Ok so now to the degree....MBA:ITM or MS:ITA or MS:ITM

First off thanks for the info to get me to this decision. I appreciate all of the feedback.

Now, I am an ISSM. I have about 8 years IT with 5 in INFOSEC. I have an itch to teach at a university someday, but would not mind being in upper management of the government or private sector in the meantime.

Which masters degree would be best for my experience and goals?

WGU:
-MBA in Information Tech Management
-MS Information Security and Assurance
-MS Information Tech Management

Comments

• tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    Don't you usually need a PhD to teach at the university level?

I could be totally wrong, but it's my understanding that you can teach at a community or technical college with an education level of no less than a Masters degree and most 4 year universities require a doctoral degree.
  • 5502george5502george Member Posts: 264
    tkerber wrote: »
    Don't you usually need a PhD to teach at the university level?

I could be totally wrong, but it's my understanding that you can teach at a community or technical college with an education level of no less than a Masters degree and most 4 year universities require a doctoral degree.

You can teach at a university level with a masters. Most will require a doctoral though. I plan on gaining the masters and shooting for the PhD.....someday ;)
  • tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    5502george wrote: »
    You can teach at a university level with a masters. Most will require a doctoral though. I plan on gaining the masters and shooting for the PhD.....someday ;)

Okay, makes sense. Or you could always teach the tech schools too! icon_wink.gif Some of the instructors I had were some of the best mentors I could ever ask for. Some had day jobs in IT and some quit high level positions to pursue their passion for teaching and those instructors really shined.
  • 2230622306 Member Posts: 223 ■■□□□□□□□□
    my goal is to teach in the future as well. i enjoy teaching and helping others understand and succeed.
  • DoyenDoyen Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    5502george wrote: »
    First off thanks for the info to get me to this decision. I appreciate all of the feedback.

Now, I am an ISSM. I have about 8 years IT with 5 in INFOSEC. I have an itch to teach at a university someday, but would not mind being in upper management of the government or private sector in the meantime.

Which masters degree would be best for my experience and goals?

WGU:

What did you eventually decide upon? I am curious about why you made the decision of one program over another.
    Goals for 2016: [] VCP 5.5: ICM (recertifying) , [ ] VMware VCA-NV, [ ] 640-911 DCICN, [ ] 640-916 DCICT, [ ] CCNA: Data Center, [ ] CISSP (Associate), [ ] 300-101 ROUTE, [ ] 300-115 SWITCH, [ ] 300-135 TSHOOT, [ ] CCNP: Route & Switch, [ ] CEHv8, [ ] LX0-103, [ ] LX0-104
    Future Goals: WGU MSISA or Capital Technology Univerisity MSCIS Degree Program
    Click here to connect with me on LinkedIn! Just mention your are from Techexams.net.
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think the more difficult decision would be the MS:ITM vs the MBA: ITM. The MS:ISA is in a category of its own.

Regarding the MS:ITM vs the MBA: ITM, the MS is more specialized and more technical in nature. The MBA is a lot broader and closer to other business school MBA offerings. The curriculum includes accounting, marketing, economics, and financial management. You more than likely won't find many (if any) technical courses in that degree.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Why are you only considering WGU? There are lots of other degrees out there.
  • NersesianNersesian Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sup...

WGU:

I've got the MBA in Tech Management and am currently enrolled in the MS Information Security and Assurance. For me, I powered through the MBA program in one term with the exception of the CapSim. This isn't to say it was an easy program...I mean it could be and I may just be dumb, but I put my head down and powered though it. The CapSim though? That class breaks people. I mean, I enrolled in WGU because I have a difficult time with personal interaction and don't really adapt well to preset schedules. I also have some issues sleeping. All was well until I was forced to work inside a team and resolve problems in a simulated business environment with two nursing students and an accountant. I don't know these people and don't have a vested interest in their goals because you know...I just "met" them and WGU is not setup to forge long term relationships due to its online nature. I didn't enjoy it, but I knew I needed the MBA to move forward with what I want to do in the next ten years, but it did end up taking me almost an entire term to complete. So if you're following along at home, 1 term for the entire program sans CapSim and then 1 term for the project.

I'm just starting the MS IS&A so I'll keep you posted. I anticipate this one taking a little longer since I'm actually interested in the program material. I wouldn't have done the MBA if I had done the MS first, but that's just me and I know how I am. Overall, an ok experience, but just know about the "surprise" at the end.
  • 5502george5502george Member Posts: 264
    I have decided to go for the MS:ISA. The real determining factor is that I like security.

One day while studying for the CISSP I found myself learning about the origination of crypto and how it has progressed into what it is today. After reading material from all kinds of different sources I took a step back and asked myself why? I was just trying to study for the CISSP and I had absolutely no need to dive that far in depth, but I liked it ha ha. At the end of the day my job is a little on the boring side, but I can say that when things go bad....they go way bad! So my goal is to stay sharp, that way when they do go bad, and they always will, I know my arse from my elbow. I enjoy security to the point that I want to learn more. Not just for a degree, but to better my understanding of what is actually going on under the hood.

I really have no interest in learning things associated in the MBA. I am picking the MS:ISA for "NO OTHER REASON" than I would like to learn more about it. I may be making the wrong long term career choice, but I feel that if I get a degree in something I have very little interest in I am the one that ultimately loses. Sorry for the long response! Hope I answered everyone's questions.
  • zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sounds like you are making the correct decision if that is what you are ultimately the most interested in and the direction you want to go career wise.
  • CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    Why are you only considering WGU? There are lots of other degrees out there.

Anything in WGU's price range?
  • aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    MS:ISA here. I'm enjoying my experience so far, and I definitely recommend it for the cost. You'll have an incredibly difficult time finding a degree anywhere near as cheap, especially if you accelerate in your program.

If you're considering the MS: ISA, it would be worth looking at Dakota State University's MS Information Assurance program. It's around 12k I believe which is comparable to WGU if it takes you two years. There are a couple of members here attending DSU.
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,