CCNP Switch Lab

bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
About a month into my Switch studies. Just wondering if anyone on the forums has some advice for labbing in the Switch. I'm a bit short on cash at the moment so ideally wanted to use Lab simulators.

I've had a look at GNS3, however it doesn't seem you can fully emulate switches and miss features such as VLAN's, VRRP etc.
2018 Goal: CCIE Written [ ]

Comments

• OfWolfAndManOfWolfAndMan Member Posts: 923 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You could either do some of the basic things in packet tracer and/or get into GNS3 and attach a 16-ESW card which have switchport capabilities. FYI FHRP interface tracking is not supported in PT.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
  • bharvey92bharvey92 Member Posts: 419
    Okay thanks, Is there any tutorials on setting up this in GNS3 that you may have used. Just find it a bit silly how GNS3 is perfect for NP Route but for Switch it's pretty redundant.
  • xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CCNP Switch is one of those things you've really got to use actual switches for as IOU and the Switch module in GNS3 will never be able to replicate a real Cisco 3560 switch
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
    There are many commands you can't input on the 16-ESW, but if you don't have the money, you don't have the money and you have to work with what you have. I understand that.

You'll have to put the #switchport command on the ports to enable L2 capabilities. The vlan configuration is a little different as doing the #vlan [#] doesn't work. You have to use #vlan database command to input your vlan data. IOU is an option as well, but it is a bit buggy. Here is a list of ESW features:

Switching simulation in GNS3 - GNS3

Unfortunately, the problem with no switch is RSTP and MSTP is not configurable on the ESW as well (I think PT supports it). If you can get your hands on at least one switch, that'd be good. If not, I understand, but you'll realize that it may be necessary.
    :study:Reading: Lab Books, Ansible Documentation, Python Cookbook 2018 Goals: More Ansible/Python work for Automation, IPSpace Automation Course [X], Build Jenkins Framework for Network Automation []
    Thanks for that, if I was to get some equipment. What would you recommend OfWolfAndMan? I assume you practiced with real equipment?
  • ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.
    Wow thanks Ninja Turtle that's brilliant!!

Good stuff bro! Harvey, you have three options for a good switch.

3550 (Good) ~$50-$100
    3750 (Better) ~$200
    3560 (Best) ~$250-$300

There are many reasons for this. All three support L3 switching, but the 3560 supports PVLAN and advanced QoS commands to name a couple. 3560s are also upgradable to ios 15. This switch will stay around even when you're going for your CCIE one day. 3750s have the advantage of the stackwise feature, which is basically stacking physical switches so the multiple switches appear as one logical unit, eliminating STP complexities. Obviously the more features, the more pricy. Assuming you get the correct specific model, the 3750 and 3560 both support PoE for the price I gave above if it's used. Not sure your budget but this is something you should check out
  • xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I thought the 3750 was better than the 3560...??
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
    xnx wrote: »
    I thought the 3750 was better than the 3560...??

It depends on the 3750 we're talking about. The base model is not upgradable past 12.2 and lacks advanced QoS and one or two other features. 3750x, 3750v2 and 3750g are upgradable and still have stackwise. So yes and no.

The correct model you want to get for the other is 3560-8PC-S. Or 12PC-S. 3560c is fun as well. However, the 3750-24FS supports 15.x, but this is a fiber port switch. :D
  • Ken217aKen217a Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, I was told you could do about 90% using the (2)3550's . But then I asked Keith Barker of CBT Nuggets, and he told me this:

Get some 3560s, and use the EMI license that supports the L3 stuff. Here is a good discussion about EMI:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/47544

3 switches will be enough. I have heard that some of the switches that were built to use SMI, also work with the EMI image, but haven't done the testing and verification of that. If that were the case, it would be less expensive for a home lab.

Best wishes,

Keith

So, I have 1 3550 now, and plan on getting one more, or trying to get 2 3560's.

Good Luck,
    Ken
  • ampdeckampdeck Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ken217a wrote: »
    Well, I was told you could do about 90% using the (2)3550's . But then I asked Keith Barker of CBT Nuggets, and he told me this:

Get some 3560s, and use the EMI license that supports the L3 stuff. Here is a good discussion about EMI:

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/47544

3 switches will be enough. I have heard that some of the switches that were built to use SMI, also work with the EMI image, but haven't done the testing and verification of that. If that were the case, it would be less expensive for a home lab.

Best wishes,

Keith

So, I have 1 3550 now, and plan on getting one more, or trying to get 2 3560's.

Good Luck,
    Ken

Hi Ken, would you recommend 3560 instead? Im planning to get on eBay....
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□

Beat me to it. Only thing is many people don't clear their configs after they get done, leaving passwords (labswitch says to use "cisco", but almost noone does) or worse "login local" without a username. Unless you have time to search through the console logs (hopefully, they didn't use "login local" without creating a user, specify a method list without "local-case" as a fallback, or paste a configuration with a Type 5 password), I would just use whatever switches you can get into immediately (either no passwords or they followed directions and used "cisco"). Be aware that you might pick up VLANs from other switches via VTP, so you may need to clear the VLANs after changing the VTP Domain.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]