I lost my drive to get more certifications

OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
Since I already booked the CWNA, I will take it. But I don't think I want to get any more certs. If my future employers want me to get certified in a product, I will. I won't pursue them on my own anymore . icon_sad.gif
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"

Comments

• SpurSpur Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cheer up mate! Ever considered Cisco?
  • rockstar81rockstar81 Member Posts: 151
    there is nothing wrong with your choice mate. At this moment in time thats the way you feel. You have a great line up of certs already, I say enjoy your work, enjoy your knowledge and if the time comes in the future when you feel like you want to add some more then do it.
  • OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    Spur wrote:
    Cheer up mate! Ever considered Cisco?

I have. I feel the same way about all vendors right now.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    I see it the way rockstar sees it........enjoy your work and get some experience.........you have a nice line-up of certs.........hope you have good paying job with those certs
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am with you! My last cert was in October last year. No more until I need or have to. Done enough exams for now and don't have the motivation to do any more.
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A while ago I felt the same way. My last exam was in December '04 and that was because I had to obtain the CCEA. Now that i'm getting ready to start taking more exams, I feel like i'm behind and need to catch up. I would suggest taking 2-4 exams year.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It happens dude. I got depressed with missing Sec+ and have not finished my MCSA. I'm gonna pick up the books and do 218 shortly to get that but I guess that will be it for a while. I guess due to my age and my job I am more interested in keeping up with the technology than getting more certs.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    RussS wrote:
    It happens dude. I got depressed with missing Sec+ and have not finished my MCSA. I'm gonna pick up the books and do 218 shortly to get that but I guess that will be it for a while. I guess due to my age and my job I am more interested in keeping up with the technology than getting more certs.
    I need some more motivation to get working on my 70-218 for MCSA. Wanna race? :)
    No one loses, but first one certified gets to buy a latte at Starbucks on the other guy's tab next time were both in the same country! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cool.gif
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • 12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    Never stop, take time off to relax, but never stop. You have to stay hungry to stay competitive. Go back and get another degree if you don't want more certs, but don't ever let up. Keep filling your brain with anything you can get your hands on. I like certs because I have something to show for it. Learning without certs is ok too, but certs have helped me more than hurt. Don't stop man!!!!!! icon_exclaim.gif
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    I'm getting weary too. Debating if I should go for ISA 2004 or wait a couple of months. Will be studying SCP starting Aug 7 for 2 weeks.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    I've lost some drive to get more certs as well... I'm pretty much blaming it on summer... I don't want to work then come home and read, I want to enjoy some of the summer!

Anyway, after just passing the 70-270 I feel a little bit better and will start studying for my next MS cert in a couple weeks... I do need a small break.
    sprkymrk wrote:
    I need some more motivation to get working on my 70-218 for MCSA. Wanna race? :)
    No one loses, but first one certified gets to buy a latte at Starbucks on the other guy's tab next time were both in the same country! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cool.gif

Once I can get myself sorted with some extracurricular stuff (mountainbike related) you are on icon_wink.gif
    www.supercross.com
    RussS wrote:
    sprkymrk wrote:

Once I can get myself sorted with some extracurricular stuff (mountainbike related) you are on icon_wink.gif
    Cool - but I think I have a slight head start - read a couple chapters in MS Press Training Kit and have been watching a few CBTNuggets - so I'll spot you a couple of days or maybe a week. Hey, can't you just order some audio training cd's from PrepLogic and wear an MP3 player while you race your mountain bike? icon_lol.gif
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    That could be dangerous! He might careen into a tree as he loses focus to a discussion about GPOs!
    Danman32 wrote:
    That could be dangerous! He might careen into a tree as he loses focus to a discussion about GPOs!

I do enough of the tree stuff without distractions ... LMAO
    Actually I am trail building at the moment - swinging a shovel most weekends while we get sorted before summer arrives.
    www.supercross.com
    RussS wrote:
    Actually I am trail building at the moment - swinging a shovel most weekends while we get sorted before summer arrives.
    Wow, here in South Carolina we have had a couple of months of summer already with at least one more to go. It's been in the 90's for several weeks with a few cooler 85-87 days in between. icon_cry.gif
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    RussS wrote:
    Danman32 wrote:

I do enough of the tree stuff without distractions ... LMAO

When exactly does summer arrive in NZ? I've been dying in this 100+ temp the past two weeks. Especially since my wife drives the car with air conditioning. I get the truck so I'm not so fortunate icon_lol.gif
    TeKniques wrote:
    When exactly does summer arrive in NZ? I've been dying in this 100+ temp the past two weeks. Especially since my wife drives the car with air conditioning. I get the truck so I'm not so fortunate icon_lol.gif
    Opposite to the USA ..... is about to be spring here.
    www.supercross.com
  • gomonngomonn Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Seems to me that u r doing something very unusual..... Just got into it, but it can be like an addiction.... wish I can get to that place someday ......
    Since u have all these cert, u can do it ! Take it easy man, enjoy ur life icon_lol.gif
    Working on MCSA and CCNA
  • bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    oh I man...I can totally understand how you feel.
    I'm a student in my last year of B.Sc in Computer Science & Management Science.

I started with A+ in Sept 05. And I'm working towards MCDST....I dont know how people can manage to get their MCSE in like 4-5 months....it took me 3 to get my A+.

But cheer up, I'm hoping your company pays for some of the exams? consider it a way of keeping your current job? Or a hope to find a new and better one.

Cheers,
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • W31RD0W31RD0 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sounds to me like you guys stressed yourselfs out too much with attaining certs. Just keep learning at your own pace for now. It wont matter too much that you didnt get a cert this year since you seem to have plenty. The worse thing that could happen is if you get a distaste from learning due to pushing yourself too hard.
    Currently Working on my MCSA and the messaging and security specializations.
    70-270: Passed