Digital Forensics books recommendation - beginner

UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
So I decided that I want to learn about the world of Digital forensics. I'm a complete n00b in this area, and I want to start by reading introductory books on the subject.

A good start for me would be something
1) Non-technical: How the investigation is done for Computer crimes, chain of custody, evidence,...etc.
2) Technical: Unix/Linux related forensics (to keep me excited for sometime).

in that order.

Any good books out there?
Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

Comments

• CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    [h=1]CCFP Certified Cyber Forensics Professional All-in-One Exam Guide[/h]
    I bought the offical one, but there are lot of not really clear information. I just received an email from the author that there will a corrected version after August 27 to be sent out to those purchase for FREE a replacement.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    Thanks for the recommendations! Keep em coming :)

I prefer non-certification related books, just for the sake of knowledge.

@Veritas: the book looks outdated (2005), what do you think?

• LinuxNerdLinuxNerd Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Another joiner of the Security bubble? Welcome aboard, there's enough jobs especially for Unix guys who have skills. Yeah, 2005 is way too outdated in the IT world. Kali Linux has a group of foresnic tools installed, I would learn to use those. I run Kali from a USB stick, non-install. The security bubble is going to burst hard in the next 5 years, so get in and make lots of money and be prepared to transition again.
  • yzTyzT Member Posts: 365 ■■■□□□□□□□
    you can also be prepared for the next "bubble", big data.

OT: I'm also interested on the books, so keep them coming xD
    I want to expand my knowledge, and my interest in various IT topics is diminishing quickly. I already work with big data of some sort (I can expand my knowledge of that too, but I can't find the motivation in me to be honest).

I'm not sure I agree with the point that 'security' is a bubble, to me that's like saying 'operating systems' is a bubble. Security will stay. Yes I think we will see a lot of monkeys lose their jobs, but we all know that people with real skills are few and have no problems finding high paying jobs.

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    Thanks for the recommendations! Keep em coming :)

I prefer non-certification related books, just for the sake of knowledge.

@Veritas: the book looks outdated (2005), what do you think?

I think it's great as a foundation for learning File Forensics. It's still used by Universities through out the States.
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Jump start computer forensics.
    @BlackBeret: I looked at the table of contents, this is exactly what I'm looking for! Thank you :)

• JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    LinuxNerd wrote: »
    Another joiner of the Security bubble?

I don't think security is a bubble. Not with what we're seeing with breaches, data thefts, threats, etc. I do however think that just like anytime a field is the "hot new thing" and there is a "shortage of qualified candidates", you are seeing everyone want to hop on board, and eventually things will level out or correct with regards to jobs/jobseekers.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • 5ekurity5ekurity Member Posts: 346 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Harlan Carvey's books are awesome, but are kind of more on the 'advanced' side. You can get a free preview on Amazon as to their contents though, to give you an idea as to the direction you would be moving into.