A+ Questions please?

mikehendemikehende Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello guys, I have been doing pc repairs out of my Home Office for many years, around 2000 I had studied the A+ courses at home to prepare myself for getting into this field but now I would like to have the certification because I am seeking a Help Desk job.
I have been looking online at the exam requirements, the 2 aspects I am a little concerned about are Networking and Printer troubleshooting. I don't have much experience in these 2 areas since I have experience in pc "repair" but I can setup a printer and troubleshoot my own network here, can anyone tell me what happens during the testing with these 2 issues, do they have you physically install or troubleshoot problems or would there be questions on paper only?

Comments

• Waka Flocka FlameWaka Flocka Flame Banned Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mikehende wrote: »
    Hello guys, I have been doing pc repairs out of my Home Office for many years, around 2000 I had studied the A+ courses at home to prepare myself for getting into this field but now I would like to have the certification because I am seeking a Help Desk job.
    I have been looking online at the exam requirements, the 2 aspects I am a little concerned about are Networking and Printer troubleshooting. I don't have much experience in these 2 areas since I have experience in pc "repair" but I can setup a printer and troubleshoot my own network here, can anyone tell me what happens during the testing with these 2 issues, do they have you physically install or troubleshoot problems or would there be questions on paper only?
    The exam involves no practical assessment so its questions only. I recommend the A+ exam cram book.
  • mikehendemikehende Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • eugene_86eugene_86 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey mikehende, I am also preparing for my A+ certification, and exactly like Waka said, its questions with multiple choice answers. Here is a table of 5 Domains covered in the exam and the number of questions for each domain is based on the percentages shown in this table:

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

I got that straight out of CompTIA A+ Certification All-In-One Exam Guide, 8th Ed.
    Good luck in your studies!
    Thanks Eugene, I have already gone through the course curriculum which can be found on their site.
    Have you already set up a date for your exam?
    No, I am only now looking into this, first thing I think I should do is get the cram book recommended above, thoroughly go through that then think exam?
  • Repo ManRepo Man Member Posts: 300
    Think of a reasonable time frame and book the exam in advance. It's a good motivational tool.
    Not sure if the pressure aspect would work well for me, first I would like to know where I stand by completing that book them taking some practice tests.
  • Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    Hello,

A+ is not a practical exam. The closest you'll get to that would be through the simulation questions where you would perform some sort of operation , maybe troubleshooting etc. Besides that, the A+ exam cram book shoul be enough for you. It covers all exam objectives.

If you have any further questions, feel free to shoot a pm. I'll get back to you.
    I agree with Repo Man, at least for me its a good motivational tool, that's why I booked mine in 2 weeks. You can always reschedule if you are not ready.
    Ok thanks, guys will think on it but first I'll get the book.
    What about this one guys, is it better than the cram book mentioned above please?

A+ Exam Prep and Exam Cram Pack by CIP Author Team | Barnes & Noble
    Another issue concerning cost of the A+ exam, would the total cost to take this exam be $173 as suggested here?

CompTIA A+ Certification | NetCom Learning

If yes, I see people offering "vouchers" for like $100, does this mean if I should purchase such a voucher that I can take the exam for that $100?
    Comptia support told me $376 for this exam?
  • chronos42chronos42 Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Comptia support told me $376 for this exam?

Correct, $188 for each of the two exams required for the certification. However, if you use the coupon code GETCERT1 you can save 10% when buying vouchers from the CompTIA website.
    Thanks but getting back to the voucher issue, if I can get a voucher from any other source for less than $188 per course, how can I know if that voucher will be real?
  • talazemtalazem Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks but getting back to the voucher issue, if I can get a voucher from any other source for less than $188 per course, how can I know if that voucher will be real?

Yeah I'd like to know that too because even with 10% off it's still a very expensive test. Is there a post/thread of reliable websites to buy early expiry discount vouchers from?