Gutted! SYO-401 Failure

ryanstapleyryanstapley Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, This is the first time I have posted on here but I have used it alot over the past 6 weeks while I was studying for the SYO-401. I am required to complete the Security + exam for my role within 3 months and After six weeks I believed I was ready well today was the day and I failed at 625 (66 Questions) so I overestimated my confidence in passing. I used CBT nuggets, Darril gibsons exam question bank for 301 as I could not find anything for 401 (If it had been my choice I would have done the 301 but the company had booked it)and plenty of other online questions. I admit I struggled with some of the performance based questions (Although I practice them they seemed alot more difficult in the exam) and some of the wording to the questions were difficult to understand. I know I am not far off but can people recommend any other Material that will get me over the line ? Thanks for your replies in advance Ryan

Comments

• karl88karl88 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    After I get Network+ which will be very soon, I'll start studying for Security+. I’ve looked at the objectives, and there seems to be quite a bit of overlap with Network+. I have the SY0-301 and SY0-401 list of objectives from CompTIA if you want to contrast the differences, or you could download them yourself. Some differences are listed here: CompTIA Security+ SY0-401 vs. SY0-301 Changes - InfoSec Institute

Maybe your employer will let you take SY0-301, or maybe they’re set on you taking SY0-401 since it’s newer. Score of 625 is pretty low. If I were you, I’d read a whole book again.
  • AnthonyGAnthonyG Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Get Darril Gibson's SY0-301 book read it, take notes, and pass the 301.
  • no!all!no!all! Member Posts: 245 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I second Darril's book. It was everything I needed. His practice exams on his blog definitely helped out, too..
    A+, N+, S+, CCNA:RS, CCNA:Sec

"In high society TCP is more welcome than UDP. At least it knows a proper handshake" - Ben Franklin

2019 Goals: CCNP:RS & relocate to St. Pete, FL!
  • GeeLoGeeLo Member Posts: 112 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I recommend: CompTIA Security+ Study Guide: SY0-401, 6th Edition. Company is Sybex. The authors are Emmett Dulaney and Chuck Easttom.
    I actually reached out to Mr. Dulaney after I passed Security+ to compliment him on his book and He is a very nice guy.
    The book is very well written, and I recommend it.
    And "do not" beat yourself up from failing.. we all fail at times, remember the reason why we fall, is to get back up.
    It worked for Batman. icon_wink.gif
    -Geelo (15 years, Infosec)
    Vendor Neutral Certified in IT Project Management, Security, Servers, Workstations, Software, Networking, Windows, Unix and Linux and.. Cloud. :-)
  • ryanstapleyryanstapley Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have turned the frown upside down :) and last Friday at the second attempt passed the SYO-401. Thanks for the advice to the people who replied I just was not ready for the first attempt.
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on the pass icon_thumright.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • IT_NerdIT_Nerd Member Posts: 25 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have turned the frown upside down :) and last Friday at the second attempt passed the SYO-401. Thanks for the advice to the people who replied I just was not ready for the first attempt.

Good news! What did you do differently this time?