EX401 - passed

brombulecbrombulec Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
EX401 passed yesterday.
It was the last higher-level exam on my RHCA path. The last step (renew RHCE) next Friday.

Some exam tips:
- learn SAM (Subscription Asset Manager) and integration between SAM and Satellite. On the new version of exam (with Satellite 6) this is "must"
- learn SVN - all parts, not only create, import, checkout,commit
- RPMs - signing (GPG), creating (SPEC files - use vim's file.spec template)
- observe the clock - timing is essential. The exam lasts 4 hours but believe me - it's better to have more time for testing. Especially on this exam.
- be careful and do not speed-up some things. The server has some delays (deleting packages, systems, channels)
- Kickstarting - the crucial point is to use "-y" in "yum install" command. You get stuck on the last stage of post-install process without this.

--
Regards

Comments

• darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Congrats! Looks like new RHCA soon. :)
  • brombulecbrombulec Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I hope so :) Maybe on October 1st I'll wear proudly red fedora on my head :)
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!

I do have to say though that I'm surprised that SVN is on the exam these days. A majority of organizations have adopted git at this point.
    Git is not supported by RedHat in version 6.x. It should be implemented in 7.x mainline.
    But I think it's better to know SVN than nothing. :)
  • asummersasummers Member Posts: 157
    brombulec wrote: »
    Git is not supported by RedHat in version 6.x. It should be implemented in 7.x mainline.
    But I think it's better to know SVN than nothing. :)

ultimately - you would assume that the config control tool (svn or other) would be more tightly intergrated with Satellite Server. Right now it does not really have anything interaction with each other
    Not exactly - in the Satellite Server the configurations, kickstarts and a few other files are vesioned so you can assume that they are using some kind of SVN/GIT/CVS for this.
  • asummersasummers Member Posts: 157
    brombulec wrote: »
    Not exactly - in the Satellite Server the configurations, kickstarts and a few other files are vesioned so you can assume that they are using some kind of SVN/GIT/CVS for this.

Not exactly - the exam objective is to be able to configure a svn server/client - you can not do that with the Satellite Server gui.
    You're right. The SVN should be configured via command line. But it's 3 maybe 4 commands needed for full configuration. So it's not big deal :)