Is the mastering server 2012 book enough?

joemc3joemc3 Member Posts: 141 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have my server built and running. I already have server 2012 R2 installed. My plan was to go from chapter 1 to the end of the book and then practice power-shell for a month. I have 0 experience in anything and everything IT related.

Comments

• GLaDOS11GLaDOS11 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just as a preface to my post, don't take it too harshly. The exams are DEFINITELY passable if you know your stuff. Don't be discouraged if you fail once because if I can pass them, anyone can do it. That being said...

The best way to pass these exams is to lab. There's not one single resource that contains all of the information you need...not even close. I have the Mastering Server 2012 book and it is very good; the best book in my opinion. It covers everything that is going to be on the exam. The problem with these exams is that the questions are not going to be like "When should you implement a Read-Only DNS Server?". The questions are VERY specific (too specific in my opinion) and will be more like, "You need to change the Tombstone lifetime on DNS1. You open up the DNS Server properties. Which tab do you click on?"

Because of the nature of these questions, the stuff is not covered in any book or any video. The only way you'll know them is through hours upon hours of using the product. Sure, there will be a few questions that the books or CBT Nuggets videos will teach you, but nowhere near enough to pass. The best strategy I have found to pass these exams is to get a good overview of the products, then lab. Then lab some more. Then take a practice test. Then lab some more. When you think you know everything, lab it again. It's the only way to pass these exams without having a job where you deal with the products everyday.

I think your strategy of reading the whole book and trying out everything (and I mean everything...multiple times) will be sufficient. For people who don't like to read, CBT Nuggets gives a good overview and then lab everything to pound it home.
  • pjd007pjd007 Member Posts: 277 ■■■□□□□□□□
    joemc3 wrote: »
    I have my server built and running. I already have server 2012 R2 installed. My plan was to go from chapter 1 to the end of the book and then practice power-shell for a month. I have 0 experience in anything and everything IT related.
    If you're a complete newb to IT support then you're probably going to struggle with 70-410 (as most people with experience are failing the exams multiple times) and I'd suggest you'd be better off doing an IT course that covers the basics first and maybe look at doing a desktop support role first for 1-2 years then progress to 3rd line support.

You'll probably find it difficult to get a server administrator job with the MCSA or MCSE but no experience.

You've got to learn to walk before you can run ! :)