Considering a Degree in IT Management

bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey all,

I posted something similar on one of the WGU threads but since this is a general education related topic I just wanted to put it out there and get some feedback if possible. Basically I just want to get an idea of whether my thought process here is plausable or completely crazy.

I have been planning my career for quite some time and decided when I got in to IT that I just didnt have time to get a degree before starting in this field, I needed solid work that would allow me to work a 9 to 5, have weekends off, basically everything that you dont get in the retail world. So I started studying, got MS certified, started working Help Desk, am now Cisco certified and I am thinking that it is time to start school. I have always planned on starting school I just havent had time with work, a kid, and my self studies.

My thought process toward my college education is this (and this is where I want to know if I sound crazy) I am fully capable of learning the technical aspects of this career without assistance, furthermore, continuing to get certifications on my own will prove my ability and knowledge on a strictly technical basis, so wouldnt it be kind of a waste for me to get a technical degree? I feel that my schooling may be better spent learning the ins and outs of business/management. Even if I werent going to go in to IT management, Im not saying I wont, but if I didnt, I feel as though the more general scope of a business degree on top of my technical experience and certifications would make more well rounded than a strictly technical path.

My decision time is today, I have fully studied the course in its entirety and I do feel like this is what I want but there are obviously doubst in that pessimistic hemisphere of my brain that are saying "what if your lack of experience in this field are clouding your judgement?, what if this is all a mistake?" I would hate to realize after all that time and effort that my thought process was completely flawed.

Obviously everyones situation is different and nobody here is going to be able to tell me with 100% certainty if what I am thinking is right but I guess I am just curious to see if it sounds logical or completely banannas :)
If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one

Comments

• Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You have to know yourself. Do you enjoy considering the business side of things? Do you understand when a boss does not hire additional help it's because of business priorities that don't match your own? I personally like the business aspect and often think from the employer perspective. If your one that likes to fight against the system then I would consider this choice carefully.

In the end I know a couple of people in the industry that have a business administration degree and it has severed them well. It sounds to me like you have a good plan and I would suggest following it. Sometimes the hardest part is just getting started.

Good Luck!
  • CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    I would recommend an undergraduate degree in Technical, perfectly Western Governor University because you can line up with your IT certification. Once you have a solid degree and experience, then work yourself into the Management route with an MS in IT Management or an MBA degree. If you are still looking technical works, but seeking Business Management degree would be out of scope. And it is hard to concentrate; especially, the IT field is broad enough.

For formal education, I have several certifcates in Military Leadership, a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, a Master of Science in Telecommunications, a Master of Professional in Technology Management, and now working on a Ph.D in Information Assurance. I don't have any bussiness degree, but I can manage a business or a group of people without any problem.

Well, that is my 2 cents.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.
  • bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    You have to know yourself. Do you enjoy considering the business side of things? Do you understand when a boss does not hire additional help it's because of business priorities that don't match your own? I personally like the business aspect and often think from the employer perspective. If your one that likes to fight against the system then I would consider this choice carefully.

In the end I know a couple of people in the industry that have a business administration degree and it has severed them well. It sounds to me like you have a good plan and I would suggest following it. Sometimes the hardest part is just getting started.

Good Luck!

I have always been the type of person to look at things from all angles, with personal matters, politics, work related issues, etc. it is just part of my nature. I understand, even now, that most companies are not controlled by people, but rather, profit, this mentality isnt on an account of any one person it is simply an amalgomation of how people operate as a whole. With that said the ability to view things objectively in a business environment shouldnt be a problem for me.

My main concern in a management type position would be the fact that I tend to want to please people but I think that is something that I can condition myself for. Thanks for the response!
    I would recommend an undergraduate degree in Technical, perfectly Western Governor University because you can line up with your IT certification. Once you have a solid degree and experience, then work yourself into the Management route with an MS in IT Management or an MBA degree. If you are still looking technical works, but seeking Business Management degree would be out of scope. And it is hard to concentrate; especially, the IT field is broad enough.

For formal education, I have several certifcates in Military Leadership, a Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, a Master of Science in Telecommunications, a Master of Professional in Technology Management, and now working on a Ph.D in Information Assurance. I don't have any bussiness degree, but I can manage a business or a group of people without any problem.

Well, that is my 2 cents.

That is what I had originally planned but my counselor sort of talked me out of it. I was supposed to make a decision last week but he gave me a week to think about it because he said that I didnt seem sure on the phone and he wanted to make sure that I was making the right decision. He seemed to think that I should be going for directly what I want, he made an analogy of a building where HD is first floor, Networking second, Systems third, Management fourth, etc. and asked me what floor I wanted to be on. My response to that was that I would like to be on the top floor but I need to climb the others to get there, he didnt seem to agree with this stating that I should simply go straight in to it, taking the elevator if you will.
    If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one
    bugzy3188 wrote: »
    That is what I had originally planned but my counselor sort of talked me out of it. I was supposed to make a decision last week but he gave me a week to think about it because he said that I didnt seem sure on the phone and he wanted to make sure that I was making the right decision. He seemed to think that I should be going for directly what I want, he made an analogy of a building where HD is first floor, Networking second, Systems third, Management fourth, etc. and asked me what floor I wanted to be on. My response to that was that I would like to be on the top floor but I need to climb the others to get there, he didnt seem to agree with this stating that I should simply go straight in to it, taking the elevator if you will.

If you want to market yourself in the employment, then stick with techical degree. Just remember that both public and private sectors need more INDIANS than CHIEFS. Most of the time a senior technical guy makes more money than his imediate manager. What his your WGU counselor highest education level? Also, how long he has been in the field and corporate world? I am currently at Nova Southeastern University, and all the academic advisors Doctorate programs has a Bachelor degree as the highest educational level. I usually, don't listen to them. I only use them to request for changing courses, or administration purposes only.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OK, so lets say I did pursue a technical degree before moving on to the business end. My primary focus in IT is networking, it is what I am drawn to and it is what I am good at. With that said, the degree that I feel is best for me is the B.S. in IT - Security as this seems to focus more on networking technologies. However, again, my counselor was opposed to me going for this degree as I do not actually plan on being in security. I am trying to find a degree that works best for me and feel that the BS in security does but I dont want it to label me as a security guy, if that makes sense. Oddly enough the network administration degree seems to focus more on systems and not networks which is not what I want.
    bugzy3188 wrote: »
    OK, so lets say I did pursue a technical degree before moving on to the business end. My primary focus in IT is networking, it is what I am drawn to and it is what I am good at. With that said, the degree that I feel is best for me is the B.S. in IT - Security as this seems to focus more on networking technologies. However, again, my counselor was opposed to me going for this degree as I do not actually plan on being in security. I am trying to find a degree that works best for me and feel that the BS in security does but I dont want it to label me as a security guy, if that makes sense. Oddly enough the network administration degree seems to focus more on systems and not networks which is not what I want.

Well, if that is the case the find a program in Bachelor of Science in Telecommunications or Telecomunications Management. The telecommunications program is more into networking (LAN, WAN, GAN, PAN, SAN, OSFP, BGP, EIGRP, and etc). But you should get into the Bachelor of Science in Information Technology - Networking. Sometimes, the courses in the program does not matter as the degree title itself. Do not get into Security if you do not plan to be in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]