Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Did already, they also sent me like a experience template which I submitted too.
    Hopefully It will turn out for the good. The reason I'm asking is that the adviser made a lot of emphasis (multiple times) on the ccna.
    meh
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    They gave me the green light with my work experience. Now just need the OK on my Comp Science major and I'll be starting WGU soon :D.
    meh
  • BrigBrig Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Re IT Net Admin, the course pdf says "Outside vender assessment" for classes C185 C186 and C187 that replace the classes that were originally for the MCSA Server 2008 (AHV1, AIV1, AJV1). All other changes are clear, CCNA now Net+ and Win7 70-680 replaced with 70-687 and 70-688. CWV1 and DEV1 removed.

Network Policies and Service Management
    C185

Network Reliability and Fault Tolerance
    C187

Server Administration
    C186

Does anyone know what the new outside vender assessments are without speculating.

Thanks.
  • BrigBrig Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ok - It was as I guessed but officially just got answer from my mentor. Update for new IT net admin.

C185
    Configuring Advanced Server 2012 Services
    70-412
    MCSA Windows Server 2012

C186
    Administering Windows Server 2012
    70-411
    MCSA Windows Server 2012

C187
    Installing and Configure Server 2012
    70-410
    MCSA Windows Server 2012

• tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm sorry for yet another question about WGU. A little back story about myself: I already have a liberal arts BS degree and a masters degree in library science (which I'm not going to list on my resume to avoid being labeled being "overqualified") and I' am going to be graduating with an AAS in Information Technology in December which my courses have been basically focused on A+ (which I'm studying for), Network+ (which I have recently passed), Security+, intro to Linux, Windows Server. However, I just begun a course in Systems Analysis and I like it. Also, I have been considering going back for either an IT or CIS degree. The other night I talked to a friend and he spoke very highly of WGU and he recommended the school to me but the issue here is he is finishing up his graduate education program, not IT. With all of this being said, I like the idea of applying to WGU but I still have some questions. For one, could I use one of the WGU IT programs to become a systems analyst, web developer, database admin, or a technical writer? I'm not sure what area I want to go into yet but I really would like to work in libraries or higher education professionally.
  • keitarokeitaro Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So I'm looking at starting the Software Development track. Does anyone have any recommendations for mentors? I'd like a mentor that will be okay with me going at a faster pace.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Can you select a specific mentor?
  • Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    I don't believe so.
    I've read accountability threads wherein students were able to ask for and get a specific mentor.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I actually can't see any valid reason why they will not accommodate a faster pace. After all they always sell the whole accelerated aspect.
    You’ll be able to take advantage of what you already know. After all, your progress is determined by whether you can "prove" you know your stuff. If you can prove it sooner than later because of prior experience and education, perfect! You’ll be able to draw upon this experience to complete assessments faster, ultimately saving you both time and money.
    I told my mentor my goal was to finish as soon as possible. She understood and has been flexible giving me additional courses every time I've asked. In 6 weeks I've completed 4 classes. I just keep her informed of my plans and prove I can deliver. That's it. It has worked great so far.
    It varies from Mentor to Mentor. They have rules they need to follow. If a student is making progress and not failing exams most will be as flexible as possible but you may need to show them you are serious first. Some Mentors may be more skeptical. Again I haven't heard of students getting to choose a Mentor but perhaps they make exceptions.
  • ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    I have decided to change my major. I enrolled in the Software Emphasis, but after much consideration I've decided that Network Administration, though poorly named, is much closer to my career goals and my past experience.

You can accelerate courses, you just have to finish your regularly scheduled courses first. I am taking my first exam on Monday, and then I am planning a marathon test day a few weeks later to knock out the IT Fundamentals 1-3. I breezed through the practice exams for the first two, and I have a couple areas of study for the third. It shouldn't take very long. Part of the reasons I am taking them all at once is the Pearson Vue testing center is ~ 60 miles away from me. On a bright point, work will be paying for me to be there, I just have to pay for my own fuel.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • myworldmyworld Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Finally i applied 3 days ago for BSIT-Network. I had my first call with EC today morning...and I was like REALLY>>>> I know more then him just by doing research on WGU website about transfer credit for IT certificates...and other things....and on top of they...he had only 15 mins...we just talk about 2 things..and he said..i have to go..i have other call to do....we will talk again next week...really????
    Once you get past the enrollment coordinator the student mentors are better, though I still know more than mine. She's nice enough though. Very helpful. I don't think she's to happy about me wanting to switch majors though. I've only been enrolled for a month. I was in a hurry to get started and I couldn't decided which I wanted to do.

Then I just recently had a reminder, I like to do programming for fun. Doing it for other people on their time tables just makes me mad and takes all of the fun out of it.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    I really hope my experience with WGU after passing this knowledge less EC is good. He told me that i can not enroll until November 1 as Oct 1 is no longer option available.
    The same thing happened to me. I was trying to get in for July, but I wasn't able to get everything in in time so I started in August instead.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    Question: So most likely i am going to start my first term at November 1st at WGU in BSIT-Network.

I have turned in all my certificate to WGU for transfer credit right now. only thing missing is my Old diploma from technical college which i did. it should be in in week or two. (But diploma has all technical courses and it is over 5 years so i am not sure if they will give me any credit for that?????)

So from now till November 1st - If i pass any other certificate (ex. CIW and project+) then Will I get transfer Credit for them as it is still before the start of first term? I asked this to my EC, and he didn't have clear answer.
    He is probably right Myworld. You have to have everything completed and approved prior to the 15th which is Monday. ECs are a pain. Mentors less so but you still have to work with them. Its not a perfect system but it is worth all the advantages WGU has.
    The certs have to be turned in before you are admitted so that could be touchy. Why not finish studying for them and take them after you start on WGU's dime?
    Thanks Cis0kidd. I think i will do as you said. be ready for 2 to 3 cert. exam by November 1 and give them in first month.
    What exam do you have to give for IT Fundamentals I in BSIT-Network?
    In BSIT-Network it says you need to pass "CIW Web Foundations Associate exam (1D0-510)"
    But when i search online 1D0-510 is retired now so which is the official exam for IT Fundamentals I ???
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Looking at the CIW site it says 1D0-610is the new version. I'd still call WGU to confirm though if you're trying to take it before you start.
    Thanks Danielm7. I talked to my EC and he was able to confirme that 1D0-610 is the exam for IT Fundamentals I. So thanks.

So today All my transcripts are in now at WGU. Waiting for transcript evaluation................
    My EC told me it can take 2 weeks for transcript evaluation to come back. and he setup a call after two week for Intake Interview. he said he can't do anything till transcript evaluation comes back.

IS IT TRUE that it takes 2 weeks for transcript evaluation to come back?

How long did it took for transcript evaluation to come back for all of you here who applied for BSIT any track?

thanks.
    Mine was done in 3 days after they were received. It just depends on how busy they are.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    Mine took a lot longer. i would give em a week and start buggingvthe crap out of them!
    I had my intake today and was told by my ec that I am "technically" in the program now but I should still keep an eye out for a confirmation email (from admissions?) in the following weeks. Does this mean that I've been accepted and the follow-up email is just a formality? I ask because my ec says that they're capping students for my program so I'm hoping that after what transpired today I'm in.
    keitaro wrote: »
    I had my intake today and was told by my ec that I am "technically" in the program now but I should still keep an eye out for a confirmation email (from admissions?) in the following weeks. Does this mean that I've been accepted and the follow-up email is just a formality? I ask because my ec says that they're capping students for my program so I'm hoping that after what transpired today I'm in.

What program are you doing at WGU? How long did it took for your transcript evaluation ?
    thanks.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Can I take just one term per year. I am considering WGU but I am interested in taking breaks between semesters.

Another quick question. The online information request spells out that I am giving them permission to call and text me. Has anyone found them to be excessive. I think I will call instead of applying online as I am skeptical of the online wording.

I appreciate your responses.
    Jon
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've heard breaks between terms are frowned upon, they go into it quite a bit when you're signing up. If there is an emergency I think they look at it differently, but your best answer is going to be asking the school directly.
  • volumevolume Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You can take a 1, 2, or 3 month break between terms, but longer than that and they make you withdraw and go through admissions again.

http://sh.wgu.edu/articles/StudentHandbook/2102