I just got fired and I'm panicking

Dallas1981Dallas1981 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I new to this board... But I thought I'd make a post. I've been in the Help Desk and Desk Support for 4 years now and I was laid off. I'm panicking because I have no Certifications at this point but I have Experience. I've applied for at least 15 jobs and there hasn't been any response. I'm studying icon_study.gif for a few Certifications and will test in Nov/Dec. I know I should plan ahead but at this point I need a job. It's only been 2 weeks but I feel myself getting more and more depressed. Any suggestions would greatly appreciated. I'm in Dallas, Texas area btw.

Comments

• shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    post your resume will be a first start
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • 5502george5502george Member Posts: 264
    Dallas1981 wrote: »
    I new to this board... But I thought I'd make a post. I've been in the Help Desk and Desk Support for 4 years now and I was laid off. I'm panicking because I have no Certifications at this point but I have Experience. I've applied for at least 15 jobs and there hasn't been any response. I'm studying icon_study.gif for a few Certifications and will test in Nov/Dec. I know I should plan ahead but at this point I need a job. It's only been 2 weeks but I feel myself getting more and more depressed. Any suggestions would greatly appreciated. I'm in Dallas, Texas area btw.

If I was in your shoes I would apply to a few places I would not mind working. I would submit an online application, then show up in person and talk with a manager. I know that this is not the best practice for some situations, but this is just what I would do.

Stay happy and you will find something!

Best of luck to you, if you need more help in resume writing let me know.
  • Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    Getting fired and being laid off are two very different terms.

Well lll with your experience you wouldn't need entry level certs, you could go for more advance certs but jut keep applying. Also, try to connect to recruiters on linkedin if you have that. Goodluck.
  • srjsrj Member Posts: 58 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Certifications are one way or planning ahead, but another is making sure that you have an adequate emergency fund for cases such as these. I hope that you do! If you do not and you need a job immediately, then you might consider calling a few temp agencies. My current position actually came from a temp agency. Call up people you know in the field. Hopefully you were networking all along as well.

Keep trying and you'll find something soon!
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There are a ton of jobs in Dallas, and you have a decent amount of experience under your belt. Polish your resume and be aggressive in your job search. Upload your resume to as many online job search sites as possible. I'm sure you will find something soon, especially in that area.

Upload your resume to Techexams if you need assistance.

Good luck!
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Dallas1981Dallas1981 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanks for feedback... I will upload my resume to the resume thread soon. I can only hope for the best at this point.
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Justin- wrote: »
    Getting fired and being laid off are two very different terms.

Well lll with your experience you wouldn't need entry level certs, you could go for more advance certs but jut keep applying. Also, try to connect to recruiters on linkedin if you have that. Goodluck.

yeah, there's a huge difference between fired & laid off. First things first, did you you apply for UI? its not much, but at least its something.

Secondly, i would hold off on testing for certs, or at least unnecessary ones, right now, as you need a job, and i'm assuming you don't want to spend whatever amount of moolah you have saved up on unnecessary things.

thirdly, you might not be getting callbacks due to the way your resume is worded/structured. Other factors might be how your job apps looks(especially the ones you need to fill in info, or submit cover letters for)....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    You were not fired from what it sounds like... and don't panic. I would suggest to give yourself a couple of days then start over again. Your mind will be more clear in 48 hours then it is now since you are in a "stressful mode of thinking". Trust me... been in your shoes.

As far as your experience, that totally trumps certs. When I was first laid off in 2003, I had same type of experience as you and no certs. It was my experience and my resume that got me the next job. Turned out my next job would be the one that would really round out my resume and skills for the rest of my career. You may look back at this day and say it was the turning point of your career.

Don't worry. And best of luck!
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.
  • MeanDrunkR2D2MeanDrunkR2D2 Member Posts: 899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Definitely reach out to recruiters in your area, and trust me, the IT market in DFW is very hot. I recently left the area, but not because of having difficulties with my job, but the opportunities were out there and I'm still contacted weekly by DFW recruiters with positions that they need filled. Now, the hard part comes down to finding the jobs and the competition that you will encounter for those positions. When I was there, I had no issues getting interviews, but because I'm more SR, they tended to want to pay less than I was willing to take to change jobs in a lateral move. Get a list of the companies that are nearby you and see what they have to offer. Verizon/Terremark is always hiring IT folks and are located in Grapevine. Honestly, the best thing for you is to network on linked in to several recruiters in your area and check the job boards. There is LOTS of potential out there.
  • NersesianNersesian Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Take it for what its worth, I've had success by taking the shotgun approach and applying to anything you're remotely qualified for. Expand what you think you're willing to do, where you're willing to do it and treat the job search like its your new job. Not everything has to be absolutely perfect, because not being able to pay your bills sucks way more than having a not so great gig while you continue to look.

Another thing I don't get alot of is follow up. Call the company, get in touch with the HR Manager and let them know you want to come work for them. It helped me to maintain a spreadsheet of all the places I applied to, their phone number, point of contact and when I last pinged them. It sucks, but if you put in the hours, your resume is on point and you're not hung up on what you think is ideal, you'll be able to find something in short order.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Try not to get depressed. It is one of the reasons people become unemployable after long stretches of unemployment. They can't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I would suggest exercising. It might not sound like the best career advice but trust me you don't want to sit on the couch for six months collecting unemployment and then start figuring things out.

Certs are a great idea but not necessarily to get you your next job. More to keep you interested and learning about the technology. Your next job will probably reflect your current skill set but studying will help your confidence in interviews.

Good Luck!
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Apply for unemployment while you are looking. That's what it is there for.

If I didn't have a lot of funds or needed cash right away, I'd start applying at tons of places (grocery stores, Target, security guard, etc). Then just work there until you find an IT job. You don't even have to put it on your resume.
    Thanks. Hopefully calls will start picking up soon
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    Try not to get depressed. It is one of the reasons people become unemployable after long stretches of unemployment. They can't see the light at the end of the tunnel.

I would suggest exercising. It might not sound like the best career advice but trust me you don't want to sit on the couch for six months collecting unemployment and then start figuring things out.

Certs are a great idea but not necessarily to get you your next job. More to keep you interested and learning about the technology. Your next job will probably reflect your current skill set but studying will help your confidence in interviews.

Good Luck!

Thanks. It's more like 3 months of employment... lol. but anything helps.
    markulous wrote: »
    Apply for unemployment while you are looking. That's what it is there for.

If I didn't have a lot of funds or needed cash right away, I'd start applying at tons of places (grocery stores, Target, security guard, etc). Then just work there until you find an IT job. You don't even have to put it on your resume.

Thanks. I'm seeking jobs in IT only at this moment but hopefully my employment will be approved.
  • 100k100k Member Posts: 196
    I have been in similar situations don't freak you will make it through. The advice given here is spot on. Polish that resume and apply everywhere. Use all the resources available. Indeed, Linkedin, Craigslist, Simplyhired, Monster, Careerbuilder, Dice, Google, Sologig, ect. Just make sure your resume is good before you start spamming it everywhere.

Goodluck!
  • MagnumOpusMagnumOpus Member Posts: 107
    Tooooo many job ops here in the DFW area. I suggest you submit your resume to a recruiter as previously stated. GM Financial, and Verizon are both hiring for helpdesk positions. I was contacted by GM and Verizon recently for an interview and had to turn it down, (I signed on with Jason's Deli Corp) so I know they are both actively hiring. icon_wink.gif GL luck man and keep us posted!
    I sent you a PM about a job opportunity that I was sent in the DFW area.
    I sent you a PM about a job opportunity that I was sent in the DFW area.

Thanks so much...
  • 100k100k Member Posts: 196
    We have such a great community here at TE. So happy I joined.
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    I hope luck to follow you soon and get you a good job!

I learned my lesson throughout my career is to study as much knowledge I can absorb, and to earn as many certification as I can during "peace" time, so when rough water hits the shore, I won't be as panicky as I would have if I haven't gotten any or up-to-date certs.

All the best to your job search! icon_thumright.gif
  • MagnumOpusMagnumOpus Member Posts: 107
    100k wrote: »
    We have such a great community here at TE. So happy I joined.

Amen. The TE community has helped accelerate my career in so many ways. Welcome aboard!
  • stylezunknownstylezunknown Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • I agree with the other posters; exercise and try to establish some form of routine (preferably one that mirrors a regular work schedule). Best of luck in your search!
    Update:

I started working about a week ago. I m working through a temp company. The pay is low and have to pay for 3 Tollways to get there and back. No benefits but I'm not complaining and I'm hoping I can get a full time gig with benefits soon. I can honestly say I'm not a fan of temp companies. My recruiter lied and told me this was a temp to perm but its not. The employees there who are temps have been there 4-5 years. My previous employer decided to fight my employment case. So who knows if I'll see the 3-4 weeks of employment checks. I still love IT and I'm not complaining but I'm still down and feeling a little low. I'm still applying and most of the calls are from recruiters.

Thanks for all the kind words.
    Update:

I started working about a week ago. I m working through a temp company. The pay is low and have to pay for 3 Tollways to get there and back. No benefits but I'm not complaining and I'm hoping I can get a full time gig with benefits soon. I can honestly say I'm not a fan of temp companies. My recruiter lied and told me this was a temp to perm but its not. The employees there who are temps have been there 4-5 years. My previous employer decided to fight my employment case. So who knows if I'll see the 3-4 weeks of employment checks. I still love IT and I'm not complaining but I'm still down and feeling a little low. I'm still applying and most of the calls are from recruiters.

Thanks for all the kind words.

That's the joys of contract work. I'm in a similar position as I was told my current role was contract to hire, however it's not. It's an open ended contract with the potential to MAYBE go perm, but with discussions with my supervisor here, that could be 2 years down the road depending on what full time roles they get approved. There are 4 members on my team, and 3 are contractors. (The 4th has been here a year and just went permanent) The downside is that I'm the last of the 3 contractors who started here and no matter how hard I work, one will have an advantage over me because he's been here longer and has family members that work for the company so I know that I'm stuck waiting longer.

Also, another recruiter that I've been in contact with is hesitant to get me submitted for other positions because of her relationship with this company and it's a big money maker for them in other areas of the state and they don't want to lose that contract with them. I'm not an employee of theirs, but another company. So I'm still looking for a permanent position or one that would be written into a contract that it is a contract to hire after a certain time period. I'm tired of these damn games that recruiters and companies play, but it's the nature of the beast. Many companies are willing to contract out so they save on benefits and if a person isn't a good fit it's easy for them to get rid of them. My biggest problem is finding reasons to leave work for interviews as often as I have them and try to schedule my work time so I can not miss as much time as possible.
    Wow you took the words right out of mouth! I always debate on asking my manager if I can leave work (for interviews). I so much better taking a job with benefits, sick time, and all of the nice stuff that comes with a full time job. I love this job but there are more cons than there are pros.. There's zero chance I can go perm here. Hopefully our luck changes soon. icon_cheers.gif

That's the joys of contract work. I'm in a similar position as I was told my current role was contract to hire, however it's not. It's an open ended contract with the potential to MAYBE go perm, but with discussions with my supervisor here, that could be 2 years down the road depending on what full time roles they get approved. There are 4 members on my team, and 3 are contractors. (The 4th has been here a year and just went permanent) The downside is that I'm the last of the 3 contractors who started here and no matter how hard I work, one will have an advantage over me because he's been here longer and has family members that work for the company so I know that I'm stuck waiting longer.

Also, another recruiter that I've been in contact with is hesitant to get me submitted for other positions because of her relationship with this company and it's a big money maker for them in other areas of the state and they don't want to lose that contract with them. I'm not an employee of theirs, but another company. So I'm still looking for a permanent position or one that would be written into a contract that it is a contract to hire after a certain time period. I'm tired of these damn games that recruiters and companies play, but it's the nature of the beast. Many companies are willing to contract out so they save on benefits and if a person isn't a good fit it's easy for them to get rid of them. My biggest problem is finding reasons to leave work for interviews as often as I have them and try to schedule my work time so I can not miss as much time as possible.
    Wow you took the words right out of mouth! I always debate on asking my manager if I can leave work (for interviews). I so much better taking a job with benefits, sick time, and all of the nice stuff that comes with a full time job. I love this job but there are more cons than there are pros.. There's zero chance I can go perm here. Hopefully our luck changes soon. icon_cheers.gif

Well, for me, I am hoping on one position that I really want, however they have a hiring freeze until the end of this month. I went in for a couple of interviews with them (including one with the new CIO of the company) and they are completely restructuring their IT department and they even told me that they all really liked me and want to bring me aboard once they have approval from the owners of the company to hire me. I like the fact that they really want to branch me out to learn new technologies and really get me involved with SQL and to be their expert. I have very limited database experience beyond basic maintenance but they see my desire to really grow with a company and to move up and forward in my career.

In my current role, it's honestly very boring and the only thing I like are the people I work with.. The work load is very low and are days we don't even get a ticket in to work on.. And I just found out in the past 15 minutes that another contractor has been hired to help us out which makes me wonder why they are doing that when there is not alot of work to go around other than the occasional project here and there.