What would be the price of a "Good" CCIE R&S home lab?

ghost2qghost2q Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Yes, i know its pricey but I don't want to rent. Also what routers and switches would you be using?

thanks!

Comments

• Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    With v5 go full virtual with IOU/VIRL or mix of switches + virtual 1000v's/GNS3. Some of the vendors topologies have over 10-30 routers so it will cost you over 15k to get all real gear + power cost.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Even looking the alternate route for INE you would get to around $7-8k...obviously the preferred route will be higher.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Under a grand - build a server and CSR it all.

You can buy the right switches for 15.0 if you look hard enough, but meh, I'm happy with 12.2 (50)
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm running CSRs, 3x3560s running 15, and 1x3550 running 12.. I've been able to make it through most of INE's v5 material with this setup. VTPv3 was a sticking point for the 3550.

You can buy 4x3560s for probably around $600 total. My server build cost me about $400.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I don't see any good reason to lab on real hardware when it has been confirmed that the v5 lab is 100% IOU.
  • rinoelrinoel Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    I'm running CSRs, 3x3560s running 15, and 1x3550 running 12.. I've been able to make it through most of INE's v5 material with this setup. VTPv3 was a sticking point for the 3550.

You can buy 4x3560s for probably around $600 total. My server build cost me about $400.

Will you be able to share the Server HW specifications?

Thanks.
  • ghost2qghost2q Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What if I shop around ebay and get my stuff used? How much will this costs? I don't want a virtual lab or anything.. I mean I want the real deal
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    You need quite a few routers that run 15.3 or higher which means that you need the ISR G2 line. The cheapest of these is the 1900 and one of those costs roughly as much as the server you could buy to run CSR1000s on so it doesn't really make sense. You could buy cheaper routers that run lower IOS versions like 15.0 and 15.1 but what would you really accomplish over a virtualized environment?
    okay so lets say I want the newest IOS. How much do you think this things will cost? if I shop in ebay. Can someone give a amount?
  • Lucas21Lucas21 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ghost2q wrote: »
    okay so lets say I want the newest IOS. How much do you think this things will cost? if I shop in ebay. Can someone give a amount?
    You've already been given enough info to do an ebay search yourself.
    fredrikjj wrote: »
    You need quite a few routers that run 15.3 or higher which means that you need the ISR G2 line. The cheapest of these is the 1900 and one of those costs roughly as much as the server you could buy to run CSR1000s on so it doesn't really make sense. You could buy cheaper routers that run lower IOS versions like 15.0 and 15.1 but what would you really accomplish over a virtualized environment?
    The cost is US$600-700 per router from what I've seen.
    that was not what I was asking. Maybe you should re-read the question. This thread was started so people can assert their opinions on how much it will cost, not just for one router but for several.
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Give him what he wants?

the routers can cost around 800-1100 per router depending on how good of a deal you can get, I didn't see any with all the licences for less than 1100

1100x25(routers)=27,500
    4 switches = 500 this can go up in you get the x models
    Rack= 600
    power= variable depending on how much you use it and the power rates in your area
    cables = 100

So as you can see this is very expensive to build a rack and I didn't even add the cards and a few other things you will need. I hope this answers your questions. The rest your going to have to do the research yourself as not to many people will be interested in putting together a real lab when cisco themselves are not even testing with real equipment for V5
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    Free, you don't need to purchase real equipment! The exam is virtual and everything can be achieved now with IOU, the same
    thing that will be used in the lab environment.
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IOU has been working great for me so far. However I gotta say I kind of miss using my home lab :/
  • PsychoFinPsychoFin Member Posts: 280
    How is the switching in iou these days?
  • MrBishopMrBishop Member Posts: 229
    PsychoFin wrote: »
    How is the switching in iou these days?

Everything works like a charm and there's one guy that has put a lot of time into making it exactly like INE and some other vendors topology for hands on training. Best simulator program on the market for studying Cisco......
    Degrees
    M.S. Internet Engineering | M.S. Information Assurance
    B.S. Information Technology | A.A.S Information Technology
    Certificaions
    Currently pursuing: CCIE R&Sv5
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    For troubleshooting = IOU but you will have to figure out how to use it. if you buy the full lab for troubleshooting then it will cost you around less than 29 routers x 300 = $8700 + 4 to 6 switches $3000 = $11,700
    For the lab = I would use real routers and switches. If you buy the lab it will cost you less than $5,000.

You have to think about the money for the boot camp, workbooks, attempts, gas money, travel money, hotel money, time off and unseen events.
  • JackaceJackace Member Posts: 335
    MrBishop wrote: »
    Everything works like a charm and there's one guy that has put a lot of time into making it exactly like INE and some other vendors topology for hands on training. Best simulator program on the market for studying Cisco......

Do you have a link to these IOU topologies?
  • deth1kdeth1k Member Posts: 312
    It's not too difficult to replicate INE's lab in IOU, all routers are hooked up to one switch so here is how NET file would look like in IOU:

1:0/1 11:0/0
    2:0/1 11:0/1
    3:0/1 11:0/2
    4:0/1 11:0/3
    5:0/1 11:1/0
    6:0/1 11:1/1
    7:0/1 11:1/2
    8:0/1 11:1/3
    9:0/1 11:2/0
    10:0/1 11:2/1

You'd need configs which you should have if you've purchased their v4/v5 lab material or you could reverse engineer their topology which is freely available on the internet ;)

To be honest though, for INE topology i'd use IOSv (just for the sake of using Gig interfaces and not waiting on NAT).
  • fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    deth1k wrote: »
    To be honest though, for INE topology i'd use IOSv (just for the sake of using Gig interfaces and not waiting on NAT).

There has been some reports on irc that the "leaked" (extracted from that development VM) version of IOSv has several issues, like HSRP, and probably other things. I would not consider it an IOS equivalent of CSR1000.
  • AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    ISR G1 with IOS 15.3XB. The only thing not supported is OSPF SHA key chain. You can get an 1841 with 64MB of flash and 256MB of RAM for less than $60.

Would still recommend going virtual. The nice part is that when something is not working I know for sure its me and not the lab.
    fredrikjj wrote: »
    There has been some reports on irc that the "leaked" (extracted from that development VM) version of IOSv has several issues, like HSRP, and probably other things. I would not consider it an IOS equivalent of CSR1000.

Been running IOSv for INE's v5 topology and haven't encountered any issues. No need for realoads (config replace:)

R6#sh ver
    Cisco IOS Software, IOSv Software (VIOS-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 15.4(1.24)T0.9, MAINTENANCE INTERIM SOFTWARE
    Technical Support: Support and Documentation - Cisco Systems
    Copyright (c) 1986-2014 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Fri 21-Mar-14 00:59 by prod_rel_team

*** IOSv: UNSUPPORTED DEMO VERSION ONLY ***

ROM: Bootstrap program is IOSv

R6 uptime is 7 weeks, 3 days, 7 hours, 26 minutes
    System returned to ROM by reload
    System image file is "flash0:/vios-adventerprisek9-m"
    Last reload reason: Unknown reason
  • Hammer80Hammer80 Member Posts: 207 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This may be a stupid question where are guys getting the IOU? From what I read this was supposed be Cisco on Unix for internal use only and not available to the public unless something has changed.
    I wouldn't mind that 15.3XB for my 1841's.... can anyone hook me up? :)
  • AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    deth1k wrote: »
    Been running IOSv for INE's v5 topology and haven't encountered any issues. No need for realoads

You may have a more robust server than others or configured the VMs better(shrugging shoulder).

@gorebrush, let me see what I can do.
    Nice one, many thanks indeed.

I was dubious about using IOSv - but I reckon it has a good place - because of the low memory usage, one could, perhaps use it to build a decent sized MPLS core... then use the CSR's at the edges to do the main work for say, MPLS VPN.
    BB3#sh ver
    Cisco IOS Software, 1841 Software (C1841-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 15.3(3)XB12, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
    Technical Support: Support and Documentation - Cisco Systems
    Copyright (c) 1986-2013 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
    Compiled Tue 19-Nov-13 06:44 by prod_rel_team

Many thanks:D
    if an HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF (i3 and 8GB of RAM) desktop was considered a server than maybe :) Running like a dream so not sure what problems ppl have?
    [h=3][/h]