I know everyone talks about Resume but....

J_Jones89J_Jones89 Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey TE,

So my question i need help on is i been working in Helpdesk for over a year and ready to go. I have have 3 certs Sec+, MS 70-685, ITLv3. In my personal time I been messing with linux when i have time because of school now. Then i was studying for my ccent but i went back to school for the semester and only have the weekend to do labs. The question i have is if you never have worked at a job with the personal experience you have. How do you show this on a resume or explain this on job apps?

Thanks,
Feed back is appreciated

Comments

• jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not sure how you deal with this in the US, but here in the UK you got a skill section. It doesn't necessarily have to be something you worked in a job.

My skills mention things like

Cisco stuff - base configs, ACLs, blabla

So I might have skills mentioned without having them mentioned under any company I worked for but make it learly what exactly it is I know about.

That however works well only if your skills aren't necessary for the job, if you know what I mean ..

What I mean, let's say I have acquired skills to develop in C++. I never had a job where C++ was a requirement but I developed solutions I mention on the resume / cv.

Now if I'd be trying to apply for a C++ developing role, you may find that you'd be struggling to find a hit unless you do have previous work experience ...
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • J_Jones89J_Jones89 Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok i understand what you mean. Yea because being in the helpdesk im at i don't do alot of the stuff i know at work. I learned on my own just never had the job for the experience
  • geekgirl74geekgirl74 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My resume is split out into the following sections: Qualifications Summary, Employment History, Certifications/Education, and Community Involvement. With this setup, I can lay out my experience and it does not put a specific line item with an employer. This might be a good setup to show your qualifications regardless of who your employer was/is.
  • J_Jones89J_Jones89 Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    geekgirl74 wrote: »
    My resume is split out into the following sections: Qualifications Summary, Employment History, Certifications/Education, and Community Involvement. With this setup, I can lay out my experience and it does not put a specific line item with an employer. This might be a good setup to show your qualifications regardless of who your employer was/is.

I use to have the format for this before i was in IT think i will go back to it thanks GEEKGIRL74