First Security Certification?

WelshmanWelshman Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Firstly, i've been reading a lot of the threads posted regarding the most popular certifications in this section of the forum and i just wanted to say thank you for being such a great and helpful community.

Although i have a degree in software engineering, this will be my first real foray into direct security.

Im considering either the OSCP or the eLearnSecurity Professional course, then moving onto the OSCP after that. I currently work from my home office so dedicated time would not be a problem. I otherwise can't decide between the two. I'd love to jump in to the OSCP but wanted to get the opinions of some of the members here first.

Cheers gents!

Comments

• ramrunner800ramrunner800 Member Posts: 238
    If you have a good understanding of TCP/IP and the fundamentals of Linux and Windows operating systems then OSCP would be within your reach. It is a highly challenging cert, so prepare yourself. I'm not familiar with any of eLearnSecurity's courses firsthand, so I couldn't speak to that. Most people start with something like Security+ for their first cert, but with a software engineering background you could be able to skip it.
    Currently Studying For: GXPN
  • MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Currently in the OSCP, I'd say you'd probably want to start at something a little lower level. Had I done it again, I probably would have gone through eLearn's eCPPT course prior to taking the OSCP.
  • WelshmanWelshman Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies.

Would the ability to work/study full time hours every day towards the OSCP not affect your decision? As for further study, filling in gaps of knowledge and such.
  • ramrunner800ramrunner800 Member Posts: 238
    Welshman wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

Would the ability to work/study full time hours every day towards the OSCP not affect your decision? As for further study, filling in gaps of knowledge and such.

OSCP is an intensive course, and the more time you have to dedicate to it, the better. There is a significant amount of material to learn other than that supplied in the course manual, and of the lab machines will require lots of time spent racking your brain.
    Currently Studying For: GXPN
  • newjacknewjack Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Depends on experience, I think a good route would be Sec+ > SSCP > CISSP but it really depends on what you want to do, networking, forensics, pen testing. there are certs that are designed for those positions.
  • MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welshman wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.

I did prepare a little bit prior to registering for the OSCP, but I don't know how much that helped. I was/am in a little bit of a tight spot with the OSCP, as I don't have as much time to spend studying as I'd like. I would believe that if I had a little more experience with pen-testing tools (say through the eCPPT), I'd have an easier time with the OSCP.
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Keep in mind, this course is made for people who are able to learn on their own. They dont have have explicit instructions on how to do what. You watch the videos, and read the course document, and then you're basically off to the races on your own.
  • RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Security+, SY0-401 is very good exam to take for the entry level and can actually challenge if you're not versed in certain domains of it.

With a Degree in Software Engineering, I would actually look at GIAC Software Security.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The CSSLP is also good for software developers that want to specialize in software security from the inside out. Have a look at the CSSLP Candidate Information Bulletin for the details.
  • CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Lets start with this, what part of security interests you?