Should I call?

OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
I interviewed for a position last week, they told me I would hear from them early this week. I have yet to hear anything. I emailed them twice and they haven't replied to my e-mail. Should I call or should I say screw it and move on?
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"

Comments

• BubbaJBubbaJ Member Posts: 323
    According to the article, this may be a test:
    Another technique, Shapiro said, might be to ignore you for several days during the interviewing process -- they want to see if you'll send a scathing e-mail, she said.
    http://money.cnn.com/2006/07/19/pf/employee_screening/index.htm?cnn=yes
  • OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    Wha kind of test is that? I don't have time for that, man. If I didn't get the job, at least let me know.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
    Well, if it is a test, that's probably good news. Why would they invest the time in these techniques if they aren't serious about you?
    BubbaJ wrote:
    Well, if it is a test, that's probably good news. Why would they invest the time in these techniques if they aren't serious about you?

Are you saying I should call or wait?
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Remain patient, I'm going through the same process and sometimes they have to talk to other parties in the company to decide. Sometimes urgencies may arise on their side or the deciding managers may caught up in some projects or call in sick.

If you make the assumption that they have not selected you, also make the assumption they have and they will call you. :)
    If you understand the article, they may be baiting you to see if you will lash out. You can, politely, call, but they may not respond until they are sure you are emotionally stable.
  • Badger95Badger95 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would stay patient. The wheels turn slow in some organizations.
    Badger
    _________
    Velle est posse, tempus fugit, vivere disce, Cogita Mori
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You've already contacted them, do no more.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • MunckMunck Member Posts: 150
    As others have mentioned, don't do anything. They're probably negotiating with another candidate at this point. If you're lucky, he won't take the bait, and maybe you're the next best on their list. For now, forget about it and move on. Good luck
  • jpeezy55jpeezy55 Member Posts: 255
    Olajuwon wrote:
    I interviewed for a position last week, they told me I would hear from them early this week. I have yet to hear anything. I emailed them twice and they haven't replied to my e-mail. Should I call or should I say screw it and move on?

I have the same thing going on. I did a phone interview, in fact, I applied for one position and they contacted me about another one that they had open. She said the phone interview would take 10-15 minutes and I was on the phone for 30 with them. When that was done, they said they would be calling people the following week (this was on a Thursday.) Well, the whole next week came and is now ending with no word from them. I did send an e-mail to the lady I spoke with just asking if the position had been filled or if they were still setting up interviews, and I again expressed my interest in working there. I never got a reply or anything. icon_cry.gif

I'm the kind that takes this as a "we don't want to talk to you" answer and am saying forget it and am moving on. I can't imagine them taking that long to call and set up interviews. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
  • 12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    do no more, i also went on an interview awhile back. i sent them a follow up email and never heard from them again. if they want you they will pursue you, that test is a stupid article some writer for cnnmoney thought up just to get people to read a page so cnnmoney could serve up advertising.

icon_twisted.gif
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
    jpeezy55 wrote:
    I have the same thing going on. I did a phone interview, in fact, I applied for one position and they contacted me about another one that they had open. She said the phone interview would take 10-15 minutes and I was on the phone for 30 with them. When that was done, they said they would be calling people the following week (this was on a Thursday.) Well, the whole next week came and is now ending with no word from them. I did send an e-mail to the lady I spoke with just asking if the position had been filled or if they were still setting up interviews, and I again expressed my interest in working there. I never got a reply or anything. icon_cry.gif

I'm the kind that takes this as a "we don't want to talk to you" answer and am saying forget it and am moving on. I can't imagine them taking that long to call and set up interviews. icon_rolleyes.gif

I did 2 interviews with that company that went well in my opinion and they promised me that I'd be contacted. I am taking this as a "go away, we don't want you" answer. I have another interview with another company today for Systems Support Engineer.
    Olajuwon wrote:
    jpeezy55 wrote:

I did 2 interviews with that company that went well in my opinion and they promised me that I'd be contacted. I am taking this as a "go away, we don't want you" answer. I have another interview with another company today for Systems Support Engineer.

Well, I found out that they are offering the job to someone today, so I was right in my assumption that they did not want me...why, I don't know. Would it be rude to call and ask the person who conducted the phone interview just what it was that I said that screwed me over for getting an interview? As far as qualifications and experience goes, I fell right in line with what they were looking for, so it's not that I was not qualified or over-qualified. It had to have been something I said that she didn't like and that was it for me.

Oh well, Monster.com, here I come!!! :P

Also, it's not like I need the work, I have a decent job but am looking for something with more room to advance...here there is none. icon_mad.gif
    Tech Support: "Ok, so your monitor is not working, the screen is blank, and no matter what you do it stays blank? Do you see that button on the bottom right hand side just below the screen? Press it. . . . Great, talk to you next time!"
    jpeezy55 wrote:
    Well, I found out that they are offering the job to someone today, so I was right in my assumption that they did not want me...why, I don't know. Would it be rude to call and ask the person who conducted the phone interview just what it was that I said that screwed me over for getting an interview? As far as qualifications and experience goes, I fell right in line with what they were looking for, so it's not that I was not qualified or over-qualified. It had to have been something I said that she didn't like and that was it for me.

Oh well, Monster.com, here I come!!! :P

Also, it's not like I need the work, I have a decent job but am looking for something with more room to advance...here there is none. icon_mad.gif

That sucks, man. How did you find out? I think it's the same case for me.
    Olajuwon wrote:
    That sucks, man. How did you find out? I think it's the same case for me.

Well, what they didn't know is that a guy I went to Tech School with just started working for them about 5 weeks ago. I e-mailed him when I saw the job posting, and not wanting to feel like I was stepping onto his territory, I got his opinion on applying there. He liked the idea and I took it from there. I e-mailed him yesterday to see if he knew if they hired someone and he checked around and found out that they were offering it to someone today. icon_sad.gif

I didn't ask him to say anything since he just started there and I didn't want him in the middle of anything, so we kept it quiet that I knew him...not that it should matter, we're not related or anything, we just happened to go to school together. Sometimes it's good to have some help on the inside and sometimes it is bad...

Oh well, that just means that there is something better out there for me! Things happen for a reason. :)

The township that I live in (and went to school in) is building a brand new Elementary building and it will have 5 computer labs in it. They are also renovating the High School & Middle School with new labs....there are only 2 people working there now, so I've already been in contact with them and will have to wait another year, but if they are hiring, I will be there waiting! That would give me a drive to work of about 3-5 minutes. I already work in a school district, so it wouldn't be new to me...So, maybe that is where I'm headed, who knows! icon_confused.gif:
    Well, I just got a call back from them stating that they went with another candidate. They probably found someone willing to take less money. After the interviews, I found out that they pay less than I am currently making at my job. I put my current salary on the app. No regret.
  • jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    good for you............
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE