Social Security #

wizarddeathwizarddeath Member Posts: 115
I got a call from a head hunter, APC systems in my area. They called asking about a help desk position at a local bank, and asked for my social over the phone, I told them no to this, and I would contact them back.

I did call the phone #, and they were familar with the guy and did ask if this was normal practice and they said for some positions they do require a SSN.

Have you ever been asked this question?
70-291 Next....

Comments

• BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    Any employer would require the SSN when you are hired, but banks have to do a background check so that may be why they need it. They are forbidden to hire anyone with a felony.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you're applying for a job they can certainly ask for your SSN.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • wizarddeathwizarddeath Member Posts: 115
    This wasnt me applying for a job, this was I put my resume up on careerbuilder.com, and a temp agency contacted me and stated they had a place they wanted to send my resume, then asked for my SSN. I know a company and app can ask for SSN, I just want familar, that the temp agencies and contracting people would contact me by phone and ask for my SSN prior to even sending in my app.
    70-291 Next....
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    It is good that you called them back using a publicly verifyable phone number before giving out such information.

Reminds me so much of Security+.
    'Before I send you my secret information, let me verify your certificate signed by a verifyable CA, then I'll send the info using the public key".
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I never give my SSN on an employment application or during a first interview. If the interviewer needs to do a background check, or I've been hired and it's for payroll, then I have no problem with it. But just to get my foot in the door I don't see how it's appropriate for most positions.

Last year I applied for a job at a major software and network security company in Southern California. The second question on their employment application asked for my SSN. I was a bit stunned by this, as the company also dealt with Internet privacy and fraud issues. I suspected that it might have been some sort of test for the applicants, but I was not asked in any of my interviews why I hadn't given my SSN, so I guess it wasn't. Anyway, I felt very good about not giving my SSN to a business that ended up not hiring me.
  • OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    jdmurray wrote:
    I never give my SSN on an employment application or during a first interview. If the interviewer needs to do a background check, or I've been hired and it's for payroll, then I have no problem with it. But just to get my foot in the door I don't see how it's appropriate for most positions.

Last year I applied for a job at a major software and network security company in Southern California. The second question on their employment application asked for my SSN. I was a bit stunned by this, as the company also dealt with Internet privacy and fraud issues. I suspected that it might have been some sort of test for the applicants, but I was not asked in any of my interviews why I hadn't given my SSN, so I guess it wasn't. Anyway, I felt very good about not giving my SSN to a business that ended up not hiring me.

If you're going to apply for a job, you should expect to be asked for your ssn . By not putting it down, you give the employer a reason to throw your application in the garbage can.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Olajuwon wrote:
    If you're going to apply for a job, you should expect to be asked for your ssn . By not putting it down, you give the employer a reason to throw your application in the garbage can.
    I'm not really interested in working for an employer who would be so careless as to ask for an SSN on a standard job application. It's show a certain lack of understanding about how sensitive a piece of identification an SSN is. Besides, the example I gave was the only time I've ever seen a request for an SSN before being hired. I wouldn't give them a copy of my driver's license or passport if they asked prior to giving me a promise to hire. Why would you?
  • BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    jdmurray wrote:
    Besides, the example I gave was the only time I've ever seen a request for an SSN before being hired. I wouldn't give them a copy of my driver's license or passport if they asked prior to giving me a promise to hire.

It has been many years now, but I once worked for a small, regional bank. They not only required your SSN, but they needed to take a copy of your driver's license and some type of proof of citizenship/right to work in the U.S. (SS card, birth certificate, etc.). This was at the time of application. They had to perform a government mandated background check before they would let you interview. As I understand it, this is standard practice based on government recommendations.

The government has interesting ideas about employment at a bank. They recommend that all employees be forced to take at least two weeks of vacation at any one time. The thought is that you could cover any type of scam while you are gone for a few days at a time, but you would be hard pressed to cover it for a full two weeks.
    jdmurray wrote:
    I'm not really interested in working for an employer who would be so careless as to ask for an SSN on a standard job application. It's show a certain lack of understanding about how sensitive a piece of identification an SSN is. Besides, the example I gave was the only time I've ever seen a request for an SSN before being hired. I wouldn't give them a copy of my driver's license or passport if they asked prior to giving me a promise to hire. Why would you?
    It's different in NY, I have put my SSN on lots of job apps. Almost every job I interviewed for gave me an application that asks me for my SSN prior to the interview.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    jdmurray wrote:
    Olajuwon wrote:

Besides, the example I gave was the only time I've ever seen a request for an SSN before being hired. I wouldn't give them a copy of my driver's license or passport if they asked prior to giving me a promise to hire. Why would you?

In Western PA, I think every application I have ever filled out has a space for your SS# right on the front page. I can't recall ever filling one out that did not have it... icon_rolleyes.gif
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
    They need your SSN to do a background check. Most companies won't hire you without doing a background check first. :D