Need advice on entry level certification

PudaPuda Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I would like to start a new certification in IT but I am not sure which one would be best for me. My background is in digital marketing, I have a very good knowledge of Windows but I would like to learn more things, especially within the PC Technology (how to troubleshoot problems, repair the computer, installing hardware...). I have heard about CompTIA A+ and Microsoft MTA. I wonder if that would be good for me.

Any advices? Being in Digital Marketing, I am in no rush. It's mostly for myself.

Also, if you can recommend websites for training. I used uCertify in the past for my Business Associate certification from CIW and was not impressed!

Comments

• BryzeyBryzey Member Posts: 260
    A+ is a pretty good starting point why you figure out what route you want to take. Also covers the things you mention wanting to learn.

In regards to training:

-Cbt nuggets $99 monthly
    -Pluralsight $30 monthly
    -Professor messer has free a+ video training.

So use professor messer plus a paid cbt provider and one or 2 books and you can't go wrong. Just do a trial to find out which cbt provider you prefer.
  • Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    Many vets don't like A+ too much, but I do feel the material it covers is pretty important for a beginner in IT who wants to get a general idea of how computers and networks today run and how to to support them. If not for the $ potential for the cert, but for the knowledge instilled while trying to achieve it.

After A+ it is generally recommended to find a specialization you like within IT while getting some experience if you can find your way into IT support. Then study for and achieve certs within that field (be it MCSA/Linux for servers, or ccna for networks, etc).
  • PudaPuda Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys!

I am currently working at a college and they are offering the A+ certification but it costs $800! Too expensive honnestly.

Are CBTnuggets and Pluralsight covering hardware installations as well? I remember that my college is showing students how to replace a HD for example. I actually already know how to do that but I would not be able to build a computer from scratch for example.

I have already watched Professor Messer videos but to be honest I find its courses super boring...
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Puda wrote: »
    I have already watched Professor Messer videos but to be honest I find its courses super boring...

Try one of the other sites. Most if not all have 7 day trials available.
    Make sure it's the training and not the subject that is boring. You don't want to get to far into IT if you don't like technical things.

I would study for the A+. You can always skip testing if you don't really need it but it's a great place to start.

Good Luck!
  • Waka Flocka FlameWaka Flocka Flame Banned Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys!

I am currently working at a college and they are offering the A+ certification but it costs $800! Too expensive honnestly.

Are CBTnuggets and Pluralsight covering hardware installations as well? I remember that my college is showing students how to replace a HD for example. I actually already know how to do that but I would not be able to build a computer from scratch for example.

Agreed, Prof Messsers voice could put me to sleep, would love to use CBT but way to expensive.
  • chronos42chronos42 Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys!

You don't necessarily need to spend $800 for the cert. Grab a couple $30 self-study books, use free online training, and you can go from zero to certified without cracking $400.
  • PudaPuda Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    Make sure it's the training and not the subject that is boring. You don't want to get to far into IT if you don't like technical things.

Agreed!

Is there any good book you would recommend as well? I should start the course within a month I guess.
  • BogeyhunterBogeyhunter Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    IMO $800 is pretty cheap esp if it covers both exams. Dont let A+ fool you. Its an entry level cert but it by no means is easy. It covers such a broad array of questions that is pretty hard to prepare for.

Also, if this $800 gets you into a lab with your hands on the equipment, then even better. Having A+ means you should be able to work with and troubleshoot hardware. I cant tell you how many people Ive met that have higher certifications that would not even attempt to build/troubleshoot their own PC. Its ridiculous considering that you can build something with much better components for about half the cost of retail. Plus youre supposed to be an IT guy. What happens when one of your relatives comes by and has Hard Drive problems and asks you to help? Are you going to say IDK how to do that? This is the basics, this is where IT starts everyone, at the basic home pc/laptop. Yet many professionals have no clue how to fix or diagnose them. I think its a little sad but anyway...

Its really up to you. Im glad that I went through and got my A+.

Also, like other have said, Prof Messer is good. Also study the extra questions on the David Prowse site.

but again these will help you pass the exam, doesnt necessarily mean that you understand how to troubleshoot hardware.