WGU - Capstone and degree complete!

zidianzidian Member Posts: 132
I just got notification from WGU that my Capstone paper was accepted without needing revisions. It was my final class. I needed to be done by 10/6 to be included in the graduation program for WGU Texas. I am sliding in under the deadline just in time.

For anyone going to Houston for Commencement, I'll see you there!

This degree program has definitely taught me quite a bit about myself. Finishing this degree has been the hardest thing I've done, the last two months of the degree were especially taxing. I'm so proud of accomplishing this, yet it feels bittersweet as I look back. The majority of challenges I faced over the last two years were self inflicted, sometimes it's not easy recognizing that.

For all those still in the program, Good Luck! For those already complete, I'm so glad to be joining your ranks.
WGU BS-IT Software | Completed 9/30/2014

Comments

• DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations icon_thumright.gif I am curious about how you would compare the BS-IT: Software program to their new BS in Software development.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congratulations....
  • zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • zidianzidian Member Posts: 132
    I honestly would have preferred the BS in Software Development. However, it wasn't announced until I was down to only need about six classes to graduate. They also weren't accepting existing student transfers, so that pretty much sealed the deal for me. I wasn't willing to wait.

I'm really interested in how some of their courses shape up in that degree program. I would have liked to take Client-Server applications or Mobile Development. I've been doing software development for 6 years now, so it probably doesn't make that much of a difference to me directly. I just really needed the Bachelor's check box marked for both potential jobs and my company bidding my resume for future corporate contracts.
  • colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!!!
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Congrats! Are you headed to Disney Land now? jk. Whats next, or are you going to enjoy your new found freedom and take a sabbatical?
    Next up in the short term will be the Microsoft 70-480 - Programming in HTML5 with JavaScript and CSS3. I want to finish it before the year is up. My work typically offers to pay for a boot camp for similar exams, so I'll be looking in to that.

I haven't decided on a Master's degree or not yet. I'll enjoy the downtime for a little bit before contemplating that.
  • EngRobEngRob Member Posts: 247 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats and enjoy the moment!!

Can't wait till i'm also in the same situation.
  • anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats man I know this must be a great feeling! And you're in Texas like me so that's another good thing!
  • joehalford01joehalford01 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!!! It's a long slog for sure!
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
  • coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats!!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
    zidian wrote: »
    I honestly would have preferred the BS in Software Development. However, it wasn't announced until I was down to only need about six classes to graduate. They also weren't accepting existing student transfers, so that pretty much sealed the deal for me. I wasn't willing to wait.

I'm really interested in how some of their courses shape up in that degree program. I would have liked to take Client-Server applications or Mobile Development. I've been doing software development for 6 years now, so it probably doesn't make that much of a difference to me directly. I just really needed the Bachelor's check box marked for both potential jobs and my company bidding my resume for future corporate contracts.

That was unfortunate that they weren't accepting transfers for those that were already in the BS:IT Software program. I looks like they added client-server, mobile applications, and a modified version of software II for java. Again, congratulations. I am sure that it will open up more opportunities for you.

I guess if you were to ever consider a graduate degree in your field, you options would be MS in software engineering, MS in software management, or MS Computer Science with a concentration on software engineering. It is a shame that WGU has limited graduate degrees for their IT college.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • ZfamilybizZfamilybiz Member Posts: 31 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I am just starting this program on tomorrow.
  • auxiliarypriestauxiliarypriest Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    2020 Goals: [x ] C|HFI [x] CySA+ [x ] MSCSIA
    Connect with me on Linkedin, just say you're from TechExams
    The Software II they offer now is actually a watered down version of the old Software I. The old Software I is the OCPJP 6 exam. A single exam gets you Oracle Certified Professional. Starting with version 7, they split the exam in half because of the abysmal pass rate. Now there is a Oracle Certified Associate exam that tests only on the basics. Then there is an addon Oracle Certified Professional exam that expands into threading and other more advanced concepts. So with the new WGU programs, Software I is the OCA and Software II is the OCP.

The older exams are simply the OCA and OCP combined into a single exam. I'm glad I was able to take the combined exam. I may take the upgrade exam next year to upgrade my OCPJP 6 to a OCPJP 7.
    zidian wrote: »
    The older exams are simply the OCA and OCP combined into a single exam. I'm glad I was able to take the combined exam. I may take the upgrade exam next year to upgrade my OCPJP 6 to a OCPJP 7.

Does that mean that the older exam required you to pass both certifications in order to pass the class?
    The older exam was a single exam on the topics included in both of the new exams. Oracle split the exam because of low pass rates.