Security jobs in NYC

newjacknewjack Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
So, I am trying to break into a more involved role with security, a role that does assessment on the network and works with policies/compliance/operations/firewalls.

I have worked in Forensics for 8 months and now work as a Support Engineer for a 2 way authentication tool for about 10/11 months, just got my Sec+ and am going to start studying for the SSCP.

I have to say the job market in NYC is extremely competitive, for someone that is trying to break into a role like that. Does anyone have tips? Everything I see is 2 years and CISSP and the kitchen sink of required skills that most senior guys develop, or 10+ years experience.

I have been getting phone calls from recruiters averaging about 2-3 a month and I have had about 3 interviews between June - August, yet I am still skeptical.

NYC Security folks, any input?

Comments

• NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Skepticism in this market is highly advisable! Security is a really hot topic right now and every recruiter under the sun is trying to place people because they command strong salaries and it makes the recruiters big bucks.

That being said, there is also a shift in security right now as well. With things like cloud, big data, virtualization, containers, etc all taking over...most organizations don't have an understanding of what skills to look for so they throw the kitchen sink into a job posting. Additionally, most job postings are built by HR people and new real security folks.

My advice would be to find a company or area that you want to work in and focus hard on those types of companies. What do they do? What vertical are they? What do people on LinkedIn who work there list as their skills? Meetups, networking events, industry conferences are also all very important as well too. NYC is one of those markets where you need the experience or you have to know someone....no way around it unfortunately.

Keeping working on your certs and building up your experience. If you can, even try to carve our a security or niche role within your current organization too!
  • newjacknewjack Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks! I am trying to get into a more involved role with Security at my company... but they move so slow and I get the feeling they want everyone to stay in Support Engineering.
  • 5502george5502george Member Posts: 264
    I agree with you that the security postings for a lot of jobs are ridiculous.

Something along the lines of expert in Java, Pearl, C++, Certification and accreditation, Vulnerability assessment, disaster preparedness, Incident response, Forensics, Network architecture, System configuration etc…
    I my experience in the security field, you have people that have knowledge in these areas, but by no means have I ever meet anyone that was an expert in ALL of these things.
  • newjacknewjack Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    5502george wrote: »
    I agree with you that the security postings for a lot of jobs are ridiculous.

Something along the lines of expert in Java, Pearl, C++, Certification and accreditation, Vulnerability assessment, disaster preparedness, Incident response, Forensics, Network architecture, System configuration etc…
    I my experience in the security field, you have people that have knowledge in these areas, but by no means have I ever meet anyone that was an expert in ALL of these things.

Yeah, I think it's discouraging though, someone like myself trying to break into a more security involved roll I feel very comfortable in Networking/Forensics/Linux/AD and other Windows Services but when it comes to programming languages and scripting, while I understand it, I do not program and if someone asked me a question on it in an interview, I'd probably look at them as if they had 3 heads.

I just guess I have to build up my certs, study, and make use of my home lab to actually put use of some security tools like nexpose, metasploit and some log management tools.
  • j.petrovj.petrov Member Posts: 282
    @newjack. PM me, my company is hiring for a jr security consulting position.