Laminate Certificates or not?

I recently received my MCP certificate and dutifully decided to laminate it. I've laminated my A+ and Network+ certs along with other school and TAFE certificates. No problems so far.

I put the MCP cert through the old lamintor (after trimming it, we use A4 whereas the certificate is Legal???). I was literally horrified icon_mad.gif when my name came out smudged. It looked as though it was printed in ink and someone had left it in the rain. The other parts did not run. I've ordered another one.

My question what do people here feel about laminating their certs. icon_confused.gif: I place mine all into my CV after laminating...

Should I retry the laminating process on my MCDST and replacement MCP?

Comments

• supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    hmm..., no.
    icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    Never thought about laminating my certs...I laminated the card that came with A+ though
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • woodwormwoodworm Member Posts: 153
    I just put mine in a folder. Haven't seen some of them for a couple of years!
  • jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    Mine are in a stack on a shelf right now...I did laminate the A+ card when it came, but didn't bother with the others, they are on the shelf too. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    mine are in a folder
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • rockstar81rockstar81 Member Posts: 151
    I framed my A+ and Network + and had them hanging on the wall LOL icon_lol.gif I have sicne taken them down and now just keep them in a folder.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    All my certs are in $2 frames hanging on the wall of my office. Seeing how much bare wall there is remaining to cover is a motivation for me to keep studying for the next cert.
  • seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    Im with JD on this one.

Ive got my certs hanging in my apartment. My spare bedroom is my "office" with all my machines and test network in it. My diploma and certs hang in there.

I went to a "dollar store" and bought 5 or 6 frames.
  • plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    If you're going for a new job, is it important to bring the certificates along to the interview?

In Australia, a lot jobs are based on "selection criteria" specific to a position. For example, "Demonstrated knowledge in the use and support of Microsoft Windows XP" might be one criterion. To demonstrate this knowledge, you would write about your knowledge and back it up with a certification. Employers I've been interviewed by expect the original certificates at the interview. For this reason, the certificates get pulled out often and therefore I laminate them to protect them.

Is the job selection process different in the US/UK?[/b]
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I've heard of presenting your original high school or college diploma at an interview, but never a certificate of certification. I can see being asked to do so if there were legalities involved in the verification. However, most paper certificates are only ceremonial, and are not actually notarized for authenticity. The interviewer would still need to verify authenticity using the cert vendor's web site.
  • keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    jdmurray wrote:
    All my certs are in $2 frames hanging on the wall of my office. Seeing how much bare wall there is remaining to cover is a motivation for me to keep studying for the next cert.

Ditto, and everytime I move to a new house (just bought a new condo last week), I find another one I forgot I had. CNE CNA, etc etc.
  • jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    plettner wrote:
    If you're going for a new job, is it important to bring the certificates along to the interview?

I would say no. I went to an interview and in the envelope I was carrying, I had photocopies of all of my certifications and also one of the transcript from the Tech School I went to. When everything was done, the only thing that the interviewer took or really cared about was the Transcript. He did not want or really look at any of the certs.

So, if you have transcripts from any schools you attended, bring those along, but I don't think I'll be taking any certs with me on the next one... icon_rolleyes.gif
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I keep my certs in a binder in those clear plastic pages.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete