Options

Is the CCNA Data Center too new to consider pursuing?

thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
I am trying to get into the IT field. I am going to take the CCNA:RS in a month and will be taking the VCP5-DCV exam in December or January (when I complete my training). I want my focus to be on data center networking and virtualization.

My main question: do any employers even recognize the CCNA: Data Center specialty? Resume-wise, would it be better to just be a solid CCNA:RS with a knowledge of Nexus and DC skills? I think if the DC exam doesn't require the RS (or at least the CCENT) like all the other specialties, there are likely a lot of redundancies if I get both certifications. I looked over the syllabus and watched some CBT's and they cover a lot of the same subject matter. I'm not too excited to spend the money to pass a similar exam twice.

Also, if I'm just getting into the IT field, would the CCNA be enough? On the contrary, would too many specialty certs with no experience make me seem suspicious/****-chump?
2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    A lot depends on if you are currently gainfully employed.

Most people will recommend that you go out and get any IT job to start gaining experience. I don't think data center is going to make you stand out for an entry level position. However if your talking about a career change and you are currently in a stable job then your choices might be different.

In this case you might have some justification for specializing before making the switch knowing you can be picky and afford to wait out a good opportunity.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    Thanks, yeah I have been trying to get an IT job. My professor recommended the CCNA, MCSA and Security+ so I should probably stick with those.
  • Options
    omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    Your professor is mostly right. CCNA & MCSA in Server 2012 R2 will give you a heck of an edge over any candidate for the position you will apply for. Security+ is needed only if you want to do Federal Govt. contract IT jobs which is nothing but re-setting password. To be the top candidate, consider doing CCNA security after you finish CCNA & MCSA. Or get the full MCSE. Good luck by the way.
  • Options
    omi2123 wrote: »
    Your professor is mostly right. CCNA & MCSA in Server 2012 R2 will give you a heck of an edge over any candidate for the position you will apply for. Security+ is needed only if you want to do Federal Govt. contract IT jobs which is nothing but re-setting password. To be the top candidate, consider doing CCNA security after you finish CCNA & MCSA. Or get the full MCSE. Good luck by the way.

Yeah the college is located near a military base and apparently they get a lot of graduates working for them. I was considering making a Security+ vs. CCNA Security thread, only because I'm wondering if a vendor-based cert, despite having the DoD 8570, would be disadvantageous.