Failing GIAC Practice Exams

NovaHaxNovaHax Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
For self-study challengers, i wonder if anyone has ever intentionally bombed their practice tests???

Since you only get the explanation for questions you miss, it may actually make for a better study aid than the minor confidence boost you get from doing well on the exam. Just a thought.

Comments

• Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    I actually like taking the 1st practice exam with minimal usage of my index which allows me to know where my weakest points are. This allows me to tailor my studying and hardcore indexing to those areas, while "touching up" on my average areas like my three star rated subjects. Then I utilize my index more on the 2nd practice test and those results let me know what I really need to zone in on for the real exam. This seems to have worked well for me, my first GIAC exam is scheduled for Tuesday. I'm going to destroy that exam.
  • docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Not speaking as an exam challenger since I always take the classes.

I don't necessarily "sacrifice" my practice exams, but I don't treat them with the same mental intensity as the real ones. I've never used my second practice exam, but the first one is my dry-run where I sort of intentionally rush through it (more through late-night impatience rather than some tactical study method). Doing it this way exposes my weak areas a lot faster and also preps me to slow down a bit because not reading the questions correctly will bite you where it hurts.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • thisisjonthisisjon Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you click on the button ALL on the top right of the practice exam window, you'll get an explanation for all questions regardless if it's right or wrong.

Just my 2 cents!

Jon
  • n8236n8236 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I treat all my practice exams as real as possible. But what I find most valuable are the answers, the format of questions and using all that to polish my index.

The biggest problem I have with the practice exams is how repetitive the 2nd one is. It's literally 60-70% repeats! It's so useless and gives a false sense of security.
  • klevdavklevdav Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It would help if sans would allow you to log back in and go over the questions you missed on the practice test. Just my thoughts.
    klevdav wrote: »
    It would help if sans would allow you to log back in and go over the questions you missed on the practice test. Just my thoughts.

That's exactly why I record down every practice exam.
  • klevdavklevdav Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    how did you manage to recorded all the questions asked during the practice test?
    seeing that you only have 3mins to answer each question.
    I have some reputable training material consisting of 180 questions to help you if you want more practice to take the real test.
    klevdav wrote: »
    how did you manage to recorded all the questions asked during the practice test?
    seeing that you only have 3mins to answer each question.
    I have some reputable training material consisting of 180 questions to help you if you want more practice to take the real test.

When running thru my practice exams, I use either ScreenFlow or hit the keys to screenshot everything. I run a Mac. Don't forget to turn on the option to show you answers, even if you get it right.

Thanks for the offer, but I already passed the exam.