Age discrimination issues in I.T.

computerguy9355computerguy9355 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
well i posted this topic at various of boards and it seems like i get a different answer everytime, i am not conducting a research, i would like to hear your opinion on this subject

do you think age discrimination is a threat to someone who is over 40 but hold multiple creditials ? e.g. CCIE, CISSP, some comptia certs.etc..

Comments

• Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Gee, I hope not. I just turned 40 this year.
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i think their worried that you experience level would put you at a level at which they're not able to pay..this is if you have 20+ years of experiene you would be a senior level and managers most don't have that, and are scared you could take their job icon_wink.gif i got that off the record once before from a manager
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ^ That's why I'm trying to put myself in a position where management would be an option for me when I reach that age. It's not what I really want to do but in another decade or two it might be the best way to keep my career going.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    blargoe wrote:
    ^ That's why I'm trying to put myself in a position where management would be an option for me when I reach that age. It's not what I really want to do but in another decade or two it might be the best way to keep my career going.

I have worked very hard at staying out of management. Management just doesn't pay enough unless you have a masters degree and get very high up in the corporation. I am closer to 50 than 40, and have been there for almost 20 years. Last year, I had two different managers within my company competing for me in my technical role. I make more than the first 4 levels of management, and I just don't want that headache.
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Depends on the employer and its ethics/values; it also depends on the values, ethics and morale of the hiring manager.

It's more of a morale, ethics and value question than a legal one. I'm sure it's illegal, but it does happen, but definitely not always.
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My friend just recently got knocked back for a job because he was too young at 26! He had the experience and skills.

I think there will always be age discrimination. People will think that you should be doing cetain things at certain ages.

40s would be senior tech up to management.

20s support. I am 27 and do design and project work. I work with no one under 30 at all.
  • rockstar81rockstar81 Member Posts: 151
    Depends on who is hiring you to be honest. IMO 40 is young (in theory you have at least 25 years work left in you). What you find nowdays is that there are a lot of managers who don’t know anything, there 22 out of college do a fast track training program and running a dept by 23. Believe me I have worked with some right clowns who think they know it all yet couldn’t boil an egg. IMO have guys like yourself is excellent for a company it gives the younger guys someone to look up to and to learn from. Don’t get discouraged, the right job with the right company will come along and it will be well worth it.