RDP question (Dual Monitors)

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
RDP questions - if I have a VM desktop built out, how can I get it to show dual monitors. The VM hosted on a server so I am not sure what I would need to request to get dual screen access for my VM session. It's not recognizing a second monitor when I go into the properties on the VM. However I do have dual screens on my local machine. Is there a setting the hosting company has to change on my VM session? In my RDP shortcut I configured to use both monitors. Thoughts?

Comments

• lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    In the RDP connection screen, click on the 'Display' tab then check 'Use all my monitors for the remote session'

icon_cheers.gif
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Did that no dice. Even recreated the session still no dice. I think it has to do with the host system.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Open Remote Desktop Connection > "Show options" > set your connection info like computer & username > Save As > place shortcut on desktop
    Right click on Desktop > New > Shortcut > Enter: mstcs /span "C:\Users\Administrator\Desktop\savedfile.rdp" > Next > Name it < Finish

Now just click on the new shortcut. You will need to keep both files.

Edit: Multi monitor support is only available for Win7/Server 2008 R2 or newer OSes
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    DOH!

Try iBrokeIT's suggestion with the /span switch, that was going to be my follow up.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks a lot guys! I'll check it out later on.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    You could always make a RDP shortcut and then open the shortcut in notepad. It's been a few months but I do believe you can modify the config file to your needs.

A quick Google search will tell you what each line does.

;)