Options

cfdisk v fdisk

MinaryMinary Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am working through the RHCA course.

There are a few different tools used, first he uses fdisk and later then uses cfdisk to extend a partition.
cfdisk doesn't take arguements but can do extra things like extend a partition.

Any reason not to just go straight to cfdisk for everything ?

Ok, I think I answered my question writing this post. CF disk is not so handy as you have to leave the cli and it doesn't take arguments.

What do you use in the real world ? I have always used gparted or Partionwizard (really good imo,free and no bloatware).

Comments

• Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    Out of habit, and the fact that you can generally count on it being install on pretty much any Linux distro no matter how minimal the install, I usually go with fdisk. However, these days I'm working mostly with raw disks greater than 2TB, which fdisk doesn't do, so I'm using parted more and more by default.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    Parted seems to have everything one place, supports large files and is installed on redhat7. Is it missing something that redhat use fdisk in their training pages or just habit ?
  • Options
    brombulecbrombulec Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You SHOULD forget fdisk. This is a legacy tool and parted is the answer for all your questions. RedHat will support fdisk but IMHO we should switch to parted.
    I saw some examples with fdisk in official course books but all the tasks you can perform with parted. And remeber - on RedHat exams the way you complete your tasks is not important. The result is important - for example: I had 6 years ago a task related to network security. I used tcp wrappers, my friend - iptables. And both solutions were acceptable. So you can create partitions on exam with parted or fdisk - it doesn't matter. You should create partition on disk - this is your task. You can even edit disk sectors (if you can) directly to create partition :)
  • Options
    What I want to avoid is depending on tools that take longer and or might not be available. Parted it is so.