Onboarding?

rtdrtd Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just got hired as a Software QA and it's my first "real" or career job in my field. They extended me the offer this morning and I go in tomorrow for onboarding. My question is this; we have still not said a word about salary! I know what market should be at for entry range but is that normal? Many people told me that does happen but I was surprised that she didn't say anything after I said I would accept it.

I guess I will find out one way or another tomorrow... Does anyone have any advice about negotiation? I''ve read about it online but I always welcome people speaking from experience. This site obviously has a wealth of experience people who have been very nice. Also what should I wear to the onboarding? Still suit and tie? Or no suit this time and just shirt and tie? I will probably just go with the suit because that's pretty standard.

Comments

• ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    you accepted an offer without knowing the salary of the position?
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not sure how they could have extended an offer without salary. You accepted that? I wouldn't assume it was anywhere near market rate unless they tell you what the number is.

As for negotiation, find out what the market rate is, put a value on the other benefits like health/vacation/etc, then factor that in too. When you went to the interview could you see what everyone else there was wearing?
  • rtdrtd Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    @ajs1976 It's weird I know, but I'm given to understand many companies will only discuss salary after extending an offer which I can understand. I believe that is one of the many things I'm going to be discussing with them tomorrow along with benefits etc. They pretty much just called me back earlier to let me know I got the job I haven't signed anything yet so it's not official.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Let's back up for a minute. How exactly does one get an offer and start onboarding without discussing salary? And "offer" without salary is just an employer expressing interest. I have never seen this and can't imagine any half-decent employer doing this. Unacceptable crap like this is why employers abuse candidates.
    rtd wrote: »
    It's weird I know, but I'm given to understand many companies will only discuss salary after extending an offer which I can understand.

I'm sorry but that just makes no sense at all. I've never heard of a company doing that. So they tell someone they got the job, they get there and it's 25% of the average salary? If they gave you an offer, it would have included a salary that you would have had to agree to, they can't just hire you for some undisclosed amount of money.
    they extend an offer and it includes information such as pay, benefits, etc.
    Andy

• tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    Agreed with the rest on this. I'm shocked it went this far without even a small notion of salary... Salary is usually one of the first things I try to get an estimate on. Lets face it, money isn't everything in a career but it sure does help. I'd like to know I will be able to pay the rent and keep food on my table and have some extra for savings.

For all you know they could pay you federal minimum wage. Everyone makes mistakes but you should be sure that in the future you NEVER accept an offer until you know exactly how much you're getting paid.
    @cyberguypr I have not begun onboarding. That will take place tomorrow. I had an interview yesterday and received a call this morning that I had been extended an offer. I'm given to understand there is a different between that phone conversation and formally accepting ( signing an agreement ). I was trying my best to follow various social protocols about not bringing up salary expecting them to bring it up. Obviously I'm not signing jack until I know what's going on specifically. This is the first time this is all happening to me.

My understanding is that I will likely go in tomorrow and pay/benefits will be discussed and then I can formally choose to accept the offer or not. The phone conversation is not legally binding.
    The order is just really strange. Normally you'd have all this hashed out, and a formal agreement before even scheduling onboarding. Either way, good luck, hope they don't try anything (more) weird.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    I know, but it's non-standard and borderline stupid. It's not an offer until they say what the compensation package is. Why would they make anyone go there and then present something and possibly put pressure expecting an immediate decision. Just doesn't make any sense. Is this a job that you really need or are you prepared to tell them go pound sand if they come up with insulting numbers?
    maybe they have a different definition of onboarding, but that normally occurs after the offer is extended and accepted and they are beginning the process of bring you on as an employee. Filling out paperwork so you can be added to payroll and benefits, creating your user account, provisioning your phone, getting you your equipment, etc.
    Andy

• tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    Out of curiosity, if you don't mind me asking. What kind of company is this?? Size, industry, etc...
    If the position were not right I would walk away. I read here: Job and Salary Negotiation – Hire Mizzou Tigers - University of Missouri
    that once they let you know that they want you for the position you can negotiate. Nothing official has happened but it is possible that it was lost somewhere along the line thinking someone else went over it with me. I should have brought it up sooner ; I just contacted the recruiter but as I mentioned I'm new to all of this. It's way more involved than any interview process I have been through before.

Thanks for all the advice.
    To all reading this my recruiter called me right back after emailing him I got the pay now. It's $32k 2 weeks vacation and I know there's a medical but I'll be sure to look into that tomorrow. I appreciate all the help he apologized and said he should have brought it up. I was very polite to them not saying Hey I don't work for chump change ;) Sadly no tuition reimbursement though.

I think that's fair given my experience of 0 years and I'm still finishing my degree.