How to start the journey - panic

dredlorddredlord Member Posts: 172
Dear All,

Would appriciate if somone could give me some advice on how to start the challange, recently completed the CCNP and would like to attempt the ccie (realisticly I am around 4 years away from the lab). I am a bit intimidated by the sheer scale if the endevor, how do you tackle the nerves?

My first objective is to know routing and switching vol 1 and 2 like the palm of my hand.

Comments

• ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Make a weekly schedule for studying, stick to it no matter what, I'd aim for at least 20-25 hours a week of reading.
  • NOC-NinjaNOC-Ninja Member Posts: 1,403
    1. Read CCIE books.
    2. Buy narbik, ipexpert or INE workbook. > build your lab > lab it out
    3. time you need to allocate will depend on you.
    My experience on learning is different compare to yours.
    I used 3-4hrs everything on the weekdays and full 8-16hrs on the weekends depending on my schedule.
    There will be emergency, getting sick, parents bdays that I have to stop studying.
    4. be inspired. there will be a point in your studying that you will ask yourself why am i doing this? im so tired! i want to give up. I can count that happening so many times. maybe more than 100 times.
    5. dealing with failure. Just in case you fail, dont give up. There were times that I felt like crying and just becoming so depress. i kept telling myself dont give up no matter what.
    6. attempt the test. Set a date. Even if you are not ready on that date. Take the test! you need to see the test to know what you really up against. No matter what people say, the test itself is an experience. Building a lab itself is an experience. icon_cool.gif
  • ninjaturtleninjaturtle Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Very well said NOC-Ninja! You can apply that to all other certifications too, just change the materials needed for that specific certification. But you bring up many good points, some of which have crossed my mind. But we just have to power through. The lab is your friend!!

Cheers,
    Current Study Discipline: CCIE Data Center
    Cisco SEAL, Cisco SWAT, Cisco DeltaForce, Cisco FBI, Cisco DoD, Cisco Army Rangers, Cisco SOCOM .ιlι..ιlι.
  • ScalesScales Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dredlord wrote: »
    Dear All,

Would appriciate if somone could give me some advice on how to start the challange, recently completed the CCNP and would like to attempt the ccie (realisticly I am around 4 years away from the lab). I am a bit intimidated by the sheer scale if the endevor, how do you tackle the nerves?

My first objective is to know routing and switching vol 1 and 2 like the palm of my hand.

I haven't got my CCIE but my plan when i start to study for it will be to read the sections of the OCG from Narbik - then the corresponding section in another book. For example: read the EIGRP section in the OCG then read the EIGRP section in routing tcp/ip and lab it up in GNS/whatever while making notes.

thats just my 2c but better to take other people advice who have actually done it and passed.