Options

WGU Credit - CU for IT certificates

myworldmyworld Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello TechExams membersI would like to know some information about how many credit will i get for my current certificates?my background: GED, no collage but Diploma in networking and security from private school. (Studied Cisco, Server, Linux etc.) I currently hold CISSP, MCSE 2003, MCSE 2012, MCSA 2003, MCSA 2012, MCP (within last 5 years.)A+, Security+ (Over 5 years ago).Currently working on my PMP. Planning to give it in January 2015.15 years of IT work experience positions from IT Technician, Network administrator, system administrator, Director of IT.but the only issue i still face is NO B.Sc. degree and Most of the good job out there asks for B.Sc. minimum. So I am thinking to do WGU as i don't have too much time to go to collage now. I can do 10 to 15 hrs per week for WGU as it is online.So my question is that how many credit/ CU can i get for my current IT certificates?can one certificate satisfy multiple courses requirement and get me credit for multiple courses? (like MCSA 2012 can it be used for 3 different course and to get all credit/CU associated with all 3 courses?)If anyone has transfer credit in past then can you please share some light on transferring IT cert. credits in WGU.Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hello myworld. Yes, I transferred in my MCIPT:EA for 39 credits and the Security+ for another 6.

Here is link to WGU's certification transfer guidelines: Transferable IT Certifications | WGU Online IT Certification

Edit:

I'm going for BS IT - Net Admin

The MCITP:EA transferred into WGU:
    AJV1 - 6
    EAV1 - 4
    EBV1 - 4
    DVH1 - 3
    CRV1 - 4
    ABV1 - 6
    AHV1 - 6
    AIV1 - 6
    Total 39
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    iBrokeIT wrote: »
    Hello myworld. Yes, I transferred in my MCIPT:EA for 39 credits and the Security+ for another 6.

Here is link to WGU's certification transfer guidelines: Transferable IT Certifications | WGU Online IT Certification

Edit:

I'm going for BS IT - Net Admin

The MCITP:EA transferred into WGU:
    AJV1 - 6
    EAV1 - 4
    EBV1 - 4
    DVH1 - 3
    CRV1 - 4
    ABV1 - 6
    AHV1 - 6
    AIV1 - 6
    Total 39

Thank you iBrokeIT for quick reply.

Another question which comes in mind is that do i need to pick a Major when i apply or i can select any major after they tell me how many credit i can get for my certificates? Also can i change the track after i select one?
    thanks.
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I assume you would need to pick a major otherwise they will not know which program to evaluate your transfer credits and certifications against. I believe you can have them evaluate your transfers against a few majors though. You can switch majors at the end/start of the semester. Your enrollment counselor should be able to verify the answers to those questions.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    Thanks for the info.

If you take any other certificate exam while you are enroll at WGU, then does WGU countess that certificate and give you credit for it once you pass it?

Like: you are in your first term at WGU and i pass my PMP exam, Will WGU accept it and give me credit for it?
    Or all certificate must be achieved before you enroll?

thanks.
  • Options
    RaisinRaisin Member Posts: 136
    Since you have mostly Microsoft certifications your best bet is to apply for the BSIT Network Administration degree. That one has the most Microsoft certs and will probably get you the most CU's transferred.

Once you start a term at WGU you are pretty much so locked in to whatever courses you agreed to take that term. Changes to your program can only be made when you start a new term. So you might be able to get credit for the PMP added at the start of your second term, but it's really not a big deal if they don't give you anything for it. Why? Because it's most likely that the PMP is only going to get you credit for their project management course, which is six CUs, and is completed by taking the Project+ exam. If you've been studying for the PMP then odds are Project+ will be a cake walk for you. My advice is to either take the Project+ before your credit eval, or request a voucher on day one and knock out a quick six credits in your first week. The advantage to signing up for Project Management in your first term is that WGU gives you the voucher instead of you paying out of pocket for it.
  • Options
    Raisin wrote: »
    Since you have mostly Microsoft certifications your best bet is to apply for the BSIT Network Administration degree. That one has the most Microsoft certs and will probably get you the most CU's transferred.

Once you start a term at WGU you are pretty much so locked in to whatever courses you agreed to take that term. Changes to your program can only be made when you start a new term. So you might be able to get credit for the PMP added at the start of your second term, but it's really not a big deal if they don't give you anything for it. Why? Because it's most likely that the PMP is only going to get you credit for their project management course, which is six CUs, and is completed by taking the Project+ exam. If you've been studying for the PMP then odds are Project+ will be a cake walk for you. My advice is to either take the Project+ before your credit eval, or request a voucher on day one and knock out a quick six credits in your first week. The advantage to signing up for Project Management in your first term is that WGU gives you the voucher instead of you paying out of pocket for it.

Thank you very much for your reply.

I was thinking the same what you said.

BSIT- Network can give me 37 credit to start with because of my certificates. And i can take Project+ in first month of term and get 6 CUs for that. and as you said...they will pay for voucher so no need to take the project+ now.

I was reading the transfer credit comparison and for
    C183 Operating system windows 8 part 1 and (6 CU)
    C184 Operating system management policies Windows 8 Part 2 (6 CU)

Both of these can be credited/waived for MCSE 2003 certificate but NOT for MCSE/MCSA 2012. Which is very strange as Windows 8 and server 2012 works the SAME way 70% of the time. (server 2003 and windows 8 are no where near in order how they work...)
    I have both cert but my MCSE 2003 is 6 years old and WGU says certs must be no longer than 5 years old.

So is there anyway we can talk to transcript evaluation department and ask them if they can waive these two and give credit for MCSE 2012?

Thanks.
  • Options
    RaisinRaisin Member Posts: 136
    I'm not certain, but I believe you'll need to submit your information to see what your evaluation results are first, then you can appeal the results and ask for waivers for certain things. Your results can vary sometimes based on who does your evaluation. I got all of my general education classes waived because I had a very generic technology AAS degree, but other people have reported having their AAS degrees evaluated on a credit by credit basis.
  • Options
    [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Thanks Raisin. I am planning to apply this week someone so i will see if i can talk to them about it.[/FONT]

[FONT=arial, sans-serif]another question for WGU students is that
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, sans-serif]If i sign up for 4 classes at the beginning of the term and if i finish all 4 in 3 months then can i sign up for another one or two class in same term? Or i will have to wait till next term starts?

Also if someone can give me review of BSIT - Net. Admin.'s GE class. Like how hard/easy GE classes are and how are their exams?

Also if someone has done BSIT's Web development and web programing class then can you please give me some information on it? How are those classes and exams for them? I am asking this bec i never did web programing and development so just want to hear the review of them.
    I do have some programing knowledge which i did 12 years ago, basic on .net but no Java programing and HTML.

So if anyone can give any information on this then it will be helpful.

Thank you

[/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    2230622306 Member Posts: 223 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yes u can take as many classes as you like in one term as long as you pass the other classes
  • Options
    Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    Generally they'll let you add one class at a time and it will take your mentor a day or two to actually add it. Internal tests generally have to be scheduled 3 days in advance. External tests depend on the testing center.
  • Options
    CyberSecurityCyberSecurity Member Posts: 85 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am currently enrolled with WGU and just took the A+ Part 1 yesterday. It fulfilled 4 credits as will Part 2 when I pass that. Just remember that when you choose a major you are considering your long term goals. I am switching out of BSIT-CyberSecurity to BSIT-Management since the Cybersecurity is more technical for what I want to get into and some jobs may look at me as more of a tech than a leader. However it is all about how you present yourself as well and what you choose to disseminate during the application/interview portion anyway. The BSIT-Management has way less certifications than Cyber Security which means I'll be able to achieve the degree much faster. It also depends on what level you are in your career. For entry go for cyber security, for experienced go management or something else that interests you.

I currently work as a contractor in cyber security and feel like the cyber security degree is a waste of time considering my boss has his Bachelors and Masters in IT Management and PhD in Information Assurance. Considering I want his job, I found that the management was a better approach for my specific situation.

Good luck and for any more info PM me, I’d be glad to help!
    Ph.D. IT [UC] - 50% complete
    M.S.C.I.A. [WGU] - Completed 6/2018
    B.S.I.T.M. [WGU] - Completed 4/2017
  • Options
    Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    Not to nit pick but it is a BS IT Security and a BS Business IT Management. The management degree is in the business group.
  • Options
    IMRAN_2055IMRAN_2055 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi HiWorld did your MCSE 2012 complete your security requirement?
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My enrollment counselor said that once you start classes you cannot get credit for any other courses/certs you get that are outside of the program you select. You will need to discuss whether or not you can submit additional certs for credit once you have been locked into a program.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    IMRAN_2055IMRAN_2055 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for the info, I havent started WGU yet.
  • Options
    Thank you very one for your reply.

So to give you all update on my process: I have selected BSIT Network Administrator as my major as I have more certificates from microsoft.
    Transcript evaluations came back and it gave me 46 CUs for all my certs. So I did the appeal for C183 and C184 and it was approved. So my transfer CUs are now 58.

So i finished my orientation on Oct 15th and I have Student mentor assigned on Oct 20th. I already had my first call with my mentor and second call is schedule tomorrow to final my degree plan. My official start date is Nov. 1st 2014.

So finally I will be Back to School very soon..... Feeling excited and little worried..
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    stryder144 wrote: »
    My enrollment counselor said that once you start classes you cannot get credit for any other courses/certs you get that are outside of the program you select. You will need to discuss whether or not you can submit additional certs for credit once you have been locked into a program.

I've never understood that - for example, if A+ is required, and I pass it outside of WGU (but once my term has started), how can they not give you credit for it? You can't just take it again.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    colemic wrote: »
    I've never understood that - for example, if A+ is required, and I pass it outside of WGU (but once my term has started), how can they not give you credit for it? You can't just take it again.

Exactly. Not to mention, if I've already started a term and take a few certs that are higher level than the classes WGU requires, I've just saved them money! They won't have to pay for the exam voucher, which seems like a pretty sweet deal to me.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You would think that this situation has come up already for them. I just don't see how they can't NOT give them credit for it.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed