Options

Industry Standard.

imfrom51imfrom51 Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
Does anyone know what the standard is for IT personnel per users?. My boss has to show that we are understaffed. At the moment there are 3 of us (including my boss, who does the paperwork, budget etc) and we have around 500 pc's, laptops and servers and around 600 users.

If you also have the reference for this data, that would be great!

What's the ratio where you work?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It would really depend on the industry your company serves and how heavily they rely on technology. I heard somewhere the typical ratio is 1:30 or so, but that would include all IT staff including network, helpdesk, application development, IT managers, etc.

Google it...
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    Depends on the environment. At my organization there is just me and I support approxmiately 50 PCs, 45 users, and 10 servers. I don't wanna say we're understaffed, but there isn't enough of me to go around and get to EVERY project I want/need to get to in at timely fashion. But my user base never goes more than a day or 2 without me at least taking a look at there problem.

It really depends on your environment.
  • Options
    jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    Where I work, we have over 850+ computers (desktop and laptop) with approximately 200 employees. (I work in a school) and there is the Tech Director, the Network Admin, and Me...

It is always said that we need more help, but nothing is ever done to rectify it...
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • Options
    12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    users are admins 1:40
    users are locked down 1:80
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • Options
    okieokie Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    At my job in education I support approx. 450 workstations and 1200 users plus everything else that plugs into the wall.

It isn't adequate, but it has helped me get the experience that everyone wants to hire.

Crikey!