Options

Career Advice for a newbie to IT

faizanchakifaizanchaki Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I totally new to IT profession. Although have been attached to computers and internet for a long time but I don't have a degree in CS. I have been studying finance and commerce.
I now want to do a career change and need advice on how to go about being a certified information security professional. Please guide.

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to the forums.

Since you stated such a specific goal it should be something you can look into already. If you have more specific questions there are a lot of active members and plenty of past posts on the subject.

This is a great site so stick around and I can assure you this site helps with motivation when it all seems like to much.

I would try this for starters.
    Let me google that for you
  • Options
    faizanchakifaizanchaki Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Googled it. It seems most people suggest doing CompTIA Security+ to get started. But I don't have any sort of experience in the field. I'm from Pakistan so I also don't know about the testing centres and fees etc.
  • Options
    DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you don't have any experience, I would recommend looking into the A+ and Network+ certification before considering Security+. There are plenty of free material on YouTube (such as Professor Messer) that you could watch to gain some insight on the IT field.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • Options
    Jonathan A.Jonathan A. Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm in the same boat as OP, looking to switch to IT and specialize in networks/security. I've received my CompTIA Network+ cert, but I still seem to fall on deaf ears/eyes. In my last application attempt, the recruiter told me I didn't have any experience in a Windows environment. The position was an entry level IT support and required basic Windows Vista/7 exposure.

Unless you're surrounded by a plethora of IT security companies, you're going to need to build on your certs and start from the beginning. Personally, I will probably sit for the Microsoft MTA exam, take a starter/entry level position, and maybe attempt MCSA shortly after.

When it comes down to it, you'll need to do some research yourself. As far as a career change, I would recommend obtaining an entry level certification such as the MTA because you're never going to beat out someone with professional experience.

If anyone else has any feedback or suggestions, I would certainly welcome it.
  • Options
    BaroneBarone Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If your completely new, something I've learned from the Service Desk environment is to sell your customer service skills and client relationship building/maintaining/managing skills. Technical skills help but you still need to communicate with people everyday.