CCNP or VCP5-DCV?

uneeqstylezzuneeqstylezz Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am kind of in the process of studying for both but it is starting to really not be feasible. So I am trying to eliminate one for now. What would you guys say be the most beneficial (Im in more of a network engineering role right now). Although I am also in the process of attempting to pitch out the virtualization infrastructure to upper management as well (so no guarantee if I will get to work with vsphere).

Comments

• JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Since you're already working in the networking environment, I would say go for CCNP. If you then get the chance to work with vSphere then go for it.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    In order to get the VCP5-DCV certification you have to take a VMware approved course. Do you already have plans to satisfy that requirement?
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • uneeqstylezzuneeqstylezz Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So I have already taken the vmware approved class. but considering that it is not a for sure that in our company we will actually move to that environment, i am not sure i want to focus on it. rather, i believe ccnp would definitely open up more doors for me?
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Probably. You also have to renew your VCP certification every 2 years or get a VCAP level certification. If you are not using the technology on a regular basis then that will be difficult to maintain and likely not worth your time.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • thatguy67thatguy67 Member Posts: 344 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Does anyone know if you only have to take the VMWare-approved course once? For example, if I took the vSphere 5.0 class, will that always be on my VMWare record? If I fail the VCP5 exam, will I be able to retake it without retaking the course?
    2017 Goals: []PCNSE7 []CCNP:Security []CCNP:R&S []LCDE []WCNA
    im not really sure about that.
  • tomtom1tomtom1 Member Posts: 375
    Yes that is correct. Once a new version of vSphere comes out, current VCP holders get a grace period to upgrade using only the written exam. Once they pass the written exam within the available period, they are certified on the new version of vSphere. If they do not upgrade during this time, they need to resatisfy the course requirement on the new version, and pass the written exam.

As for the VCP vs CCNP, as a holder of both: I'd say, why not both?
    tomtom1 wrote: »

yes i will like to do both. but i was looking at which one to focus on first since they are both quite intensive. did you complete them both simultaneously?
  • CiaranpCiaranp Member Posts: 7 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tomtom1 wrote: »
    Yes that is correct. Once a new version of vSphere comes out, current VCP holders get a grace period to upgrade using only the written exam. Once they pass the written exam within the available period, they are certified on the new version of vSphere. If they do not upgrade during this time, they need to resatisfy the course requirement on the new version, and pass the written exam.

Any idea how long this is (approx) ?