommended you skip the rest of them, specifically the Network+ and Server+.

There is a ton overlap between the Network+ and CCENT so much that you are probably better off skipping the Network+ especially if you plan on getting the CCENT then taking the CCNA directly after getting the Network+.

No, the A+ and Network+ do not count towards any active Microsoft certification path. They use to count towards the elective exams for the MCSE\A 2003 and previous certification paths but those are no longer active.

You already have a degree, a helpdesk job and an entry level Comptia cert. Pursuing more CompTia certifications will not help you advance. The CCNA and MCSA will help you advance. There is certainly no harm in pursuing the Network+ and Server+ but personally I do not think they are worth the time and ROI when there are better certs to achieve.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Security + is ok, but I wouldn't recommend testing for it unless required for your job and the only organization I've seen that requires the certification or a higher security cert is the DoD. I agree with the others on going for your CCENT over your Network + as there is a lot of overlap and with CCENT, you can eventually get CCNA which is greater than Net +.