Resume Critique

Adam BAdam B Member Posts: 108 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I'm hoping some of you all can review my resume and maybe give me some feed back hopefully. I'm currently job searching for network engineer/analyst positions, as my current job, as much as I love it, doesn't utilize my CCNA. Any feedback would be appreciated, thank you all :)

EDIT: The new one is the "Tech Support Assistant.doc" File. The older one is the Woof.pdf. Thanks :)
2015 Goals: CCNP SWITCH [] SEC+ [ ] CCNP ROUTE [ ] CCNP TSHOOT [ ]

Comments

• snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    One thing I see alot is people putting a bunch of keywords under the technical skills section. Make sure you are really familiar with everything there, I cant tell you how many interviews I have sat in on and someone listed a skill they had idea what it was.
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The first thing that comes to mind is the formatting. Everything is justified to the center of the page and is extremely difficult to read.

Please refer to this thread for a properly formatted and written resume: (His resume is often considered the golden standard on these forums)

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/91333-resume-time.html
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Adam BAdam B Member Posts: 108 ■■□□□□□□□□
    snunez889 wrote: »
    One thing I see alot is people putting a bunch of keywords under the technical skills section. Make sure you are really familiar with everything there, I cant tell you how many interviews I have sat in on and someone listed a skill they had idea what it was.

I do know the technologies, I study every day, and I look on techexams everyday, just don't post everyday :P. Thanks for the feedback guys keep em comin

srabiee wrote: »
    The first thing that comes to mind is the formatting. Everything is justified to the center of the page and is extremely difficult to read.

Please refer to this thread for a properly formatted and written resume: (His resume is often considered the golden standard on these forums)

Thank you

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    +1 on formatting. Needs some TLC. Other issues:

- There's a plethora of bad capitalization: "3d", "ubiquity", "FireFox" etc.
    - Either single or double space. The mix kills my eyes
    - "Troubleshooted" sounds awful
    - typo: "aswell as well as one server"
    - this one is hilarious: Met various "deadlines"
    I recommend you re-do your resume using a properly formatted template (like the one I linked you to), and then upload the new version. That would be an excellent start, and then you can go from there regarding tweaking it to the final version.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
    I recommend you re-do your resume using a properly formatted template (like the one I linked you to), and then upload the new version. That would be an excellent start, and then you can go from there regarding tweaking it to the final version.

Sounds good thanks srabiee.

cyberguypr wrote: »
    +1 on formatting. Needs some TLC. Other issues:

- There's a plethora of bad capitalization: "3d", "ubiquity", "FireFox" etc.
    - Either single or double space. The mix kills my eyes
    - "Troubleshooted" sounds awful
    - typo: "aswell as well as one server"
    - this one is hilarious: Met various "deadlines"

Not going to lie, I re-read my resume and figured the "various deadlines" sounded so bad and I still decided to post the resume just to see what you guys thought. I'll fix it up and then re-post it back. Thanks for the much needed constructive criticism guys. Thanks for the feedback. I'll repost my resume tomorrow time permitting. :)

I have been working on my resume this morning since one of my classes got canceled. Tell me what you all think, I'm sure it's not perfect so constructive criticism is appreciated. Thanks guys icon_thumright.gif

Bumpppp

Gotta run but seems to me like too much fluff. This needs to be a one page resume. And please take Adam out of the professional summary. I don't see the stuff recommended above implemented.
    Gotta run but seems to me like too much fluff. This needs to be a one page resume. And please take Adam out of the professional summary. I don't see the stuff recommended above implemented.

Thanks cyber, will do, Adam shall be taken out, it does sound fairly repetitive. One page; I can do that, it is currently two pages because of how I spaced out my technical skills section to have similar technologies grouped together. Do you think you can elaborate on the "too much fluff"? Is it simply because it's two pages that made you think that considering you were in a rush, correct me if I'm wrong.

Also what did I not implement that was already recommended, as I thought I followed yours as well as srabiee's advice.

Thanks once again for assisting me with this, I know you guys don't have to which is why it truly means a lot icon_lol.gif

• Dallas1981Dallas1981 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□

Could you send me that template link also srabiee? please and thank you
    OK. I'm home now.

- "Assist the Director of Technology in the implementing, documenting" sounds weird. Perhaps "Assist the D o T with implementation, documentation..."
    - "...MacBook’s, HP/Dell Laptops, ect" - should be "etc."
    - I'm still having issues with your capitalization. Example: "Wiring Closet". Was that the proper noun of the closet?
    - GameStop gig - are you still there? Verbs are all in past tense.
    - Technical Skills are still double spaced. Also, what is the purpose of listing so much stuff? This is what I mean by fluff. In my 15 years of IT experience I've seen what snunez889 mentioned above. Many candidates can't speak authoritatively on most of the stuff they laundry-list. Are all those term stuff you have strong experience with? If not, you need to reevaluate the purpose they serve on the resume. See the resume srabiee pointed you to. It has ZERO fluff words. Every technology name is used in the context of a bigger picture with an achievement attached to it. It's just beautiful.
    - "Acquainted with SolarWinds TFTP Server" - what does this mean? You've seen it, installed it, managed it, read about it? Specifics will get you noticed.
    - There's a weird preceding space in the "ARP, RARP bullet.
    - Certifications - also presented in a weird way. The preferred way here on TEchExams is to list in-progress certs only if you are more than 50% into your studies and you have a concrete date when you expect to obtain it. They way you present it now makes me say "WHAT?!?!?!"
    - Opinions may vary but I wouldn't even mention high school. If you did some Cisco stuff there you need to find another way to present it.

So to sum up, based on your limited experience your resume should be only one page. Your laundry list of technologies needs to be slimmed down and must include some context. The words by themselves are not helping you. If you come across a guy like me I would grill you on everything you list just to convey the point.

See here for more: https://careercenter.depaul.edu/_documents/resume_packet.pdf
    Dallas1981 wrote: »
    Could you send me that template link also srabiee? please and thank you

The "template" is a resume in .doc format that a forum member posted in this thread:

• Dallas1981Dallas1981 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The "template" is a resume in .doc format that a forum member posted in this thread:

ok thanks
    OK. I'm home now.

- "Assist the Director of Technology in the implementing, documenting" sounds weird. Perhaps "Assist the D o T with implementation, documentation..."
    - "...MacBook’s, HP/Dell Laptops, ect" - should be "etc."
    - I'm still having issues with your capitalization. Example: "Wiring Closet". Was that the proper noun of the closet?
    - GameStop gig - are you still there? Verbs are all in past tense.
    - Technical Skills are still double spaced. Also, what is the purpose of listing so much stuff? This is what I mean by fluff. In my 15 years of IT experience I've seen what snunez889 mentioned above. Many candidates can't speak authoritatively on most of the stuff they laundry-list. Are all those term stuff you have strong experience with? If not, you need to reevaluate the purpose they serve on the resume. See the resume srabiee pointed you to. It has ZERO fluff words. Every technology name is used in the context of a bigger picture with an achievement attached to it. It's just beautiful.
    - "Acquainted with SolarWinds TFTP Server" - what does this mean? You've seen it, installed it, managed it, read about it? Specifics will get you noticed.
    - There's a weird preceding space in the "ARP, RARP bullet.
    - Certifications - also presented in a weird way. The preferred way here on TEchExams is to list in-progress certs only if you are more than 50% into your studies and you have a concrete date when you expect to obtain it. They way you present it now makes me say "WHAT?!?!?!"
    - Opinions may vary but I wouldn't even mention high school. If you did some Cisco stuff there you need to find another way to present it.

So to sum up, based on your limited experience your resume should be only one page. Your laundry list of technologies needs to be slimmed down and must include some context. The words by themselves are not helping you. If you come across a guy like me I would grill you on everything you list just to convey the point.

See here for more: https://careercenter.depaul.edu/_documents/resume_packet.pdf

Good points cyber; although I do know those technologies and can explain them. I have a lab at home of 2 1841's and 3 2950's and regularly watch videos. As far as experience, since I'm only 18 should I still list the tech skills seeing as the only experience I've had was via me completing my CCNA through labbing, labbing at my highschool on the equipment + packet tracer ect. And the dates I put for the certs was to specify when I first got the cert and when its gonna expire; I'll try to revise that up and make it more clear. Thanks :)