Thomson Prometric Horrible Accounting Dept

tweakingittweakingit Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
ok where do i start?
Test: 70-290

First Test: 70-290
I signed up for my test on Dec 12, 2005 and took the test on Dec 21, 2005 which i failed by 30pts icon_mad.gif .

Second Test: 70-290
I signed up for a retake of my failure, in Jan 2006 that i failed for the second time by 80pts. icon_evil.gif

i have decided to take a bit of a break now i am back to cramming.

Ok now for the issue with Prometric. both test where done through them. i received a call from someone identifying them selfs as with prometric today.

they stated that my credit card was declined on the Dec test which i took. and hadnt heard anything until 7 months later. they also stated that the reason it took them so long was that there where 6000 other people that had the same thing happen to them. Any one else heard from them?

What i dont understand is if the card was declined then why was i allowed to take the test in the first place? And why would they allow me to take the same test the second time, just a month latter. if i hadnt paid for the first one? All of my tests have been through them with no issues.

Also if they waited 7 months what kind of rights do i have here?

I am going to call them by the end of the day tomorrow after i clearly have all of the evidence from my bank, their website, and my records if i can dig them up.

i hope this all makes sence.. i am about to explode on someone at Prometric here.

Comments

• jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    Usually, and if they are even remotely up-to-date, your card should have been accepted or approved on the spot. Also, if they let you take it a second time, then something is strange. Are you sure that they are really Prometric? I would contact someone at Prometric and see for yourself. I mean, come one, they should know within 30 seconds if your card went through or not! I don't care how many people took it...and now, it is what, 7 months after you took the exam and they just found out that your card was declined? Sounds strange...

What are they asking for? Your credit card info over the phone? Pretty bold scam if it is not Prometric. Someone could have gotten ahold of names and numbers very easily...

Also, out of those 6000 people, how many passed? and are they now not certified because the charge didn't go through on their credit card, and Prometric won't acknowledge that they took the exam until they pay again? Not your fault that they messed up...

But call Prometric yourself. Did the one who called you leave a number to call them back? Or a name of who you were speaking to?

Lotsa luck! :D
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Don't give any card info over the phone!!!

Check your statements and have the evidence ready. Call Prometric and ask them about it.

If the person calls you again get as much info from them as you can and report them to the police.

Its definitely sounds like a scam
  • tweakingittweakingit Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yea i got a Phone # 1.866.625.7200 and her name was KIM at ext 1710

If its a Scam they got my Name Phone Number and the date i paid for the test and the date i took the test.
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    It sounds phishy (sic) to me too.
    I have been checking my statements and it looks as if i wasnt charged for the exam. but at the same time 7 months? and let me take another one the month after still sounds like they really messed up.

I have the confermation email and reciept From Prometric's Website.

I just got off of the phone with them "the Number from their site" and they said thier computers where down. MMMMM. down due to upgrades or a hacker got in.... the saga goes on. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    Just switch over to VUE and let Prometric eat the loss. It's not like it was your fault.

I say shine'em on. icon_cool.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
    Thats what i am thinking now.

is anyone else having issues logging in to Prometric?
    I find their site slow, but at least as of last week I was able to log on.
  • plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    is anyone else having issues logging in to Prometric?

yes, very slow. Also, if I want to view my candidate history, I must go through the schedule exam routine and select a test centre, etc. and then I can log on. I cannot find a "Log into your Account" link anywhere on the main page.
    I too, hate the dance it takes to get through their website. VERY poor design.
    I'm finding many sites are like that.

For example, I bought a new Norelco shaver. It had a card that said to go to a link for the shaver in order to get discount offers and enter into an instant drawing. Well, the site the card pointed to was the generic marketing page for their shavers, and I saw no link to the promo. I contacted their live online support, and they provided me with the correct URL. Why that URL wasn't linked on the marketing page that was on the card is beyond me.

The Prometric login URL is https://www.register.prometric.com/Login.asp
  • plettnerplettner Member Posts: 197
    Danman32 wrote:

icon_thumright.gif Works like a charm! Now only if their site was a little quicker sleeping.gifsleeping.gifsleeping.gif
    Yea that is much qucker. :D

The guy i talked to said that they would be taken care of it and i would hear back from them yesterday. still not one phone call from them.

i will keep everyone updated on what happens.
    I will no longer be using Prometric they can kiss my @ss, they told me it would be taken care of, now they are telling me another thing.

with such a CRAP full dept. btw all of the recepts or Conformations are worthless. they dont even reconize their own paper work.

I will advice all to go to VUE so that you dont get stuck with a cert bill 7 months after to took it. Maybe their dept just as bad. i will be finding out i guess.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I will no longer be using Prometric they can kiss my @ss, they told me it would be taken care of, now they are telling me another thing.

with such a CRAP full dept. btw all of the recepts or Conformations are worthless. they dont even reconize their own paper work.

I will advice all to go to VUE so that you dont get stuck with a cert bill 7 months after to took it. Maybe their dept just as bad. i will be finding out i guess.

Well, it is definately your perogitive to use Vue and also to recommend them to others. If I recall the initial beef you had with them was that you registered for an exam, took that exam, and due to some error on their end didn't officially get charged for the exam for several months after the fact. While this is defniately a crappy situation, you do owe the money for the exam you took, correct?

Personally, I watch my (financial) statements much more closesly and would have called them had I not seen the charge come through, but that's just the old accoutant in me.

Are you sore about being charged for the service you used? Or sore that it took so long to straighten out?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    I do owe them money for the exam, you are correct, so i will be paying them for it.

I am sore becouse it took them so long to get it straighten out.

A good buisness is not ran this way. What if i passed the cert would they take my Cert away? or would have it be resolve earlyer.

I mean this wasnt the last test i took with them. I took the exact same test one month latter.
    Then completely diff one a month after that and passed that one.
  • kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have been checking my statements and it looks as if i wasnt charged for the exam. but at the same time 7 months? and let me take another one the month after still sounds like they really messed up.

I have the confermation email and reciept From Prometric's Website.

I just got off of the phone with them "the Number from their site" and they said thier computers where down. MMMMM. down due to upgrades or a hacker got in.... the saga goes on. icon_rolleyes.gif

Lets see, 6000 people who didn't get charged for exams times $125 per exam (some cost more, some cost less). Thats $750,000. Hmmm, I think I would miss that pretty quick if it were my business.

If you have the confirmation e-mail and receipt, print them out and save them as proof. They said you paid. Maybe if they take enough lumps, they will learn how to run a business.
    They told me that their confirmation and Recept which i have both, didnt mean sqat
  • kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    They told me that their confirmation and Recept which i have both, didnt mean sqat

They can say that all they want, you still have proof.
    That only says you submitted a form of payment. That does not say that the form of payment went through. Many CC transactions are not submitted til later as batch processing. Granted, an online transaction should get an approval from the CC company right away, sometimes that's not possible.

It is similar to submitting a check. Giving a check as form of payment and getting a receipt doesn't say that the check will or has gone through and cleared. Ask a store how many times they have accepted a check that bounced.
    Yes the Recept is proof of Submittied Payment, but would the Confirmation be the Proof of payment?
    Probably not. The confirmation is usually immediate, and simply a duplicate of what you get over the web.

Even if their system normally does do CC authorization checks at the time of registration (which again still doesn't mean that payment will be made, just ask any fueling station), the link could have been down and they may have stored the authorization requests for batch processing later so that test takers won't be inconvenienced by a down registration system.

However I agree that a problem should show up within a day or two max.

I had rented a car from a rental company due to needed body work. They were all screwed up. I contested an overcharge for a few days, and the credit card company instead credited me the entire amount, not just the disputed amount. The rental company never followed up.
    I suppose they were OK with only getting the portion of payment from my insurance company. That was over 15 years ago though. Transactions occur much faster now, often instantaneously.
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Yes the Recept is proof of Submittied Payment, but would the Confirmation be the Proof of payment?

I Agree Danman32, it isn't 'proof' of payment, merely proof of the method of payment.

Unless they state otherwise on the receipt, your 'proof' will be when your statement reflects the charge.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    So the only true proof is My Bank Statement.

i am now a VUE member only.
    The same thing can happen there. It can happen anywhere you use a CC or check.
    hopefully their acct dept is better i do not want this to happen again.
  • Gabe7055Gabe7055 Member Posts: 158
    Well I am glad to see I am not the only one this happened too. I also took a test the second week of December and just like got a phone call saying I owed $125.00.

I checked my records and just like you I wasn't charged for the exam so I really had no choice but to pay them, I mean I did recieve a service so they did deserve there money. Apperantly just must have been a really big screw up in December.

I was a little curious as to why I hadn't heard anything sooner but you know these big compaines most of the time in less they are auditing there records they never even notice the loss of almost a million dollars.
    Thank God there's another person i was wondering where the other 6000 people went. I have owend up and payed them as well.
    i was a little woried about phishing hacks. There has been to much of this going on lately.
  • EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Same thing happened to me last year about a month after i took an exam!
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    Since this was in December, it probably had to do with the credit card clearing problem one of the major companies (I don't remember which) had during the holiday shopping season. Most retailers fixed their problem within a few days and their customers never knew about it, but I guess Prometric finally realized they didn't get paid. After all this time, the credit card company won't honor the previous charges so Prometric is having to go back to their customers to re-charge them.