Possible to do self study for CISSP?

vichimaruvichimaru Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

Just checking if it is possible to self study for CISSP.. Have been interested in this for quite some time and contemplating if i should go for it..

thanks

Comments

• aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It certainly is. I did, and in fact most of the CISSPs I know studied on their own (only a handful had classes or bootcamps).
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    Achievable, yes but it will take self-discipline and focused studying. This is not a test where you can study off and on for a couple weeks and be prepared. I studying for 6 months, using multiple sources, and really deep dived into the material... You need dedication to pass the CISSP. To put it another way , my life when I studied for the CISSP

Eat
    Work
    Study
    Sleep
    Repeat
  • jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's possible but takes a lot of concentration and self discipline.

I did a month of self study everyday for at least 3 hours before my test and did fine. Never been a big fan of bootcamps.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I think most of us here have done self study. Two questions: what is your background and what is your motivation to go after the CISSP?
  • imthatguyimthatguy Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The majority of my efforts to prepare for the CISSP were self-study. Only took the boot camp because my company offered. I feel like I benefited most from my own study, through a combination of book-reading, testing, and watching videos. The boot camp help teach me a couple of tips, as well as solidified a few concepts that I wasn't that confident about beforehand, but if you already have a good grasp on the topics in the domain, it isn't really that beneficial, other than reinforcement. Most of the time, the boot camps can't possibly cover ALL you need to know to pass the exam--passing usually requires some sort of dedication on your part within the realm of self-study.
  • ShendreShendre Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I self studied. Granted I got a 684 the first time, and a 696 the second...but I stuck with it, changed my study strategy, and crushed it the next time. (I say 'crushed', since I finished it in less than 2.5 hours as to the last two times it took me 4 and 5 hours!). Just make sure you get a good nights rest, and before you go into the exam, just go over the ISC2 ethics. As for study materials, I used the 11th hour study guide and did ALOT of practice questions. I would do each question, find out if I got it right or not, then study as to why it was wrong, and keep going.

Anyhoo, best of luck!
  • jonenojoneno Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Self study it is, keep your money in your pocket.
  • vichimaruvichimaru Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    I think most of us here have done self study. Two questions: what is your background and what is your motivation to go after the CISSP?

I have knowledge of compliance and security auditing for my company and would love to move on to IT auditing if i ever do get this cert.. thanks for the in depth knowledge all