help figuring out what certs for entry level

robby8robby8 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
i am new to networking and i have no past training or experience, i was told that if i complete CCNA and [FONT=Ubuntu, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida, sans-serif]MCSA, it would be enough to get most entry level networking jobs, is this true?[/FONT]

[FONT=Ubuntu, Helvetica, Arial, Lucida, sans-serif]is it possible to get a good entry level job with a certificate or 2 and no degree? if so which ones would be the best and quickest, thank you very much for your help[/FONT]

Comments

• jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It depends on a lot of things such as who you know, where you apply, company requirements and so on.

Usually the A+, Network+, Security+, CCENT or MCTS are common entry-level certifications that I've seen people get.
    Usually companies want you to have some type of experience before touching servers or networking equipment but I'm not saying that it's not impossible for you to do some tasks that are related to those technologies.

Sometimes showing the willingness/motivation to learn is all you need along with some knowledge.

I would suggest that you try working at a small and local ISP for your first job.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • kcrispi182kcrispi182 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A+,Network+,MTA
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Will just the fact that you have those certifications secure you a job? No. Will they help along with a bunch of other variables? Yes.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • paperslugpaperslug Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It depends.

I landed my first IT job with no degree and just the A+ cert. It was an entry level help desk gig that paid $15/hour.

I started studying for the CCNA after work and landed a networking gig at a MSP after getting the cert. There was another guy hired into the same position that had no degree and just the CCNA also. He had little to no experience so he started at slightly lower pay than me but we did the same job basically.

There are hiring managers out there who take chances as long as you show you're smart, hard working, and willing to learn.