Passed MTA 98-366 today (Networking Fundamentals)

si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
I've got 5 years of working IT experience (not in networking though) and me and my friend both have a degree (hers is a 2:2 and mine is a First class). We set ourselves a target: 30 days to learn and pass the MTA Networking Fundamentals course. We learned from the following book: "98-366: MTA Networking Fundamentals (Microsoft Official Academic Course)".

The only difference is, I work 37 hours a week - and my friend is looking for work. I ended up passing with 74 and they got 76 (passing score is 70).

So - my thoughts and advice for anyone taking this cert. Study, study and study some more. I feel like this course gets dismissed because it's thought of as being an "entry cert" when in fact, there's a bucket load of information to learn, especially if you've not done networking before. I suggest spending several weeks (if you work full time) learning this course, spending around 2-3 hours a day on it.

I told my friend that I had questions about "T1, 2 and 3 and wireless frequencies" whilst my friend had no T1,2,3 questions and got "easier" questions. This is a bit gutting for a perfectionist like me - It's a shame we aren't all taking the same exact course, because I felt that topics such as T1-3 weren't covered in that much detail in the book, so answering questions on it wasn't easy.

I can't complain because I passed, but I guess i'm just not happy with getting just 74 considering my experience. It gives me a good idea of where to improve though icon_cool.gif

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Congrats on the pass.
  • Binary FreakBinary Freak Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass!! :)

I used the MOAC book to lay foundation for some of my networking knowledge. I didn't find the practice questions provided by GMetrix very good though. Did you use the practice questions (provided by GMetrix), if so how well did they prepare you for the exam? icon_scratch.gif

-Binary Freak icon_cool.gif
  • si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass!! :)

I used the MOAC book to lay foundation for some of my networking knowledge. I didn't find the practice questions provided by GMetrix very good though. Did you use the practice questions (provided by GMetrix), if so how well did they prepare you for the exam? icon_scratch.gif

-Binary Freak icon_cool.gif

That's the same book I used (Microsoft Official Academic Coursebook) and it was very good. It was very well written but I strongly recommend people to use more than one resource e.g Darill Gibson's book AND the MOAC. Maybe even CBT Nuggets too. It sounds like overkill, but if you want to pass first time, it has to be done.

I only used the MOAC and I felt like the questions I got weren't covered in great amounts of detail. I didn't use GMetrix and probably wouldn't if I was doing it again - i'd just use Darill Gibson's book as well. Thanks by the way :)