Where to take my ITIL Foundation Exam

mancmanc Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, To cut a long story short my current work place and career progression opportunities have become non-existent, so its time for me to build up some certifications with a hope of moving into a career with better opportunities. Reading through these forums I noted that "ITIL® Foundation Exam Study Guide by Liz Gallacher and Helen Morris" came up quite often as a good starting point to build-up ITIL knowledge, along with "ITIL Foundation Essentials: The Exam Facts You Need: Claire Agutter", I have read through both of these books and the material is a breath of fresh air in the way it brings processes to simplifies how IT works within a business infrastructure. I have been passing the practice exams, so I think in the next couple of weeks I would like to sit a proctored ITIL Foundation exam, but I am unsure where to take it, so the question is: I am based in the UK so do I take it directly through Loyalist or do i have to purchase an exam via a training center, I note that the training centers require you to have completed 'their' training material without which they do not allow you to take the exam through them? The above is probably a stupid question as this will be my first 'ever' certification so be patient with me. :) Thanks.

Comments

• dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    You should be able to book it through through Prometric and there are a few test centres dotted around the country :)
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
  • mancmanc Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dave0212 wrote: »
    You should be able to book it through through Prometric and there are a few test centres dotted around the country :)

Cheers for the suggestion Dave, I was hoping to take the exam online or as it's refer to as via a proctor, I believe Prometric mostly provide classroom based exams...
  • Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi manc

Glad you enjoyed the book icon_smile.gif

You can purchase a Foundation exam from Loyalist or EXIN and take it at home or at work, invigilated via a webcam.

EXIN will probably work out a bit more expensive as they're EU based so will charge VAT - you can see the Loyalist prices here: Loyalist Certification Services :: Exams Prices

Good luck, let us know how you get on!

Claire
    Hi manc

Glad you enjoyed the book icon_smile.gif

You can purchase a Foundation exam from Loyalist or EXIN and take it at home or at work, invigilated via a webcam.

EXIN will probably work out a bit more expensive as they're EU based so will charge VAT - you can see the Loyalist prices here: Loyalist Certification Services :: Exams Prices

Good luck, let us know how you get on!

Claire

Hi Claire,

Thanks for the pointer, gonna take my exam with Loyalist but I am still trying to get round my head how much the exam is, $250 which is £149!!!, to insure I don't fail I will be reading your book a few more times and on the day I plan to read your book then take the exam, fingers crossed I can retain enough to pass the exam, any tips you can offer would be appreciated, I really don't fancy having to pay for the exam twice!

Thanks.
    Hi manc,

All I can recommend is use all the resources you can get your hands on - the book, the free syllabus and sample exam from the ITIL Official Site, our mindmaps (Free ITIL Downloads and Resources - from ITIL Training Zone) and anything else you can find.

The price of the exam is steep now and it's a trade off between how much you spend preparing for it and the risk of a resit. My company for example has kept the exam price as low as possible and sell it for $199, but we're only allowed to sell exams to people who've taken training with us so you have to factor in the cost of the course.

Good luck and don't overthink the questions, remember it's a simple exam.

Claire
  • zcarenowzcarenow Member Posts: 110
    Hi manc,

All I can recommend is use all the resources you can get your hands on - the book, the free syllabus and sample exam from the ITIL Official Site, our mindmaps (Free ITIL Downloads and Resources - from ITIL Training Zone) and anything else you can find.

The price of the exam is steep now and it's a trade off between how much you spend preparing for it and the risk of a resit. My company for example has kept the exam price as low as possible and sell it for $199, but we're only allowed to sell exams to people who've taken training with us so you have to factor in the cost of the course.

Claire

i've called several places around my area and it ranges from $200-210.
    Hi manc,

Claire

Cheers for the advice Claire, Going to take my exam via Loyalist and the webcam proctor, seems the most cost effective away based on the research I have done so far, intend to take the exam during a weekend and in the evening, during the day I will read through your book in perpetration. I keep passing all the practice exams so I think I have all the knowledge up there now, I just hope nerves dont get the better of me!
    Good luck manc! Let me know how you get on icon_smile.gif
    Hi Claire,

You'll be happy to hear I passed the Foundation exam last night! :D

I was pretty nervous but once I had answered a couple of questions I settled down and got through the question with a degree of confidence, some questions were pretty tough in the way they were asking the question and I found myself having to read them 3-4 times to make sure I understood what they were asking, but I got there in the end.

Anyways many thanks for your input & assistance, using the books I mention in my initial post really helped including yours of course :)

Thanks.
    Hi manc

Great news, I'm so pleased to hear you got a return for all your hard work. Congratulations icon_smile.gif

Claire
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□