Job Interview

aidan80aidan80 Member Posts: 147 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was recently asked to meet a coworker from another agency for "lunch" which turned out to be an attempt to recruit me to work for said agency. While I explored what was on offer I requested a higher (+25% over what I get now plus bonus) starting salary and the ability to move up in the other organisation as positions open. The unofficial interviewer sent a a few texts back and forth to someone on his side then informed me the position had been pulled (off the website) and someone would be in contact. About an hour later I got a call from the dept director asking me to come interview. I agreed as I've jumped this far down the rabbit hole I thought why not see whats on the other side.

My only concern is this would take me back into IT proper which I've been out of since 2005. I've moved to a closely related field since then and moved up the ladder in that field quite a bit. Thanks in part to the economy my current position has become stagnant although I really like what I do. I've a nice office and my current position carries quite a bit of weight but the required $ just isn't there anymore. If I take this other job I'm back to work in a cube but making more $ with the option to move up the ladder.

I suppose I just want to put this out there while I chew things over in my mind. Your thoughts, comments and suggestions would be most welcome.

Comments

• aidan80aidan80 Member Posts: 147 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had a successful interview today and was unofficially informed the position was mine with 15% of the increase I requested. Now I'm thinking it over in my head. Do I really want to jump back on the IT bandwagon after being out of it properly for almost 9 years! There's some very good benefits on offer from the organisation, sick leave, vacation, 401k, in-house healthcare and gym/fitness program, overtime opportunities, paid educational opportunities etc. I've been made aware they really want me over there and was told I'd be in a higher level position within the first 6 months and back to what I currently do with a reasonable increase in pay at that time. It's a very attractive offer.
  • ksijurksijur Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    DO IT :) just make sure it's all on paper :D
  • kowboyekowboye Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I really don't see a reason not to go for it. Other than sacrificing office space, a shot at further advancement is one the reasons we stay in industry. What was the last attractive thing that you passed up? Yes, regret always proceeds the thought. Take the job.
    It's all on paper alright and it's all official. I got to go piss in a cup, do a physical and pass security checks and I'm done. Trying to be a good employee with my current employer I informed them of my decision. Expecting to hear thanks for all your hard work and good luck instead it was suggested I consider a counter offer. They are offering me the 25% I asked for, I get to keep the office, the flexibility and all the benefits of course, healthcare, dental, vision and retirement etc. Now to be totally honest the only reason I did go job hunting was because the pay was getting low. Now a 25% bump in pay would fix that. However I'm currently sitting in the middle of a small battle between two organisations that don't really like each other and it appears both seem intent on hiring me and/or keeping me around. Keeping in mind if I jump ship I'm taking many, many years worth of knowledge with me to the other organisation that would fast track them on a few projects they are currently struggling with. I can't say I've ever been in a position to have two organisations fighting over me as their choice employee.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    My recommendation is to never entertain a counter offer. We've touched on this many times here. Example: http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/74026-beware-counter-offer.html

From that post:
    Monkerz wrote: »

TEN REASONS FOR NOT ACCEPTING A COUNTER OFFER

Deciding to change jobs can be a very stressful situation. Embarking on the interview process can bring new dynamics to that stress level. Once you have made a decision to accept a new opportunity and to move ahead, the pressure and stress start to back off. If you allow yourself to be put into a counter offer situation, the pressure and stress rushes back into your life ten-fold, making your business and personal life extremely uncomfortable. All the reasons below are quite valid but with the emotional turbulence job change can bring about, we can often get sidetracked from the real reasons for our desire to change. One should be aware that in today's market, counter offers are quite common and individuals who are serious about making career moves should be prepared to deal with it head on and early on.

1. Your company loyalty will be in question.
    2. When there is downsizing, you'll probably be one of the first to go.
    3. Companies often have wage guidelines, is this raise coming out of your next pay raise?
    4. Do you actually want to work for a company where you have to resign to get what your worth in the marketplace?
    5. You should expect your company to be on the lookout for your replacement at a lower salary/rate.
    6. Statistics show people usually leave within six months or are let go within a year upon acceptance of a counter offer.
    7. Often your relationship with co-workers changes for the worse.
    8. Your loyalty will always be in question with your employer.
    9. Actually a counter offer is an insult. They believe you can be bought and also be manipulated.
    10. If you accept a counter offer, the reason you wanted to leave will either repeat itself or will still exist.
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    My recommendation is to never entertain a counter offer. We've touched on this many times here. Example: http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/74026-beware-counter-offer.html

From that post:

Solid (re)post.
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    --chris-- wrote: »
    Solid (re)post.

+1, thanks Cyber
  • ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    GREAT post, Cyber.

Completely agree with this.

and @aidan, go for it buddy.
  • tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    cyberguypr really hit the nail on the head with that post. I've seen a few guys take counter offers at previous employers and the issues continued, their loyalty was questioned, and last but not least they were angry with themselves that they didn't leave.
  • doverdover Member Posts: 184 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I hate to be the dissenting vote, but I did take a counter offer to stay at my current job and I have to say I've enjoyed it very much.

I had a heart-to-heart with both my immediate supervisor and the top-dog and told them about my reasons for not wanting to take my new job offer and my motivations for looking in the first place. We were able to find some common ground that met my immediate needs and removed much of the obstacles that I was facing. Not only has there never been a question of my loyalty to the organization but I've been much more included in the strategic direction of the organization.

Maybe that is the exception rather than the rule but I've been happy and that's all that matters. If you are where you want to be in all things professional, monetary (with the additional 25%), and social then I don't see a problem staying.

But if you have any doubts about resentment, advancement or jealousy, it might be better to move on.
    Thanks for all the responses they've been very useful to help me make a decision. I still have sometime before a final decision is made either way. To be fair to my current employer has tried numerous times to upgrade my position but have been denied by HR. Now the only reason I'd jump ship is the money to be fair, everything else here is great. I do have a lot to chew over but I don't believe loyalty is in question at all. I've always had an open and honest relationship with senior management here and both sides appreciate that. I'll take the current offer on the table from the new employer and give my two weeks notice today. If my current employer can find a way to give me what I'm asking within those two weeks I'd happily stay.
    I've read the article on the counter offer, thanks for posting it's given me something else to think about that isn't just a larger pay cheque. I spoke with my direct supervisor properly last week and he's very supportive of my decision to leave and do other things. To be fair I've always had a very good working relationship with the man and never had an issue. I don't get the feeling he want's me to go but genuinely believes this is a good move out of the organisation. However upper management are very keen to keep me around. This is quite interesting to me as this is the first time I've been in this position in my career. I'm chewing things over in my head.. stay and get the raise and maybe within a year or two be as stagnant as I am now. Jump ship for a bit less and maybe be in a higher level position in 6 months time with the full increase in salary as requested.

I also have a thought in the back of my mind that when top level management hear about giving an employee a 25% increase or lose them to a competitor, they may well say no. Just for the sake of keeping other employees in high value segments from threatening to leave unless their paid more. Trying to chew this over from as many view points as possible before I hand in my official notice.
  • TheCudderTheCudder Member Posts: 147 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Not saying that I've ever been in the situations, but counter offers aren't ALWAYS to be ignored. It really comes down to knowing your own worth and value to a company. If you posses a skill that they can probably easily replace in a matter of days or weeks, then of course --- don't entertain the counter offer and take the new job. On the otherhand, if you're TRUELY a valuable and critical asset to your company, it is something to consider. I hope you would know if you fall into the latter of the two.
    B.S. Information Technology Management | CompTIA A+ | CompTIA Security+ | Graduate Certificate in Information Assurance (In Progress)
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Have you talked to the company that is trying to hire you about the counter offer coming in at the 25% increase you want? Maybe if they really want you they will come back with the 25% you are looking for or more.
  • yeah yeahyeah yeah Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've taken a counter-offer that was a 35% raise. That offer also took me to the next level...a couple of levels. Went from being just one of the guys on the team to being one of the 3 key positions. It's all about your given situation and how you deal with it. If you just walk over there with an offer letter and say, "match it or I'm leaving"...well, that's on you.
    The position I occupy is a niche. They've spent a lot of time, money and energy having me train in this position. They can't unfortunately just hire another me off the street otherwise they would. Other me's are still very rare on the ground as are the positions we occupy. Part of what's on offer here is to go from funny enough another worker to putting me higher on the food chain within the division. However thanks to top level management they implement a pay freeze a number of years ago. Fast forward a few years.. I plus many others are looking around saying.. hang on a minute we're worth X + Y and we only just get X here plus our workload went up 50+% since they laid off X number of people. They've lost people over the years because of this. I think just now they are realizing they can't afford to allow the brain drain to continue therefore I was made an offer.
    Have you talked to the company that is trying to hire you about the counter offer coming in at the 25% increase you want? Maybe if they really want you they will come back with the 25% you are looking for or more.

Not yet, however they hit their ceiling of what they could offer already. I will make them aware soon on the off chance they attempt to match it.