Options

Do the pluralsight/trainsignal videos cover everything that is required for the exam?

lopezilopezi Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm going through the video course for a second time hoping to pick up on things I may have missed the first time through. However, I wanted to find out if these videos really cover what is required for the exam or am I doing myself a disservice by using these videos? I will be getting the Sybex book to supplement but I wont have the time to read it cover to cover.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ivan

Comments

• Options
    I'm guessing I'm one of the few that have looked at the trainsignal/pluralsight videos...in any case, I also have the Sybex book and have noticed that there are things in the book that aren't mentioned in the videos. I'm not sure if that means that the video felt that some of these weren't going to be on the exam or not I don't know. But due to that, I'm going to read through the full book although time really isn't on my side.
  • Options
    TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not sure about Trainsignal/Pluralsight, but I have a subscription to the CBT Nuggets and from my experience using those it is in my opinion that they are not enough to pass an exam. I use them as a supplemental resource when preparing for an exam, but leverage a good text book as the primary resource.
  • Options
    Took the Project+ exam today and passed.....woohoo. Needless to say that's a load off my mind. The pluralsight videos helped, I went through those twice and then I went through the Sybex book twice. Now that it's behind me I'll have to weigh the pain of doing PMP or not.
  • Options
    GlynixxGlynixx Member Posts: 138
    Congrats on the pass?

Did you feel like those two resources were enough and are those the only two resources you used? I was thinking of doing the same thing and trying to get it done by end of year. Hoping to work on my MCSA next year (or PMP based on job requirements).

Is this the book you used:
    CompTIA Project+ Study Guide Authorized Courseware: Exam PK0-003: Kim Heldman, William Heldman: 9780470585924: Amazon.com: Books

Did you decide on the PMP yet?
    thank you!
    G.
    Check out www.manager-tools.com for some great management training for free!
  • Options
    WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    Never ever trust one source in studying for an exam...No book covers everything and no video covers everything..Those that have the most success on passing exams do so by using a plethora of study materials...
  • Options
    Glynixx wrote: »
    Did you feel like those two resources were enough and are those the only two resources you used?

Yes, the Pluralsight videos and the book were all that I used. I went through each twice. I started with the videos to get up to speed fast with what the material was. I then went through the book already having an understanding so that I could get through the book "faster", basically using it to fill in gaps. I also used the per-assessment test and the chapter review questions to further drive things home.

Yes, that is the book I used.
    Did you decide on the PMP yet?
    I'm still on the fence. I have the preferred books that many have mentioned in the Project Management forum on this site. I have the necessary hours of experience to sit the exam, it's just a matter of documenting it all and submitting the application. Since the PMP is an expansion of the information that Project+ goes into, I think I can do it...although it's tough to grunt through the information and keep it all straight even though most areas are "common sense" approaches.
  • Options
    GlynixxGlynixx Member Posts: 138
    Hi lopezi,
    thanks, I just ordered the pmp book. I was thinking of doing the project+ in the 2 months between classes (my next class starts mid October). Do you think it is doable to do the test w 2 months of study time ?

I'm watching the pluralsight vids now, ill have the book in a couple of days and I bought the transcender tests to practice. Then if it goes well, I may try the capm early next year, then take my last mba class.

also, for the preferred pmp books, could you let me know which ones those are? I'm thinking I may give it a shot mid next year. Granted, most of this stuff will probably leak out of my brain from now until then lol.
    Check out www.manager-tools.com for some great management training for free!
  • Options
    also, for the preferred pmp books, could you let me know which ones those are?

These three I have read are the ones that seem to be the preferred ones....

PMP® Exam Prep, 8th Edition - Rita Mulcahy

PMP® Project Management Professional Exam Study Guide, 7th Edition - Kim Heldman

The PMP Exam: How to Pass on Your First Try, Fifth Edition - Andy Crowe
  • Options
    I was thinking of doing the project+ in the 2 months between classes (my next class starts mid October). Do you think it is doable to do the test w 2 months of study time ?

Yeah, 2 months should be plenty of time. I started end of June, beginning of July and took the exam on 8/18. Between work and family I didn't have a lot of dedicated time to study but still managed to do enough to feel comfortable to sit the exam.