Options

Concerned about the SSCP

jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
Alright, I've been studying for the SSCP using the All-In-One guide. I also use the CISSP book to study from as another source and to learn a little more.

I've memorized a lot of the stuff that I didn't know before from the SSCP book and I try to watch video's about the things that I'm not so sure about such as PKI and some encryption stuff.

The main concern is that I feel that I understand a lot of the material but I'm not really able to explain it like I would explain routing and switching. I read that this exam tests the understanding of how things work but how can I know when I'm ready to take the exam when I'm not so sure that I understand everything. I try to explain things to myself in order to practice my understanding.

I took a practice test and got a 75% on it but from research, I've read that a lot of practice exams don't prepare someone for the actual type of questions on the exam. I'm not talking about braindumps or anything like that.

I plan on taking the exam at the end of September so that if I pass (I think I will), I can try to get the education credits when I go to the security conference.

I'm trying to do what I need to do to pass and when I get paid again, I'll go and pay for more resources.
Booya!!
WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
*****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****

Comments

• Options
    jonwinterburnjonwinterburn Member Posts: 161 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I found Darril Gibson's SSCP book excellent for preparing for SSCP. I also think that as you've already done CCENT, Network+ and Security+, you won't struggle with SSCP, because there's a lot of overlap there.

Regarding topics like cryptography, the level of understanding required is nowhere as in-depth as CISSP. Having passed SSCP, now I'm studying for CISSP and I'm finding that it's definitely far more difficult.

If you can understand Crypto from Professor Messer's Security+ videos, and know when to use which algorithm, you'll be fine. I found the exam to be challenging but very clear - no ambiguity.

Personally, I found the ISC2 official practice questions on iPad to be the closest to the real thing in format and style, whereas the questions in the SSCP book were far too easy.
  • Options
    Darril Gibson's SSCP is great! It has a few small mistakes but I already knew the information before I started to read the book so I was able to catch it.

I'm going to watch the Crypto videos from Professor Messer's website. I'm glad that he has the website up. How did you find the exam challenging?

I don't have an IPad icon_sad.gif Kinda poor.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    Leftya88Leftya88 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    James we are in the same boat!
  • Options
    True,

I think that we'll actually see how things go when we take the exam.
    Booya!!