A little worries : CISSP

5502george5502george Member Posts: 264
So I finally decided to attempt the cert. I formed a study plan and decided one week per domain would be sufficient enough after reviewing the material contained in the test. So, after cracking the Harris book open, I can’t take longer than three days per domain (about 4 hours a day 7 days a week). Here I am sitting at a little over one week and have finished about half of the Harris book and 5 domains. It seems like an expanded review of security+ with management application embedded in the review. All of the review questions I can find are blatantly obvious, with two answers not even associated with the question and one an obvious distractor.

I started worrying because I am going through the material so fast and tested the 5 domains in cccure and have constantly got 80% or above.

Just to calm the nerves I will review all 5 domains, use the 11th hour book I have and look for specifically difficult sections of the domains, but is this something I should be worrying about?

Being that it is a concept based test I am learning the concepts and moving on, not going into too much detail, is this a bad idea?

As a side note I studied for the sec+ for about 6 months a year ago. I understand those domains like the back of my hand, maybe this is why this test seems to be a less concentrated review????? Thoughts?

Comments

• papadocpapadoc Member Posts: 154
    I just started studying for the exam. I am taking it very slowly so I understand everything even though I have over a decade of InfoSec experience, with this exam, I feel the devil are in the details -- which are the concepts. I am trying to make sure I really really understand the conceps. I just completed two domains in two weeks, one week per domain, but I think I really need to make that 2 weeks per domain in terms of multiple quizzes, videos, MP3s etc. I have not taken any quizzes yet, as taking them too early I find can build a "false sense of confidence." From other posters here, it appears that CCCure test bank are technical in nature while the exam is more management focused. Have you thought about looking at the McGraw Hill questions, the comments on this forum are that is more closely related to the type of questions you'll find on the CISSP exam.
  • 5502george5502george Member Posts: 264
    papadoc wrote: »
    I just started studying for the exam. I am taking it very slowly so I understand everything even though I have over a decade of InfoSec experience, with this exam, I feel the devil are in the details -- which are the concepts. I am trying to make sure I really really understand the conceps. I just completed two domains in two weeks, one week per domain, but I think I really need to make that 2 weeks per domain in terms of multiple quizzes, videos, MP3s etc. I have not taken any quizzes yet, as taking them too early I find can build a "false sense of confidence." From other posters here, it appears that CCCure test bank are technical in nature while the exam is more management focused. Have you thought about looking at the McGraw Hill questions, the comments on this forum are that is more closely related to the type of questions you'll find on the CISSP exam.

I will have to check out the videos and different material. I would like to get more information on the domains I looked at, especially software dev. as I actually find it very interesting. I definitely do not want to develop a false sense of confidence and that is why I am worried that just using the Harris book might not be enough. At least it is not enough to stimulate my interests in the domains. I am not interested in just getting the cert, but acquiring useful information that can help me do my job.
  • papadocpapadoc Member Posts: 154
    At this pace I am comfortable and looking at scheduling the test towards the end of January, early February 2015. Put together a quick Excel calendar using the pre-printed templates here: Excel Calendar Template - Printable Calendar.

You will see how fast time flies when you include 2 weeks per domain which includes reading, MP3s, videos and multiple quizzes on that segment with time to go back and study up on incorrect test answers and then re-quizzing to ensure you understand the concepts along with leaving some time for memorization. Some people can go faster than me and some might be slower than me, but that doesn't matter-- what matters is what works for you based on your personal life.
  • philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
    Don't over think it. It is a long exam but not that hard.

The technical things you need to know are here:

http://www.kilala.nl/Sysadmin/Images/CISSP_Summary_V1.1.pdf

Know your standards and regs, and how they apply.

Know the business processes.

I studied in 4 days for this exam, 8 hours a day using the above PDF

11th hour, and McGraw hill questions.

The worst part is its so freaking long.
  • Me86Me86 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi papadoc, I wasn't able to see your calendar in the link you provided...
    Is it possible to see it somewhere ?
    Thanks
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Papadoc is not linking to his specific calendar. He's just showing what he used.
  • Me86Me86 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • 5502george5502george Member Posts: 264
    ...Yeah, ok its getting kinda sticky now.

I am a crypto/IA guy so I flew through cryp, ac, bcp, soft, phy, and ops. Got to Telecom and although I felt I got the concepts I got a 60% on the review tests. I was scratching my head going WTF, when did I read about this crap!
    icon_sad.gif
    All in all I am going to have to slow down for Telcom, prob sec arc and law for sure.