CCNA Security is this worth pursuing

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior MemberPosts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey Forum,

This is just a simple question in regards to the CCNA Security certification (short and sweet). For anyone who has this certification, is it worth pursuing? I haven't seen an update for this exam in a while. However, with the new CCNA/CCNP exam changes, I am assuming it is just a matter of time along with changes to Voice and Wireless. Is it worth the money to sit for the exam or just worth it to read the material and gain the knowledge. Thanks forum!!

Comments

• omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    there are two ways your knowledge will be evaluated. Either you have enough work experience with cisco ASAs of if you have CCNA/CCNP Security...Besides those two, nobody knows if you really know the materials or not. Ask yourself what would you think if a candidate tells you in interview that he has Cisco security knowledge but can't prove it to you right then & there?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I was just wondering in regards to a rate of return. I am finding this material to be quite interesting to study and obtain the certification and the knowledge. I am just not sure if the exam price+ study materials would be worth while to obtain the certification. I got Chris Bryant's videos for $10 and picked up a book for $20 dollars. As every job is different in regards to what they look for qualifications and knowledge wise. Also are you refering to the fact if someone was applying to a network security engineer position etc.? Also, just out of curiosity, what do most positions for network engineer/admin positions typically include (please don't say google it) I am looking for professional advice and experience. Do they have you sit behind a live rack and say, "fix the issue" or is it more theory based? I am graduating from college soon and just a bit concerned in regards to the application process for jobs in networking.
  • pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    I haven't been to an interview where they had me go through a live rack. I'm sure there are some out there that do it, but from my experience it's always been a marker and a whiteboard. From your certs list, it looks like you don't have CCNA R&S. Focus on that first before worrying about other tracks.
    I work for Dell. One thing bout Dell is they are all bout certs. Every company will train you no matter what after you get hired but they want to see that you possess the proper knowledge to utilize the training materials & equipments before they hire you. Plus, Cisco certs are not that expensive compare to CompTIA certs & they are held highly valuable in the IT industry. One thing for sure, any Cisco books & gears you buy will always be used thru out the rest of your career even they are for lab purpose. And also, get your CCNA(R&S) first before going for the Security or any other Cisco certs. Microsoft certs will get you a high tier support position but Cisco certs will get you the real job & more money if you play the game right. Good luck. FYI, always buy Cisco Press Books for any Cisco certs.

I was just wondering in regards to a rate of return. I am finding this material to be quite interesting to study and obtain the certification and the knowledge. I am just not sure if the exam price+ study materials would be worth while to obtain the certification. I got Chris Bryant's videos for $10 and picked up a book for $20 dollars. As every job is different in regards to what they look for qualifications and knowledge wise. Also are you refering to the fact if someone was applying to a network security engineer position etc.? Also, just out of curiosity, what do most positions for network engineer/admin positions typically include (please don't say google it) I am looking for professional advice and experience. Do they have you sit behind a live rack and say, "fix the issue" or is it more theory based? I am graduating from college soon and just a bit concerned in regards to the application process for jobs in networking.
  • kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    Would hope so...
    I have ASA experience but limited. I'm aiming for network security Eng and I got this cert on my plans.
    meh
    Good to hear omi I personally enjoy doing certifications over my college classes. It's good to see that Dell is all about certs. I do have a lab that I am working on for my CCENT/CCNA (see lab pics on profile) I do however find the Cisco press books for the CCENT/CCNA to be boring only because my degree is in IT with a focus on networking and security and my classes covered a lot of these topics in class (just not as much on EIGRP, HDLC and the Cisco proprietary stuff) I am finding the CCNA in 60 days a good book to go through. It's more along my pace and skips the basic what are these networking devices and more on configs. My reason for asking about the CCNA security is because I am seeing that the CCENT is the only pre-req for the exam (verified this also) and just was something I wanted to look into. I'm trying to stray from CompTIA and more vendor specific since I am graduating in May. I would like to ultimately become a network engineer and I have heard that this cert alone can do it (obviously every business is different and experience plays a part) I am just saying in regards to open the door to this career end goal. Also, (sorry for the long rant)
    one thing I can ell you bout cisco cert tests, no matter how much you think you may know, lot of people fails casue almost everyone may be able to configure a router or switch but no one remembers the nitty gritty details behind the protocols & numbers which very often prevails in the tests. Good luck buddy.
    I came close to passing it once before (815) 200-120 just screwed up on a frame relay and STP question.
  • Concerned WaterConcerned Water Member Posts: 338 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This certification can fill requirements for DoD jobs. Even if you don't go for a DoD job, I believe most managers will give it some respect. At some point in networking your going to have to use security features.
    :study:Reading: CCNP Route FLG, Routing TCP/IP Vol. 1
    SWITCH [x] ROUTE [ ] TSHOOT [ ] VCP6-NV [ ]
  • broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you should after going through and mastering CCNA. You'll learn more applicable security and design concepts from the routing and switching path. To be a great security engineer I think you need to be fundamentally strong in routing, switching, and design. Do that first then move on to the security specific pathways.

Trust me, you will thank me later for this.
    That is the plan Broli720. I am actively pursuing my CCENT/CCNA now with a few CompTIA certs in between (resume fillers mostly but still good knowledge).
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CCNA security topics help towards CCIE R&S, in case you think about it one day..