No class required for VCPs until Feb 2015 with a catch

GSXRulesGSXRules Member Posts: 109
New NSX certifications and become a new VCP without a VMware class!! | SOSTech

Have a valid Cisco CCNA/CCNP? You can take the VCP-NV exam to become a "current" VCP, unlocking all the other VMware certifications w/o a class requirement.

icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's awesome, thanks for posting this.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • tomtom1tomtom1 Member Posts: 375
    Was just about to post this, great! Too bad only few resources exist yet en the product itself it not available. icon_sad.gif
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Also, if you are a student at a Uni that has an agreement with VMWare check to see if your school participates in the VM discount program. You can also skip the required class if you use the exam discount code they give you.

vd1mkg.jpg
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Nice, must have missed that! I'll start playing around! Thanks!
  • GSXRulesGSXRules Member Posts: 109
    --chris-- wrote: »
    Also, if you are a student at a Uni that has an agreement with VMWare check to see if your school participates in the VM discount program. You can also skip the required class if you use the exam discount code they give you.

Note that classwork is till required per the terms of the IT Academy program.
  • kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Stop that! :P

This is a pretty awesome deal, pity I'm doing CCNA after.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Maybe I'll get this one for the fun of it.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    I already started gathering the docs from the blueprint. Definitely going to look into it. Problem is unless you're a partner or VMware employee or you're taking an ICM class, you're going to have to use the HOL to get hands on access to NSX.
  • tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    I wonder why they chose not to offer an associate level NV exam, especially considering that the VCA-NV was "coming soon" for several months (according to the VMware site).

Also implementation expert? Just call it a VCAP.
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • JustFredJustFred Member Posts: 678 ■■■□□□□□□□
    QHalo wrote: »
    I already started gathering the docs from the blueprint. Definitely going to look into it. Problem is unless you're a partner or VMware employee or you're taking an ICM class, you're going to have to use the HOL to get hands on access to NSX.

I'm all for the gathering, please post links to the documentations you've come across :)
    [h=2]"After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true." Spock[/h]
    kj0 wrote: »
    Stop that! :P .

I know right .. I have to keep reminding myself that my priorities are somewhere else atm so I have to stay way from it for now :D

Thank God we don't have any NFR licenses :p
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    I know right .. I have to keep reminding myself that my priorities are somewhere else atm so I have to stay way from it for now :D

Thank God we don't have any NFR licenses :p
    That's like me and that other product that may be released this week - or at least made GA. I installed for a few minutes, took a look and had to go back to what I was doing. Won't need a class for it by then anyway!!
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
    FYI, I've heard nsx doesn't like to play in nested environment. Haven't had a chance to test it, so no idea if it's true.

Edit: Just signed up for the exam. Not much pdfs to read.
    dave330i wrote: »
    FYI, I've heard nsx doesn't like to play in nested environment. .

Didn't they demo NSX in a nested environment ? There are also HOLs so that surely would assume NSX is nested too ?

Edit: Seen this ?

http://www.m80arm.co.uk/2014/06/configuring-and-testing-vxlan-within.html
    Didn't they demo NSX in a nested environment ? There are also HOLs so that surely would assume NSX is nested too ?

Edit: Seen this ?

M80ARM - Virtualization Warrior: Configuring and testing VXLAN within a nested environment

The VCIX-NV exam is on nested NSX. It's a fairly new product and there was some learning to do, but classes with nested NSX were running in January.
    kj0 wrote: »
    Stop that! :P

This is a pretty awesome deal, pity I'm doing CCNA after.

You have your VCP right? So you can jump in anyway without the class requirement.
    I've just went through the blueprint and pulled the PDFs from the links is all I've done so far.
    Just hope to see licenses popping up in myvmware soon :p
    Doubtful. Not for a long time I would venture. Going to have to go into the HOL and break stuff.
  • Network_EngineerNetwork_Engineer Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How does VMware validate your CCNA or CCNP to waive the required course?
    I can imagine by assigning your Cisco ID there somewhere.
    How does VMware validate your CCNA or CCNP to waive the required course?

When you login to your Cisco account you can generate a confirmation link. Email that link to certification@vmware.com with a note explaining you'd like the waiver for VCP-NV. Let me know if you have problems.
    Had a really silly thought. Microsoft develops their own network virtualization by deploying win2k8 & 2012 as virtual routers/fw in Azure.
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was just looking at a NSX design guide there - it supports OSPF, BGP & IS-IS.

Server 2008 & 2012 only support RIP, Server 2003 supports OSPF & RIP.

Not a very likely implementation of Server 2012!! But I see someone passed VCP-NV today already.

Who knows what will come out next though.
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    GSXRules wrote: »
    Note that classwork is till required per the terms of the IT Academy program.

I know your right, but the wording is confusing. "Does not require VMware authorized training" sounds like no class needed. When you say class work is still required, what do you mean?
    Someone posted about the "PSE" exam that doesn't require a class. That exam is part of the VMware Academy program where the VCP5-DCV exam is available after the end of a university-offered and VMware-approved class. So you are not taking the VMware-developed ICM class, but rather one the university offers.
  • Network_EngineerNetwork_Engineer Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I completed the confirmation link on my Cisco account sent to certification@vmware.com .

However, over a week has passed but no update on my VMware account.

Certification Tracking System ----> Publish Credentials
    > Recipient Email with message

Is this correct?
    PM me your VMW # and the email address you send the Cisco link from and I'll ask.